Who is LT's back-up? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is LT's back-up?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Who is LT's back-up?

Postby BigBadBrawler » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:38 pm

aaawall91 wrote:Hester is the equivalent to Lorenzo Neal. His value will rise just slightly if LT goes down as his role will be pretty much the same with a slight increase in short yardage.

I would say Sproles gets his chance at the majority of the carries if LT were to go down, but would be a short leash which is typical in these kind of situations in order to give all backs a chance to try and take the reins.

I know about nothing on Thomas as well but him and Sproles are the two backs I would handcuff LT with in deep dynastys.

In a league that gives points for PR/KR yardage he is one of the better handcuffs out there, especially if you have LT.

I'll politely disagree. Sproles is tiny. He's like 5'6" and weighs 180lbs. He'll never get more than 10 carries a game even if LT goes down. He just wouldn't be able to take the wear and tear of the position. And Hester is nowhere near a Lorenzo Neal type player. He's a primarily rushing FB, whereas Neal was one of the preeminent blockers in the league. Plus, SD used a 3rd Round pick (and traded up) for Hester because of his rushing accomplishments at LSU (not his blocking) and the fact that they had a need at RB2. They've already come out and said they plan to use him as a RB, and they've been lining him up at RB, FB, and WR in camp so far. Sproles has very limited upside IMO, and the only one of Sproles/Hester/Thomas that I'd be targeting is Hester (and this is coming from a dynasty LT owner)...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby ninremix » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:23 pm

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/players/player-all-info.php?id=HestJa00

Hester figures to see a good number of touches, especially with the lack of a true fullback for the first time in years. With the fullback's role greatly reduced, Hester figures to get a lot of the short yardage carries that used to go Lorenzo Neal's way. Not only that, but he can produce as an every-down back for short periods of time. The Chargers thought highly enough of him to trade next year's second round pick in order to grab him in this year's third round. If he's as good as the Chargers believe, he may be a fantastic short-term solution for the role of backing up Tomlinson.

I an still not sure who i am going to pick up as LT's back up but i am leaning toward Hester but so much cna change in the next couple of weeks.
ninremix
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:33 pm

CHARGERS: Speedy Sproles shows he's ready to be L.T.'s new backup
By MIKE SULLIVAN - Staff Writer | Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:19 AM PDT ∞

SAN DIEGO ---- Darren Sproles did a pretty good LaDainian Tomlinson impression on Monday night.

The diminutive running back took some steps ---- fast little ones that chew up yardage ---- toward cementing himself as Tomlinson's backup with a strong performance in the Chargers' 18-17 exhibition victory over the Seattle Seahawks before 52,763 at Qualcomm Stadium.

Sproles gained 102 yards on 13 carries while continuing to negate the theory that he can't be more than a situational, change-of-pace back. He had 94 yards on 10 first-half carries.

"There has not been any question in my mind," Chargers coach Norv Turner said of whether Sproles can be counted on for heavy duty. "That question got answered a year ago after the Detroit game (when Sproles rushed for 122 yards).

"You need all your guys. Darren is an explosive player. There are certain runs that he's very, very comfortable with. We obviously get L.T. back and playing, and then mix in Sprolesy and Jacob (Hester), and I think we're going to have a good group there."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/08 ... 19a37f.txt
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Previous

Return to Football Talk