Ranking the Top 20 WR's. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby RJ24VC15 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:50 am

Chad Johnson is way too low.
Image
RJ24VC15
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Cafe Writer
Posts: 783
Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:24 am

Kensat30 wrote:Last year Wayne had 10 TDs in his best season to date. Despite having 100+ catches and 1500 yards, the guy only scored 10 freaking times. The two years before that he had 9 and 5 TDs. Before this past season, it was a coinflip whether or not Reggie Wayne would have better production than Donald Driver. It really goes to show you that some players for whatever reason are undervalued each and every season, while some players are overvalued. Reggie Wayne must be taking modeling classes or something, because he is this years sexy pick.

If you're going to overvalue someone in 2008, try on Braylon Edwards. You know, the guy who scored 16 times last year. Try Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald, the guys who were scoring TDs left and right, game in and game out for an extended period of times last year. Try Steve Smith, a guy who had 4 TDs in the first two games before his starting QB went out for the year. Because I guarantee these other guys are not a safe 1200/9. These guy have the potential to be much more than that.

You guys go ahead and take a consistent 1300/9 or whatever Wayne is with the #2 or #3 WR off the board (hopefully its not 5 again). That is a sucker pick to me. Safe with very little upside. That is like drafting Clinton Portis this year as the #5 RB. That pick is not beating anyone. I can buy into the whole "don't lose" in the first few rounds of your draft theory, but Reggie Wayne as the #2 WR off the board is taking that to an insane level.




AJ had quite a few problems with his knee last year, how about playing a full 16 games before you select a guy early in the 2nd? He also had his knee scoped once again this off-season, I don't know about you but I'm not spending that high of a pick on a guy who is having troubles with his knees, the slight upgrade in potential AJ offers you over Wayne, Wayne trumps that because of his QB and his consistency, as well as him showing he has a clear injury record and will play every game.

Steve Smith, yes he has potential if Delhomme plays but do you want to take that risk, that high? Again why spend a high 2nd when you have no clue what his production will turn into if Delhomme isn't the same or gets hurt again, he's worth a high pick because of his potential, but he still has plenty of question marks, alot more then Wayne, but its still not high enough to draft him before Wayne.


Braylon Edwards I can buy, but then again your banking on Anderson having another great year throwing the ball, and thats not a given...Stallworth is an option maybe that brings his TD totals down towards 10, but if your in a PPR league I'd be willing to bet he won't outscore Wayne because he won't have as many receptions or yards, and he still doesn't trump the value/security of Wayne.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:31 am

RJ24VC15 wrote:Chad Johnson is way too low.


CJ reminds me of ARod 2 years ago. He had a subpar year, some off the field problems so he fell in the draft and then went on to have a monster year. I think Chad is out to prove something this year and I think the addition of Utecht will force teams to cover Chad one on one. At least I hope. Utecht is not Chris Henry, but if you look at Chad's numbers with Henry as opposed to those without you will see a huge decline. He gets doubled every time down the field.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby SirPimpin08 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:50 am

since when is 10 td's nto a good year for a wr? I guess this is the Randy Moss era when you need 20 to have a good year :-t
SirPimpin08
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff


Posts: 179
Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:59 pm

Polar Bear wrote:
RJ24VC15 wrote:Chad Johnson is way too low.


CJ reminds me of ARod 2 years ago. He had a subpar year, some off the field problems so he fell in the draft and then went on to have a monster year. I think Chad is out to prove something this year and I think the addition of Utecht will force teams to cover Chad one on one. At least I hope. Utecht is not Chris Henry, but if you look at Chad's numbers with Henry as opposed to those without you will see a huge decline. He gets doubled every time down the field.




The amount of flack he caught on these boards last year was pretty ridiculous for a guy with 1400+ yds, 90+ receptions and 8 TD's, in a "down season" he can post numbers relatively close to Reggie Wayne, yet Chad is being drafted in the 3rd and 4th rounds while Wayne is going early 2nd, I can't remember the last game Chad missed either...I understand he has some huge games and some decent ones, but when his worst season is 1300 and 7 in the last 6 years, I don't see how he can be ranked so low.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby skibrett15 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:07 pm

MrTwo94 wrote:To not rank Andre Johnson in the top 5 is to say you are banking on him getting hurt again. He put up elite PPG numbers last year even when coming off an injury and sometimes playing w/a backup QB.

Also, you accidentally said that Holmes and Jennings are the sleepers. I think you meant to say that they are the most over-hyped players in the draft. They are both getting drafted way before they should due to fluke TD/rec numbers. When their TD numbers come back to where they should be, these guys will be relative busts. They don't catch a lot of passes and they both put up a lot of TD's. This fact alone will lead to them being drafted too early. Edwards is a similar, but lesser situation. Anderson is not as good as his numbers suggested last year. There is no way Edwards puts up 16 TD's again. I laugh at anyone drafting him ahead of AJ. Even if Schaub gets hurt, Sage Rosenfels was effective at getting AJ the ball, although the long TD was less likely. If Schaub stays healthy, I could see AJ being the #1 overall WR (given Moss's second half decline, I don't expect a 22 TD repeat).

You can definitely look at it that way, and I do see your point. You could also say Jennings and Holmes are moving into a new role as no. 1 guys on their respective teams, and have been improving every single year so they look like guys who could break into the top 10. I see an increase in yards and a drop in TDs for jennings. Holmes I'm not sure about.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 5057
Joined: 17 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: At the Mafia Cafe

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:43 pm

Somehow in my mocks Reggie Wayne never ends up on my team. I guess I am more of an upside drafter rather than safe drafter when it comes to WR. Either that or I feel like I can just wait another round for guys who are getting overlooked (Colston and Housh for example). Colston started cold about the first quarter of the season and then heated up. Housh was, what, easily top 5 until Chris Henry reared his ugly head. Housh had a blistering 62 catches for 674 and 10 scores in the first 8 games and then 50 catches for 469 and 2 scores the rest of the year. Henry is since gone and I expect a bigger year from Housh with CJ still catching all the No. 1 corner coverage. I'll also take Steve Smith in the 3rd as well with Delhomme back and Hackett and Moose drawing some double and even triple teams at times last year away from him. I guess what usually happens is I grab my 2nd back in the 2nd or my first if I've taken Moss and then grab one of these guys typically in the 3rd. I guess it's not that I don't value Wayne as a 2nd rounder it's just that the value dictates I wait until the 3rd to take someone else who will most likely match or outperform him.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:29 pm

I also don't get how people overlook the fact that Wayne has his own sort of upside, he posted 12 TD's four years ago as the #2 WR, so I certainly don't think 8 or 9 TD's is his ceiling now, thats his floor, but he can easily have a 100 catch, 1500/13 type season, I'm sure most of us would take that with a WR1, so yes he is a relatively safe pick but it's not as if he doesn't provide his own upside...If I were a gambling man I'd be willing to bet he hasn't had his best season yet, and in PPR leagues he will more then likely end up with more catches and yards then guys like Edwards and AJ, so I can see him being taken before all of those guys.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby lsufan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:07 pm

Wow!!! :-*

I wasn't sure I was going to get much of a response on this post.

I still feel like Wayne is the third best WR and put him above Edwards and Johnson(who I really like by the way) because of his consistency. I also like the fact that he plays on the pass happy Colts. I expect big things from Edwards and Johnson but lower them on my list do to risk. If I am going to use a 2nd round pick on a WR, I want a guy that gets consistent numbers on a good team.

Moss is really in his own tier and the only player I would draft in the first round. I really can't argue with how people rank the rest of tier one and two. I could probably rewrite my first post and make a argument that Fitz is the 2nd or 3rd best WR.

Looking back I do feel like I ranked CJ a little too low. I am considering bumping him up around Housh and Marshall.
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1461
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Shreveport,LA

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby lsufan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:14 pm

MrTwo94 wrote:To not rank Andre Johnson in the top 5 is to say you are banking on him getting hurt again. He put up elite PPG numbers last year even when coming off an injury and sometimes playing w/a backup QB.

Also, you accidentally said that Holmes and Jennings are the sleepers. I think you meant to say that they are the most over-hyped players in the draft. They are both getting drafted way before they should due to fluke TD/rec numbers. When their TD numbers come back to where they should be, these guys will be relative busts. They don't catch a lot of passes and they both put up a lot of TD's. This fact alone will lead to them being drafted too early. Edwards is a similar, but lesser situation. Anderson is not as good as his numbers suggested last year. There is no way Edwards puts up 16 TD's again. I laugh at anyone drafting him ahead of AJ. Even if Schaub gets hurt, Sage Rosenfels waseffective at getting AJ the ball, although the long TD was less likely. If Schaub stays healthy, I could see AJ being the #1 overall WR (given Moss's second half decline, I don't expect a 22 TD repeat).


I actually ranked Johnson 5th in my rankings. I expect big things from him.

Holmes and Jennings are definitely players to watch. I look at the rest of the WR's available and just feel like they have enough upside to make the top 20.

LS2throwed wrote: AJ had quite a few problems with his knee last year, how about playing a full 16 games before you select a guy early in the 2nd? He also had his knee scoped once again this off-season, I don't know about you but I'm not spending that high of a pick on a guy who is having troubles with his knees, the slight upgrade in potential AJ offers you over Wayne, Wayne trumps that because of his QB and his consistency, as well as him showing he has a clear injury record and will play every game.

Steve Smith, yes he has potential if Delhomme plays but do you want to take that risk, that high? Again why spend a high 2nd when you have no clue what his production will turn into if Delhomme isn't the same or gets hurt again, he's worth a high pick because of his potential, but he still has plenty of question marks, alot more then Wayne, but its still not high enough to draft him before Wayne.

Braylon Edwards I can buy, but then again your banking on Anderson having another great year throwing the ball, and thats not a given...Stallworth is an option maybe that brings his TD totals down towards 10, but if your in a PPR league I'd be willing to bet he won't outscore Wayne because he won't have as many receptions or yards, and he still doesn't trump the value/security of Wayne.


LS2throwed pretty much sums up why I rank Wayne 3rd. Thanks. ;-D
lsufan
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1461
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Shreveport,LA

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 6:24 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact