Ranking the Top 20 WR's. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby Azrael » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:15 pm

Wayne scored 12 TDs playing 2nd fiddle when Manning threw 49. Let's not forget that. I believe he only had the production that he did last year because Harrison was hurt so long. I don't see how you can expect much more than what Wayne did last year considering he caught nearly 20 more balls and 200 more yards than he ever had before.

Yes the Colts are in a pass happy offense but they have many weapons as well. If Harrison cannot play I think Gonzalez and possibly Addai get worked into the offense more. 100+ catches with 1,500 yards and double digit scores is a huge year. You can look back through the stats the last few years and there just aren't many players who do that.

Wayne will only end up with more catches than AJ if he is hurt.

But like I said, I'll gladly take Colston, S. Smith, or Housh, guys I can get a full round later that have similar or better upside.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:39 am

I think a lot people when they talk WRs, they are talking about individual players. Nothing wrong with that, but my gripes against Reggie Wayne at WR#2 off the board is due to philosophy. I grab the #2 WR off the board hoping and pretty much expecting to land a stud, not just a WR#1. If I grab a "safe and reliable" WR there, he sure as hell better have a REALLY long track record and at least one season of stud success. The guy who fits that type of mold is Marvin Harrison, circa 2006. That is the type of guy who I can draft #2 overall and not feel too bad about even if I know deep down he has virtually no shot at putting up a 1600/16 type season.

When were talking about a guy who has an absolute ceiling of around 12 TDs, and an expected value of closer to 9 TDs, who doesn't have a history of seasons with a ton of yardage or catches, and who had his biggest seasons when his QB set records and when the longtime WR#1 on his team got injured for an extended period of time... That just screams to me overvalued pick. There is no way I drop that kind of coin on a guy like that.

I feel like I can get top10 WRs in the 3rd even 4th round of the draft pretty easily. When you take WR#2 off the board, you are talking early to mid second round. If I'm forgoing potential stud RBs at the point in the draft, there sure as hell better be a major ROI. At that point, I think about taking a shot at someone who can come in and score 15 TDs and make a difference for my team. That doesn't mean I reach and grab Andre Johnson with the 12th pick in my draft, that means I am only spending that pick if I have a strong feeling that there is a difference maker on the board.

Bottomline, Reggie Wayne for me does not have #1 scoring fantasy WR potential. Sure he can easily finish top10, but so can a boatload of other guys you draft later. I have confidence he can do well and he should do well, but that doesn't make him worth a top15 or top20 pick in the draft. To me that is a very risky and foolish pick no matter how "consistent" of a player Reggie Wayne has demonstrated himself to be thus far. He reminds me a whole lot of Chad Johnson in previous years. Good but not great.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby sappisgod » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:55 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Braylon Edwards I can buy, but then again your banking on Anderson having another great year throwing the ball, and thats not a given...Stallworth is an option maybe that brings his TD totals down towards 10, but if your in a PPR league I'd be willing to bet he won't outscore Wayne because he won't have as many receptions or yards, and he still doesn't trump the value/security of Wayne.

Anderson didn't really have such an amazing year IMO. He threw the deep ball well, which is one of his strengths, he was bailed out by arguably the top duo of targets in the NFL, and had the help of a top notch line. Anderson himself wasn't amazing, being well below average in completion percentage and one of the most prone QBs to interceptions.

I wouldn't really think he's incapable of a repeat performance, I'd actually expect it. He's an average talent in a perfect situation, people dwell a bit much on the average talent part.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:42 pm

sappisgod wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Braylon Edwards I can buy, but then again your banking on Anderson having another great year throwing the ball, and thats not a given...Stallworth is an option maybe that brings his TD totals down towards 10, but if your in a PPR league I'd be willing to bet he won't outscore Wayne because he won't have as many receptions or yards, and he still doesn't trump the value/security of Wayne.

Anderson didn't really have such an amazing year IMO. He threw the deep ball well, which is one of his strengths, he was bailed out by arguably the top duo of targets in the NFL, and had the help of a top notch line. Anderson himself wasn't amazing, being well below average in completion percentage and one of the most prone QBs to interceptions.

I wouldn't really think he's incapable of a repeat performance, I'd actually expect it. He's an average talent in a perfect situation, people dwell a bit much on the average talent part.

I didn't say he had an amazing year, or that he is so talented, in fact I never even used the word amazing...I just said he had a great year throwing the ball, thats just judging by his TD totals which reflect Braylon...I feel the same way you do about him honestly, and don't think he's anything special, but with that O-line and those weapons its hard to fail, but I could easily see him come back and play alot worse, thus bringing Edwards to totals down, and Edwards got most of those looks/targets without a decent #2 WR option, they have that this year, so who knows how that plays out...That was my only point, I don't like Anderson, he has bad accuracy and he will have to show me alot more consistency before I jump on the hype bandwagon.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby sappisgod » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:26 am

LS2throwed wrote:I didn't say he had an amazing year, or that he is so talented, in fact I never even used the word amazing...I just said he had a great year throwing the ball, thats just judging by his TD totals which reflect Braylon...I feel the same way you do about him honestly, and don't think he's anything special, but with that O-line and those weapons its hard to fail, but I could easily see him come back and play alot worse, thus bringing Edwards to totals down, and Edwards got most of those looks/targets without a decent #2 WR option, they have that this year, so who knows how that plays out...That was my only point, I don't like Anderson, he has bad accuracy and he will have to show me alot more consistency before I jump on the hype bandwagon.

No, I meant Anderson played about how he should. He wasn't really good by any means, he just played his game and benefited greatly from the immense talent around him. I think it's rather safe to say he is capable of a repeat performance, and that it is likely. Like, he had bad accuracy last year with the exception of his deep ball, and still put up those numbers. So I don't know why his poor accuracy would sour you on him. He could very well still have poor accuracy this year and still put up a similar stat line. There might even be a better chance that he improves in that area, rather than regresses.

Donte Stallworth is a pretty league-average WR, despite some of the love he gets, and is on his 4th team in 4 years. He's a nice deep threat, but little else. A lot of those guys don't usually have high TD numbers, and Stallworth himself has averaged little over 5 TDs per season since entering the league. He might take away one or two, but I still see Edwards putting up high TD numbers, as he's a guy you base your offense around and lock onto in the red zone.
sappisgod
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby FantasyFootballRocks » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Why no love for Plaxico?

I have him ranked 4th because he is gets a ton of looks in the red zone. Tall target that can easily repeat his 12 td performance from last year.
Check out this awesome football sim http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=14217686
FantasyFootballRocks
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 pm

FantasyFootballRocks wrote:Why no love for Plaxico?

I have him ranked 4th because he is gets a ton of looks in the red zone. Tall target that can easily repeat his 12 td performance from last year.

4th is way too high for plexiglass. He is always hurt and there are a number of guys with more upside. I have him 15th.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Kensat30 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:49 pm

I think Plaxico Burress is one of the most underrated WRs in fantasy. And he has been for at least 2 seasons now.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby bungle613 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:00 am

Kensat30 wrote:I think Plaxico Burress is one of the most underrated WRs in fantasy. And he has been for at least 2 seasons now.

For me both Wayne and PLax are drafted exactly where they should be. I hate T.O. but he puts up numbers consistently better then Wayne. Therefore it is Moss, Owens and then Wayne. Wayne was #4 overall last year and #3 overall in 2006. Plax is the 11th Wr off the board and was 11th overall last year and 9th in 2006. HIs QB and the Giants offensive style limit him in FF terms.

I understand your point about investing a top pick in an elite WR and expecting to have the true elite Wr but really, there have been only a handfull in the 10 years I have been playing FF. Wayne without Marvin is one of them and to be blunt, Marvin is done imo.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Timbathia » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:44 am

bungle613 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I think Plaxico Burress is one of the most underrated WRs in fantasy. And he has been for at least 2 seasons now.

For me both Wayne and PLax are drafted exactly where they should be. I hate T.O. but he puts up numbers consistently better then Wayne. Therefore it is Moss, Owens and then Wayne. Wayne was #4 overall last year and #3 overall in 2006. Plax is the 11th Wr off the board and was 11th overall last year and 9th in 2006. HIs QB and the Giants offensive style limit him in FF terms.

I understand your point about investing a top pick in an elite WR and expecting to have the true elite Wr but really, there have been only a handfull in the 10 years I have been playing FF. Wayne without Marvin is one of them and to be blunt, Marvin is done imo.

Really? I never saw Plax go in the top 15 receivers last year in any of my drafts? The 2 poor years at the end of his time in Pittsburgh and the injuries IMO have left him underrated the past few years, as I havent seen anyone taking him in the top 15 while his numbers have been.
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk