How do I make my friend stop? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

How do I make my friend stop?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: How do I make my friend stop?

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:57 pm

I would just hit the delete button and move on with my life.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:01 pm

I understand your concern in that you are trying to get her to realize that they aren't real. Am I right in thinking its not the fact you are getting all these e-mails as much as the fact you want her to realize what she thinks is true really isn't?

Anyway, other than sending her the snopes stuff back, I can't think of much else. Maybe even don't send the article, but just send her the link to the article that would force her to go to the site and read it. And make a personal message with each one just letting her know that its false. And then with the next one just include the previous on in that e-mail. Eventually you will be sending her an e-mail with ten snopes article link and maybe that will get her the idea faster. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:10 pm

Make a new email address, send it to her. Tell her that you changed your email and she should send you email to that one now. Never check that email and you are all set. It could be worse I get an email and a picture of my cousins kid everytime he blinks or so it seems.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:17 pm

mutantseabass wrote:Make a new email address, send it to her. Tell her that you changed your email and she should send you email to that one now. Never check that email and you are all set. It could be worse I get an email and a picture of my cousins kid everytime he blinks or so it seems.

I have that friend, too. So I get a couple of emails a month, with pictures, about their kids. Are the kids cute? Yep. Am I interested in their lives? Yep. But do I need one or two emails per month about them? No way, mano! The thing is, there is no telling that person that I don't want those emails. That would not be cool.

So like Vader suggested with these snopes fodder emails, I just ignore the "you gotta hear this about my kids" emails.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mutantseabass » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:31 pm

knapplc wrote:
mutantseabass wrote:Make a new email address, send it to her. Tell her that you changed your email and she should send you email to that one now. Never check that email and you are all set. It could be worse I get an email and a picture of my cousins kid everytime he blinks or so it seems.

I have that friend, too. So I get a couple of emails a month, with pictures, about their kids. Are the kids cute? Yep. Am I interested in their lives? Yep. But do I need one or two emails per month about them? No way, mano! The thing is, there is no telling that person that I don't want those emails. That would not be cool.

So like Vader suggested with these snopes fodder emails, I just ignore the "you gotta hear this about my kids" emails.

I would kill for a couple a month. I honestly get 5-10 a week easy. I just got a vacation one the other day. I seen so many pictures of his vacation/kid I feel like I was there.

"DAMMIT!!!!! I knew it, I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!!"-Immortal words of The Captain
mutantseabass
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:32 pm

Yeah, that was my point about just hitting delete and moving on. There is no point in risking upsetting someone you consider a friend. Once the initial effort has been made and ignored it's just time to move on.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:27 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:when you figure it out let me know so i can tell my wife how to stop. she does the same thing, along with forwarding me EVERY stupid chain letter she gets. i tell her i dont read them and only to send me funny stuff but she still does it anyway

it sounds like you've already told her, so i all i can say is just delete them as they come in...

When you figure it out let me know so I can tell my mother to stop. She does the same thing, along with forwarding me EVERY stupid chain letter she gets.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Apropos to Lung's post - here's the Paul Harvey moment of this thread. This "friend" is not just a friend.

She's my mom.

I figured I'd get better, more direct responses from the friend angle. And mom is my friend, of course. But it sort of also pains me a bit that this smart woman, whom I respect, falls victim to these ridiculous emails.

So now you know why I'm not too direct with her. I was hoping for a clever way to get this to stop, but maybe that clever idea hasn't been invented yet.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:16 pm

knapplc wrote:Apropos to Lung's post - here's the Paul Harvey moment of this thread. This "friend" is not just a friend.

She's my mom.

I figured I'd get better, more direct responses from the friend angle. And mom is my friend, of course. But it sort of also pains me a bit that this smart woman, whom I respect, falls victim to these ridiculous emails.

So now you know why I'm not too direct with her. I was hoping for a clever way to get this to stop, but maybe that clever idea hasn't been invented yet.

I got the gist from your post that this was somebody you legitimately didn't want to keep on getting suckered in by these e-mails. :-/

Does she read Dear Abby? You could write in there and leave the clipping where she would see it. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Captain » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:26 pm

Whatever happened to just being honest? I mean if they are your friend, a true friend, then you should be able to tell them anything, including a request to stop sending you chain letter emails. There is nothing wrong with being honest with someone as long as it's done tactfully.

I would have initially done the same thing as you knapp, but apparently she's didn't pick up the hint, so the next step is to tell her to stop forwarding you these emails.

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk