Ranking the Top 20 WR's. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby bungle613 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:26 am

Timbathia wrote:
bungle613 wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:I think Plaxico Burress is one of the most underrated WRs in fantasy. And he has been for at least 2 seasons now.



For me both Wayne and PLax are drafted exactly where they should be. I hate T.O. but he puts up numbers consistently better then Wayne. Therefore it is Moss, Owens and then Wayne. Wayne was #4 overall last year and #3 overall in 2006. Plax is the 11th Wr off the board and was 11th overall last year and 9th in 2006. HIs QB and the Giants offensive style limit him in FF terms.

I understand your point about investing a top pick in an elite WR and expecting to have the true elite Wr but really, there have been only a handfull in the 10 years I have been playing FF. Wayne without Marvin is one of them and to be blunt, Marvin is done imo.


Really? I never saw Plax go in the top 15 receivers last year in any of my drafts? The 2 poor years at the end of his time in Pittsburgh and the injuries IMO have left him underrated the past few years, as I havent seen anyone taking him in the top 15 while his numbers have been.


Can't speak for last year. Don't know where i would find ADp for that but this year his ADP is 11th for WR's. Pretty much where I think he should go. I can;t see PLax going before ANY of these guys...

1.08 Randy Moss WR NE 7.8 1.9 1.02 2.01 278
1.12 Terrell Owens WR DAL 12.3 2.2 1.07 2.07 292
2.02 Reggie Wayne WR IND 13.6 2.1 1.08 2.09 336
2.05 Braylon Edwards WR CLE 16.6 2.6 1.11 3.01 313
2.07 Andre Johnson WR HOU 18.8 3.2 1.10 3.05 310
2.09 Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI 20.6 3.2 1.12 3.07 291
2.11 Marques Colston WR NO 22.7 3.7 1.12 3.11 323
2.12 Steve Smith WR CAR 24.3 3.6 2.02 3.10 309
3.01 T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR CIN 25.2 3.1 2.05 3.10 293
3.05 Chad Johnson WR CIN 28.7 3.3 2.08 4.03 292
3.06 Plaxico Burress WR NYG 30.4 3.6 2.08 4.11 282
Image
Image
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 10988
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 31 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: straight ahead, hang a left, look down

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby BALCOBOMBER » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:34 pm

Can't speak for last year. Don't know where i would find ADp for that but this year his ADP is 11th for WR's. Pretty much where I think he should go. I can;t see PLax going before ANY of these guys...

1.08 Randy Moss WR NE 7.8 1.9 1.02 2.01 278
1.12 Terrell Owens WR DAL 12.3 2.2 1.07 2.07 292
2.02 Reggie Wayne WR IND 13.6 2.1 1.08 2.09 336
2.05 Braylon Edwards WR CLE 16.6 2.6 1.11 3.01 313
2.07 Andre Johnson WR HOU 18.8 3.2 1.10 3.05 310
2.09 Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI 20.6 3.2 1.12 3.07 291
2.11 Marques Colston WR NO 22.7 3.7 1.12 3.11 323
2.12 Steve Smith WR CAR 24.3 3.6 2.02 3.10 309
3.01 T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR CIN 25.2 3.1 2.05 3.10 293
3.05 Chad Johnson WR CIN 28.7 3.3 2.08 4.03 292
3.06 Plaxico Burress WR NYG 30.4 3.6 2.08 4.11 282

I might even take Holt over Burress.
BALCOBOMBER
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 858
Joined: 8 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: SECRET LAB

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:57 pm

bungle613 wrote:
Can't speak for last year. Don't know where i would find ADp for that but this year his ADP is 11th for WR's. Pretty much where I think he should go. I can;t see PLax going before ANY of these guys...

1.08 Randy Moss WR NE 7.8 1.9 1.02 2.01 278
1.12 Terrell Owens WR DAL 12.3 2.2 1.07 2.07 292
2.02 Reggie Wayne WR IND 13.6 2.1 1.08 2.09 336
2.05 Braylon Edwards WR CLE 16.6 2.6 1.11 3.01 313
2.07 Andre Johnson WR HOU 18.8 3.2 1.10 3.05 310
2.09 Larry Fitzgerald WR ARI 20.6 3.2 1.12 3.07 291
2.11 Marques Colston WR NO 22.7 3.7 1.12 3.11 323
2.12 Steve Smith WR CAR 24.3 3.6 2.02 3.10 309
3.01 T.J. Houshmandzadeh WR CIN 25.2 3.1 2.05 3.10 293
3.05 Chad Johnson WR CIN 28.7 3.3 2.08 4.03 292
3.06 Plaxico Burress WR NYG 30.4 3.6 2.08 4.11 282

Personally I don't have CJ that high, with all the controversy and Housh really taking over the number 1 spot there, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too skeptical, but I'd definitely take Burress over CJ, just my .02.
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:05 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Personally I don't have CJ that high, with all the controversy and Housh really taking over the number 1 spot there, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too skeptical, but I'd definitely take Burress over CJ, just my .02.



I'm sorry but when did Housh take over that #1 spot? People give TJ alot of credit and much of it is deserved because he is a great Wr, but lets not forget that his job is alot easier because they have Chad who is THE #1 Wr for Cincy...He is the guy who faces the teams best corners week in and out, he stretches the defense, he faces double coverage, defenses gameplan to stop Chad first and foremost...Tj works underneath routes and the redzone really well, but lets see him go to a team where he is the only threat, and some of those things Chad faces TJ has to face, and see if his production stays the same...Housh isn't anything close to their #1 Wr even if he puts up numbers like a WR1 in fantasy, their situation is a little different then that of Detroit and Arizona where they have two interchangeable WR's who could be that guy, but TJ has been making a living off of working under Chad, you just can't ignore the presense of having Chad Johnson on the field does for everyone else around him...I think we should wait for TJ to see some double coverage or a teams #1 corner before we annoint him just yet.


I could see Burress higher though, not in a PPR, in standard scoring yes, because Burress has potential for 15 TD's if he plays every game and will more then likely rack up more TD's then Chad consistently, but not catches for sure and probably not yards either.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:25 pm

Burress' problem as a fantasy wide is the end of the season. Burress for the past 2 or 3 years has been getting minor ankle/leg injuries that he plays through. During the year he performs like a stud WR1, but in the final few games those injuries catch up to him and affect him. Go look at this game logs for the final 3 games in the past 2 or 3 seasons, you'll see it.
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5309
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Beantown, Taxachusetts

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:43 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Personally I don't have CJ that high, with all the controversy and Housh really taking over the number 1 spot there, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too skeptical, but I'd definitely take Burress over CJ, just my .02.



I'm sorry but when did Housh take over that #1 spot? People give TJ alot of credit and much of it is deserved because he is a great Wr, but lets not forget that his job is alot easier because they have Chad who is THE #1 Wr for Cincy...He is the guy who faces the teams best corners week in and out, he stretches the defense, he faces double coverage, defenses gameplan to stop Chad first and foremost...Tj works underneath routes and the redzone really well, but lets see him go to a team where he is the only threat, and some of those things Chad faces TJ has to face, and see if his production stays the same...Housh isn't anything close to their #1 Wr even if he puts up numbers like a WR1 in fantasy, their situation is a little different then that of Detroit and Arizona where they have two interchangeable WR's who could be that guy, but TJ has been making a living off of working under Chad, you just can't ignore the presense of having Chad Johnson on the field does for everyone else around him...I think we should wait for TJ to see some double coverage or a teams #1 corner before we annoint him just yet.


I could see Burress higher though, not in a PPR, in standard scoring yes, because Burress has potential for 15 TD's if he plays every game and will more then likely rack up more TD's then Chad consistently, but not catches for sure and probably not yards either.

guess I should have stated that better, when I said number 1 receiver I meant that from a fantasy standpoint most people expect TJ to put up more points...or atleast from the rankings that I've seen and my rankings as well.
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby Azrael » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:43 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Personally I don't have CJ that high, with all the controversy and Housh really taking over the number 1 spot there, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm just too skeptical, but I'd definitely take Burress over CJ, just my .02.



I'm sorry but when did Housh take over that #1 spot? People give TJ alot of credit and much of it is deserved because he is a great Wr, but lets not forget that his job is alot easier because they have Chad who is THE #1 Wr for Cincy...He is the guy who faces the teams best corners week in and out, he stretches the defense, he faces double coverage, defenses gameplan to stop Chad first and foremost...Tj works underneath routes and the redzone really well, but lets see him go to a team where he is the only threat, and some of those things Chad faces TJ has to face, and see if his production stays the same...Housh isn't anything close to their #1 Wr even if he puts up numbers like a WR1 in fantasy, their situation is a little different then that of Detroit and Arizona where they have two interchangeable WR's who could be that guy, but TJ has been making a living off of working under Chad, you just can't ignore the presense of having Chad Johnson on the field does for everyone else around him...I think we should wait for TJ to see some double coverage or a teams #1 corner before we annoint him just yet.


I could see Burress higher though, not in a PPR, in standard scoring yes, because Burress has potential for 15 TD's if he plays every game and will more then likely rack up more TD's then Chad consistently, but not catches for sure and probably not yards either.


Chad is the #1 WR but Housh is the #1 fantasy WR on that team. The fact that CJ is more dangerous and does all those things you mentioned is why teams double him and throw their #1 corner on him. Housh won't see the doubles like CJ will so we don't even have to worry about that. He'll catch more passes, rack up more yardage, and score more TDs. Housh is the #1 fantasy WR there. Draft Housh and thank Chad for eating up the coverage for him.
Image
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 8283
(Past Year: 7)
Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Keeping da cafe sucka free for 9 years straight

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:51 pm

Ahhh I see what you guys are saying, WR1 from a fantasy standpoint, which does make sense...But then again, Chad has put up over 1100+ yds 6 years in a row, and over 1300 4 out of the 6, the past 5 years he has had 90+ receptions, and he averages about 9 TD's over that span.


Compare that with TJ and its not even close...This past year TJ had a year that was on par with Chad's, he had an incredible year looking at receptions and TD's but Chad still amassed more then 200 yds more then him and 90 receptions himself which isn't too shabby, but look at TJ past this past season...The year before TJ had 90/1000+/9, that is probably considered a bad year for Chad as he has posted better totals then the 5-6 years straight, none the less thats a solid year by TJ...Then once you get past these past 2 years for TJ your looking at a guy who can give you 900 yds, 70+ receptions, and 7 TD's.


I don't get why TJ is all of a sudden the main WR in Cincy because of one nice year, Chad is about as consistent as it gets, and still consistently puts up better numbers then TJ, and thats with all the odds against him...I completely disagree with TJ getting more yards as that has never happened since he has been in Cincy no reason to think it will happen now, and Chad has been racking up more receptions and yardage for some time now, outside of last year their TD totals were very similiar...I really don't consider TJ the WR1 fantasy option for that team, infact I think this past season has inflated his value some.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby footballsimp » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:39 am

The thing with Chad is that he isnt consistant from week to week. He is either all or nothing. He will get 150 yds and 2 TD's one game then he just wont show up for the next one. His 8 TD's came in 4 games. That means he went 12 games without a TD. He was on point at the beginning of the year. In three weeks he had 25 catches for about 450 yards and 3 TD's. After that it was hit or miss with more misses than hits.

Housh is a solid 80 yards and .75 TD's a game every week. He had only 3 games where he had less than 3 catches....his 12 TD's came in 10 games.

This holdout and trade demand with Chad is scary. I want a sure thing in my WR 1 and Housh is it.
Image
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1290
Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ranking the Top 20 WR's.

Postby Polar Bear » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:39 am

In a PPR league Chad is consistently around 10 points and has the potential to go off for 3 TDs. Last year he carried me in the first two weeks of the season.

From a fantasy standpoint Chad's value hinges on the success of their slot receiver. Many people thought Chris Henry took away from CJs value when in fact he made Chad one of the best fantasy receivers in the league. Teams couldn't double cover him which allowed CJ to go down the field. I think the Bengals did a great thing in signing Utecht who I think can stretch the field as a receiver. If he can then watch out. Chad is going to be putting up monster numbers and Housh will drop some, but not much. I don't think you can go wrong with either receiver.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 13:33 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact