Commissioners that do auction drafts... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commissioners that do auction drafts...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commissioners that do auction drafts...

Postby Raiter » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:52 pm

I am a commissioner of a league for the last 8 years. Several years ago we switched to Auction style draft in the Poker Format. We have used many things to represent when a team has passed, always some sort of flag. the last 2 years we have been using stick flags in flower pots that you can pull in and out of. My question to you commissioners is i want to change the flag system and want to hear what some of you that use the same format we do. I was thinking some sort of light system. I don't know a cost effective way to do it and would be willing to hear all ideas. The flag system we use has its downsides but its better then holding your hands up. I just want to fancy it up a little and make it less cluttered. Ideas?

-Raiter
Raiter
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commissioners that do auction drafts...

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:34 am

I'm not sure that this will help, but last year we switched one of our leagues to the auction style. I was the auctioneer (not sure if that's the right word, but I'm going with it), and all I did was recognize people's bids as they shouted them out, and also announced the "Going once, going twice, sold"...which was cool. Any disagreements among who announced a bid first was voted on by the league to make sure everything was fair.

What is the "auction style draft in the poker format"? And why do teams pass? Can't any team bid anytime?
BALCO All-Stars
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rycher » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Does anyone hold auction drafts online or is it too time consuming? I have never done an auction draft but am intrigued.
rycher
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Dexter II » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:05 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:What is the "auction style draft in the poker format"? And why do teams pass? Can't any team bid anytime?

Poker format is where you go in order by owner and either increase the bid or pass, if you pass you can't bid on that player again.

Open format is when you can bid at any time on a player until the auctioneer says "sold".

Hope that helps.
Fatalism Helps with the Jump but not the Fall
Dexter II
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Web SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby tpflanz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:19 pm

rycher wrote:Does anyone hold auction drafts online or is it too time consuming? I have never done an auction draft but am intrigued.

I have a few auction leagues online. We use fantasyauctioneer.com and it works great.
tpflanz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tpflanz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Raiter wrote:I am a commissioner of a league for the last 8 years. Several years ago we switched to Auction style draft in the Poker Format. We have used many things to represent when a team has passed, always some sort of flag. the last 2 years we have been using stick flags in flower pots that you can pull in and out of. My question to you commissioners is i want to change the flag system and want to hear what some of you that use the same format we do. I was thinking some sort of light system. I don't know a cost effective way to do it and would be willing to hear all ideas. The flag system we use has its downsides but its better then holding your hands up. I just want to fancy it up a little and make it less cluttered. Ideas?

-Raiter

Why not just eliminate the "poker format?" I'm not sure as an owner that I would enjoy that format in an auction. Not to mention, your auction will go much quicker.
tpflanz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Raiter » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:17 pm

[/quote]

Why not just eliminate the "poker format?" I'm not sure as an owner that I would enjoy that format in an auction. Not to mention, your auction will go much quicker.[/quote]

that is not the issue. we have been doing poker format for many years and all enjoy it the best. My question was to Commish's that do poker format and i am still hoping to hear some feedback. thanks
Raiter
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:58 pm

ive never done a live auction, but i was thinkingthsi might work good. go get a bunch of those switch on red circle lights that people put on their bikes for when they bike at night. this way each guy can switch on his light in front of him when he passes, and im sure they arent that expensive.
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Raiter » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:33 pm

shawngee03 wrote:ive never done a live auction, but i was thinkingthsi might work good. go get a bunch of those switch on red circle lights that people put on their bikes for when they bike at night. this way each guy can switch on his light in front of him when he passes, and im sure they arent that expensive.

thats a good idea, ill look in to that. Any other ideas?
Raiter
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Return to Commissioner's Corner