Why is fantasy football so addicting? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Why is fantasy football so addicting?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Why is fantasy football so addicting?

Postby RossPTF » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:11 pm

I have so many friends whose life during the football season revolves around their fantasy team's. As a newcomer into the fantasy world, I am just curious, what is it about fantasy football that makes it so addicting? Is it the money, or what?
RossPTF
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Why is fantasy football so addicting?

Postby UTHOOKEM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:39 pm

There's a lot of things that make ff (fantasy football) so addicting. If you are in a league that's made up of friends then it makes it even so much more addicting. I think it's human nature for GUYS to be competitive, especially when it comes to sports. Every guy thinks he knows more about football than the guy sitting next to him and it's ff that tests your knowledge of the game, and sometimes even humbles you, hahahaha. Yes, the money and trophy are a big factor as well but when it's all said and done, the Won/Loss record says it all.
What more can you want, it's football, money, good friends, competition, the laughs (like the guy who picks a kicker in round 9, HAHAHAHA), and etc. Good luck with your first year of ff, and remember, Barry Sanders is a sleeper this year, he's coming back to the Lions. ;-D
UTHOOKEM
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:33 pm

The challenge of trying to put together the best possible team through drafting, trades, and waiver wire pickups - and to do it better than everyone else in your league.

Also, if you're already a football addict, it gives you a personal stake in the games you watch, cheering on the players that are on your fantasy team(s).
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby RossPTF » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:48 pm

Thanks guys so much for your responses. The reason I asked is because I work for Pay The Fan and in so doing, it is the only fantasy play I have participated in. I use it because I don't really have the time to worry about my roster doing well or not, and it just seemed easier than putting a team together and following each of my players. I still want to try out fantasy leagues this season, I am just curious as to what you all think the differences are between sites like paythefan.com and Yahoo!Fantasy? Because so far my knowledge is very limited to the play I have engaged in with Pay The Fan.
RossPTF

Postby UTHOOKEM » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:40 pm

I've never played on PayTheFan, my league has always used Yahoo. For a beginner fantasy player, I think Yahoo would be best, it's very user friendly. The only thing with Yahoo is that in the FREE mode, you don't have Free Live Scoring, as where other sites such as ESPN, CBS, FOX, etc all have free scoring. If you do a search within this site, you'll find a post about what people think is the best site for fantasy football. We've been on yahoo for about 7 years now and we're pretty comfortable with it but I've heard good things about ESPN and FleaFlicker. CBS and NFL work on the same engine/server but I heard it sucks, as does Fox. I also heard fanball and rotowire are really good if you want to pay for it.
UTHOOKEM
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Sweathog » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:06 am

It could be that since CBS and NFL are the only formats I've tried

there could be better formats available, I just don't know.

I do know the first year I watched the live scoring more than the games.

The second year my browser settings were wrong at the start of the year.

It was very frustrating for a while. Since then I bring live scoring up

on the computor and watch the game on TV. Checking the live scoring

once or twice a quarter. The addiction is in the quest to acquire that

one obscure player just before he becomes Sam Gado for four weeks.

Last year it was Ryan grant and Derick Anderson. This year ???????????
Sweathog
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby rycher » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:44 pm

1) It is a form of gambling for many of us
2) It adds importance to every NFL game, so if Oakland is playing KC on Sunday Night Football, you'll enjoy watching as an excuse to leave the girlie watching Desperate Housewives and you'll watch to see how the players are doing in your fantasy football league.
rycher
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Notorious_Stud_Ranch » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:10 pm

rycher wrote:1) It is a form of gambling for many of us
2) It adds importance to every NFL game, so if Oakland is playing KC on Sunday Night Football, you'll enjoy watching as an excuse to leave the girlie watching Desperate Housewives and you'll watch to see how the players are doing in your fantasy football league.

True that. haha
Notorious_Stud_Ranch

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 am

RossPTF wrote:Thanks guys so much for your responses. The reason I asked is because I work for Pay The Fan and in so doing, it is the only fantasy play I have participated in. I use it because I don't really have the time to worry about my roster doing well or not, and it just seemed easier than putting a team together and following each of my players. I still want to try out fantasy leagues this season, I am just curious as to what you all think the differences are between sites like paythefan.com and Yahoo!Fantasy? Because so far my knowledge is very limited to the play I have engaged in with Pay The Fan.

There's the hook. The greatest part is doing the research, following your picks, and taking pride in your ability to manage your own team to victory over your buddies. I don't know much about Pay the Fan, but the way you describe it makes it sound like a butler who does everything for ur football team. I wouldn't want that. I want to be an owner!
Last edited by joejlitz on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby mozzy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:18 pm

Oh... and if you plan on joining my league, Manning retired, both of them :-b
mozzy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Next

Return to Beginner's Forum