Attention Bengals Fans I got a question?? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Attention Bengals Fans I got a question??

Moderator: Football Moderators

Attention Bengals Fans I got a question??

Postby ssarmstro » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:05 am

Ok I know the Bengals have had a very poor defense for a while now. I would like an opinions but their DST this year. Here are my thoughts:

1. I think the additions of Pat Simms and Jason Shirley will help against the run. I actually believe Simms will bet out John Thorton. I am not a big Banjo man (Dahante Jones) fan at middle but I think Rivers will be a player and Blackstock can also support the run.
2. While I don't like the Banjo Man, if the D-line can keep the o-line off him he and rivers can run. Which is why I guess he lead the team in tackles.
3. The Cornerbacks are the strength of the team with Joesph and Hall. I am not sold at safety but we will see.
4. Zimmer is the new Defensive Coordinator. Since he was in Dallas he has been aggressive and knows how to scheme.

Your thoughts: And please don't just say they suck. I am considering them as a sleeper unit and I am looking for someone to TALK me out of it.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Attention Bengals Fans I got a question??

Postby footballsimp » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:13 am

I dont think you have to worry about drafting them. I would be shocked if anyone went near them on draft day. Dont waste a pick on them and pick them up off waivers.

If you think they can do well go for it but I dont think you need to waste anything but a last round draft pick on them...unless you're in a league full of bengal fans but even then i think you are safe.

Im not badmouthing them. I am just being honest. I ranked 14 Def on my list and Cincinati aint there.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby ssarmstro » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:24 am

[quote="footballsimp"]I dont think you have to worry about drafting them. I would be shocked if anyone went near them on draft day. Dont waste a pick on them and pick them up off waivers.

If you think they can do well go for it but I dont think you need to waste anything but a last round draft pick on them...unless you're in a league full of bengal fans but even then i think you are safe.

Im not badmouthing them. I am just being honest. I ranked 14 Def on my list and Cincinati aint there.[/quote]
Where do you rank them as a sleeper.. And I agree I don't even plan on drafting a DST. I will just pick one up before week one. I always do...I always make trades after the draft anyway.
ssarmstro
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 am

I'd say they're not a bad team to pick up if you're someone that plays matchups every week with your D/ST. They've got some decent players and I've noticed they usually perform pretty well as a fantasy defense relative to their actual performance. They seem to make a lot of big plays while at the same time giving up a ton of yardage and points, which is probably what will continue to happen with an aggressive defensive coordinator. If they could stop giving up so many points, they'd have some value.

Using them week one against Baltimore probably wouldn't be a terrible play, but I'm sure you can find a better matchup. Just wait until they have a matchup against a bad offensive team or they have a couple straight good weeks and pick them up then. They won't have any chance of getting picked up by another team until that happens.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby aaawall91 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:54 pm

Cincy D oh my my. They have been my sleeper D the past couple of seasons

When I think Cincy D I think this:
- Inconsitant, will not get you points week in and out
- potential for big games, remember that year they were #1 in turnovers (I think)?
- Overall I think we have improved all-around, would of liked to see us get the D lineman from Detroit who went to Cleveland, bit none the less.
- Rivers will be DROY
- Both Hall and JJ will be much improved last season and will down the line make them a pretty solid D between them and Rivers.
- That being said, I wouldn't draft them unless it is a VERY deep league in which the majority of the teams are grabbing two, and even then maybe not because chances are you can play the waivers the weeks you like them, and not tie down a roster spot to a second D.

I'm from Cincy, and I can agree with steelerfan here, often times what Cincy lets up on the field doesn't reflect fantasy points, but some weeks IT KILLS YOU.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Return to Football Talk