Top 10 NFL Busts - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Top 10 NFL Busts

Moderator: Football Moderators

Top 10 NFL Busts

Postby mikus » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:56 pm

With training camp on the horizon, many fans will get their first look at all of the newly drafted rookies.

With that in mind, The Hazean has decided to take a trip down memory lane and look at all of the busts of previous NFL drafts. So as you make your way to your favorite teams’ training camp this summer to get that first-hand glance of your prized rookies, remember these guys. They have poured the foundation for the next great NFL bust, who one day may crack this esteemed list.

Get a running start and make the jump!!! And remember to vote for in the poll at the bottom of the post.

10. Cedric Benson (4th overall, Chicago Bears, 2005): Benson’s latest arrest for drunk driving was a blessing in disguise for Chicago. Following the arrest, Chicago kicked Benson to the curb. Apparently, Benson isn’t as good as he thinks he is, seeing how no team has yet to sign him.

... more ...

Full Story

Appears to be more of a recent memory kind of thing ... Not sure if Curtis Enis deserves to be on this list or not though, especially as high as he is ranked, but I do remember a lot of hype about the guy.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: Top 10 NFL Busts

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:00 am

Though that list brings up some very memorable names, it's really not very impressive, IMO. These guys were certainly busts, but Tony Mandarich and The Boz are notably missing from the list and are far more worthy than say Rae Carruth, who was taken late in the first round. Mandarich was a #2 overall pick and Boz was a hype machine who's one of the most recognizable busts of all time. As are Aundray Bruce, Tim Couch, Andre Ware, David Klingler and a few others. Heck, Bruce and Couch were first overall selections and had far less productive careers than Vick. While MV7 might be a bust, he did help the Falcons reach the playoffs on more than one occassion. Can the same be said for Tim Couch and the Browns?
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:44 am

mikus wrote:Appears to be more of a recent memory kind of thing ... Not sure if Curtis Enis deserves to be on this list or not though, especially as high as he is ranked, but I do remember a lot of hype about the guy.

I actually thought of Curtis Enis and Darnell Autry just from reading the title, among others that were listed...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:48 am

Pretty poorly done list. There is no way that Vick, or even Charles Rogers, should be anywhere near that list. Vick led his team to a playoff win and was one of the most exciting players in the league,. Far from a bust. Rogers showed some real skill prior to turning into Mr. Glass. Too many more deserving flops, Mike WIlliams for example, for CRog to be listed.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby TheDiplomats » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:25 pm

There was actually a Top 10 Busts show on NFL network this past week. That had the top 10 busts of all time, and they did a much better job than this list. It re runs all the time in the summer so if you have NFL Network, keep an eye out for it. It was pretty entertaining and yes, it had the Boz on there.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:01 pm

Demetrius Underwood gets no respect.

The guy went AWOL a day into training camp, then was found days later trying to kill himself with a knife in the middle of a highway. Never played a down in the NFL.

He is the ultimate bust.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:52 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Demetrius Underwood gets no respect.

The guy went AWOL a day into training camp, then was found days later trying to kill himself with a knife in the middle of a highway. Never played a down in the NFL.

He is the ultimate bust.

Man, that's a good call. I completely forgot about that poor guy.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

He is the ultimate bust.

Man, that's a good call. I completely forgot about that poor guy.

He played a few downs for Miami, but I agree that he was a major tool and failed at football and luckily for him he failed at suicide. You put him in the top 10 and he might not fail.
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:39 pm

He is the ultimate bust.

I think it depends on what you consider a bust. A mental issue I don't consider a bust. A guy that is healthy and is hyped and drafted high, but sucks, is a bust IMO
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Popcynical » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:40 pm

Yep you gotta include Mandarich. We drafted the guy over Barry Sanders.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk