Plaxico Burress
Anquan Boldin
Chad Johnson
Roy Williams

Greg Jennings
Santonio Holmes
Donald Driver
Marvin Harrison

Don't really need to say much about the tier one guys. The best WR's on teams that will consistently get them the ball.

The second tier guys are pretty much interchangeable. I wouldn't argue if somebody reversed the order and put Fitz on the top of that tier. I personally like them in the order listed. I think Edwards and Johnson will be a little more consistent. Colston started to get a lot of looks near the end zone at the end of the season. Smith will have to deal with a QB that will be a little rusty to start the season. Fitz will have some competition with Boldin and may have to deal with some QB controversy.

Housh and Marshall are borderline tier 2 guys. I wouldn't argue with somebody that ranked them higher. The other guys in tier 3 are good but have some question marks.

Holmes and Jennings are the sleepers. I expect big things from these guys.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Not a bad list, but I don't like how you broke that top group into tiers, if thats the case you should put Moss in tier 1 by himself, because all these guys:

Terrell Owens
Reggie Wayne
Braylon Edwards
Andre Johnson
Marques Colston
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald

Can easily put up 1300 and 10, some like Wayne maybe more yards and less td's, but I think the order of these guys could change from anywhere and this type of production is within their grasp, I think they are grouped too closely and they all have the type of potential to finish as a top 5 WR.
Last edited by LS2throwed on Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby John Galt » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:19 pm

I think Colston will be top 5 this year and if Jake has recovered then I think Steve Smith can move up as well. Moss will come back down to earth or at least return to the solar system.
John Galt
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:43 am

Reggie Wayne is a sucker pick IMO.

The guy just does not score enough TDs. And if Marvin returns he becomes second fiddle again. Wayne is barely inside my top10 WR and I see him consistently ranked up in the top2 or top3. I realize there is some uncertainty in the top WRs this year, but Wayne just does not belong in the "elite" category.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Timbathia » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:08 am

Kensat30 wrote:Reggie Wayne is a sucker pick IMO.

The guy just does not score enough TDs. And if Marvin returns he becomes second fiddle again. Wayne is barely inside my top10 WR and I see him consistently ranked up in the top2 or top3. I realize there is some uncertainty in the top WRs this year, but Wayne just does not belong in the "elite" category.

Wayne had 1300 yds and 9 tds as second fiddle the year before last, and based on there being no way Marvin is a better player in 2008 than he was in 2006, this then has to be Wayne's floor (if he remains healthy).

I agree he doesnt appear capable of putting up RMoss or TO numbers, and guys like Edwardsalso have a bigger upside, but Reggie is as low risk as you can get for a top flight receiver in that offense.

I think I would split it

Moss

TO
Edwards

Fitzgerald
AJohnson
Wayne
Last edited by Timbathia on Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Wenchtamer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:34 am

No way, dude. Wayne has been a top 10 WR the past two years when he was second fiddle to a Harrison in his prime. After Moss and Owens, Wayne is as a sure thing as there is. I think you could rank Braylon ahead of him this year, but besides that, why is anyone else more deserving? Andre Johnson played half a season last year. Steve Smith had a disappointing (for him) year, with 1000/9. Fitzgerald and Wayne are interchangable in my book, except for the fact that Wayne has Manning and Fitz has a question mark.

Who has been as consistant as Wayne in the past few years, besides maybe Owens? Barely top 10? You crazy, hombre.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:59 am

Last year Wayne had 10 TDs in his best season to date. Despite having 100+ catches and 1500 yards, the guy only scored 10 freaking times. The two years before that he had 9 and 5 TDs. Before this past season, it was a coinflip whether or not Reggie Wayne would have better production than Donald Driver. It really goes to show you that some players for whatever reason are undervalued each and every season, while some players are overvalued. Reggie Wayne must be taking modeling classes or something, because he is this years sexy pick.

If you're going to overvalue someone in 2008, try on Braylon Edwards. You know, the guy who scored 16 times last year. Try Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, the guys who were scoring TDs left and right, game in and game out for an extended period of times last year. Try Steve Smith, a guy who had 4 TDs in the first two games before his starting QB went out for the year. Because I guarantee these other guys are not a safe 1200/9. These guy have the potential to be much more than that.

You guys go ahead and take a consistent 1300/9 or whatever Wayne is with the #2 or #3 WR off the board (hopefully its not 5 again). That is a sucker pick to me. Safe with very little upside. That is like drafting Clinton Portis this year as the #5 RB. That pick is not beating anyone. I can buy into the whole "don't lose" in the first few rounds of your draft theory, but Reggie Wayne as the #2 WR off the board is taking that to an insane level.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:25 am

Kensat30 wrote:You guys go ahead and take a consistent 1300/9 or whatever Wayne is with the #2 or #3 WR off the board (hopefully its not 5 again). That is a sucker pick to me. Safe with very little upside. That is like drafting Clinton Portis this year as the #5 RB. That pick is not beating anyone. I can buy into the whole "don't lose" in the first few rounds of your draft theory, but Reggie Wayne as the #2 WR off the board is taking that to an insane level.

Sure thing, I love Wayne this year.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MrTwo94 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:40 am

To not rank Andre Johnson in the top 5 is to say you are banking on him getting hurt again. He put up elite PPG numbers last year even when coming off an injury and sometimes playing w/a backup QB.

Also, you accidentally said that Holmes and Jennings are the sleepers. I think you meant to say that they are the most over-hyped players in the draft. They are both getting drafted way before they should due to fluke TD/rec numbers. When their TD numbers come back to where they should be, these guys will be relative busts. They don't catch a lot of passes and they both put up a lot of TD's. This fact alone will lead to them being drafted too early. Edwards is a similar, but lesser situation. Anderson is not as good as his numbers suggested last year. There is no way Edwards puts up 16 TD's again. I laugh at anyone drafting him ahead of AJ. Even if Schaub gets hurt, Sage Rosenfels was effective at getting AJ the ball, although the long TD was less likely. If Schaub stays healthy, I could see AJ being the #1 overall WR (given Moss's second half decline, I don't expect a 22 TD repeat).
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dmacblue » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:34 am

I am more concerned the effect of maybe Anderson is replaced by Quinn having on Edwards than the effect of any potential Marvin return has on Wayne.

Wayne has proved he can be a WR1 even with Marvin playing full time.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Next

Return to Football Talk