Jonathan Vilma - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jonathan Vilma

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jonathan Vilma

Postby The Franchise » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:20 pm

For those of us in IDP leagues, what is his outlook for 2008? Can he get back to the top-10 ranking now that he's back in a 4-3 scheme?
The Franchise
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jonathan Vilma

Postby mikus » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:01 am

I think he certainly has that potential. Many are mentioning the Saints' defense as a sleeper this year. Not sure if I buy into yet, because I am not convinced of the secondary. But the line (Will Smith, Sedrick Ellis, Brian Young/Hollis Thomas, Charles Grant) should be above average, giving Vilma the ability to roam and eat tackles. Looks to me like the Saints are using the Giants' model from last year: A weak secondary masked by a badass line. Time will tell if the Saints' line can be as good, but Vilma should be able to collect a whole lot of tackles this year.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby The Franchise » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:51 am

Also, most of the info that I've read says that he's close to 100% and should be ready for camp.
The Franchise
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby sappisgod » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:58 am

I really liked the Saints off-season defensively, which I hate to say as a Buc fan. Tracy Porter is a nice man CB prospect who can tackle, Randall Gay will start right away and be an upgrade. Ellis is in the mold of Amobi Okoye only stronger and with a higher ceiling, DeMario Pressley is a nice 4-3 NT prospect. And to top it off, Vilma is a complete stud 4-3 Mike. It should take their defense as a whole a while to come into their own, so I wouldn't really think it's on the rise now, but Vilma alone should put up some pretty nice stats even if the line doesn't take shape immediately. The Jets line when he was ROTY wasn't anything special, neither was DeMeco Ryans'(the slightly slower Jon Vilma) line when he won ROTY. Both are guys who can get it done without a ton of help.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby osu99 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:32 am

that front four is going to open JV up to make a lot of plays. i would expect big things from the former defensive ROY
osu99
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:02 am

If his knee is healthy, I see no reason why he shouldn;t be very productive again. His return to a 4-3 defense plus the Saints have a strong D-line should equal good results for Vilma.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:12 pm

My only concern with him is the knee. Not that I have some information that his rehab is going poorly, just that he will be a beast when/if healthy. If the knee is healthy, he is by far the best player on the defense, and he will rack up tackles.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk