Head Coach in your fantasy league? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Head Coach in your fantasy league?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Head Coach in your fantasy league?

Postby ArtVandelay004 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:51 pm

I am putting together a fantasy league on MFL and see that you can draft a Head Coach for your team,does any commish have this in their league now? It seems kinda interesting,but wondering what anyone else thought of putting a Head Coach on your team and getting points for a win or negative points for a loss.
ArtVandelay004
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Head Coach in your fantasy league?

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:59 pm

Personally, I love this option.

We've voted on it in our league, with just under half the owners in favor and just over half who don't like the idea.

The way were are going to implement it was as follows:

1. Teams could carry as many or as few NFL Head Coach's on their roster as they choose.
2. Head Coach's only, assistants are not eligible
3. Teams have option each week of whether to start a head coach in their lineup or not (position is optional in starting lineup)
4. Scoring:
- Head Coach's NFL team wins their game = fantasy team gets 10 points
- Head Coach's NFL team wins their game in OT = fantasy team gets 15 points
- Head Coach's NFL team loses their game = fantasy team loses 5 points
- Head Coach's NFL team ties their game = No Points awarded or lost
- Owner chooses not to start a head coach = No Points awarded or lost
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:44 pm

I don't like the idea at all :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:04 am

spodog wrote:Personally, I love this option.

We've voted on it in our league, with just under half the owners in favor and just over half who don't like the idea.

1. Teams could carry as many or as few NFL Head Coach's on their roster as they choose.
3. Teams have option each week of whether to start a head coach in their lineup or not (position is optional in starting lineup)
4. Scoring:

Why would you reward a team more for a OT win, then you would for a regulation win when a regulation win is the preferable performance?
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:39 pm

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
spodog wrote:Personally, I love this option.

4. Scoring:

Why would you reward a team more for a OT win, then you would for a regulation win when a regulation win is the preferable performance?

just for the novelty of it.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rycher » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:32 pm

I am one of the first guys to go for the odd category, but having Head Coaches make no sense to me.
rycher
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:45 pm

It was implemented it a serious 20 man IDP keeper league I'm involved in, seems like a bit much to me, i doubt it will impact scoring all that much, and the 1st time I lost due to a HC I'd probably be pretty pissed lol...Not like it takes much skill to draft a HC, your taking the top teams coaches, not much to it.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby spodog » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:26 pm

LS2throwed wrote:It was implemented it a serious 20 man IDP keeper league I'm involved in, seems like a bit much to me, i doubt it will impact scoring all that much, and the 1st time I lost due to a HC I'd probably be pretty pissed lol...Not like it takes much skill to draft a HC, your taking the top teams coaches, not much to it.

LS2throwed - you are correct that there is not much to deciding WHICH head coache's to draft. There are some elements of this that you have to put thought into, however.

You have to deteremine WHEN to draft a Head Coach relative to other positions, as well as the know scarcity of teams that will win double digit games relative to the size of your league.

More interesting, however, are the trade possibilities. With the Head Coach option, you can now offer a Bill Bellichick as a trade sweetener in a deal to get the WR you'd really like to have on your team, etc.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tpflanz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:10 pm

Personally, I do not like the idea at all. What are the other stat categories that are available to score for a head coach? Seriously, the head coach still only has a minimal factor on the outcome of a game anyway. Its not like they are out there passing, rushing and catching balls. Any situation that the head coach has affecting the game couldn't be scored anyway: bad/good challenge, misuse of timeouts, kneeling down instead of going for more points heading into half, or not kneeling down and turning over the ball, punting rather than going for a field goal, vice versa . Those are the actual ways the head coach directly affects each individual game. I should know, I've seen Herm Edwards screw up those areas many many times in only 2 seasons.
tpflanz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:08 pm

i dont understand all teh hostility(not trying to start a post fight, i just like teh word hostility). its just another position to fill with rewards for good and losses for bad. it still takes skill when to play him and not. and it adds another interesting flavor to teh game. i like it, but i must say i will never do it. i just cant see everybody gettiing on board w it, which is obvious from teh respones here.
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner