This little piggy went -- BAM! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

This little piggy went -- BAM!

Moderator: Football Moderators

This little piggy went -- BAM!

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Saw this article, thought it was interesting training. Pigs and humans have alot of anatomical similarities, after all. I work at a company that conducts testing on live animals, so we get PETA showing up on the doorstep occasionally, too.

link

Despite opposition by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, the Army is moving forward with its plan to shoot live pigs and treat their gunshot wounds in a medical trauma exercise Friday at Schofield Barracks for soldiers headed to Iraq.

Maj. Derrick Cheng, spokesman for the 25th Infantry Division, said the training is being conducted under a U.S. Department of Agriculture license and the careful supervision of veterinarians and a military Animal Care and Use Committee.

"It's to teach Army personnel how to manage critically injured patients within the first few hours of their injury," Cheng said.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: This little piggy went -- BAM!

Postby Guru13 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:16 pm

People for the Eating of Tasty Animals ;-D

but seriously, I hate PETA
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:38 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:People for the Eating of Tasty Animals ;-D

but seriously, I hate PETA

Absolutely agreed %-6 :-P
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Daddymike59 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:51 pm

PETA sucks the meata. They bitch about me going fishing. What else do they have to do? :-t

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Everytime I hear about PETA I think of a bumper sticker I once saw. http://www.cathedralwindchimes.com/I%20 ... nimals.jpg

Another good one http://maddox.xmission.com/bigpot6.jpg
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:01 am

I love animals and nature. It really sucks when I see an animal in pain or killed for no good reason. A friend of mine was bragging about throwing toads against a wall when he was a kid. I wasn't impressed. I realize how controversial animal experimentation can be. Dipping dogs in Fabreze (sp?) seems a bit much to me, but I certainly see the benefit of testing a product on an animal before we figure out it's harmful to humans. In this instance, I would support it. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

Oh, yeah, and PETA sucks. If they didn't cry foul at every little thing, relevant or not, they might be taken more seriously once in a while, because I think there definitely should be an organization like PETA out there. Unfortunately, when you throw your rational out the window you are not going to be taken seriously very often.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:00 pm

I pretty much agree with ORS.

PETA needs to pick their fights. This isn't one. :-t
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Tyeattolah » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:27 pm

sooooey! Being retired military I fully support just about anything we can do to give our troops and unintended civilian casualties as much hope as possible. ;-D

Besides...just ask the chicken...its the other white meat! :-D
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:50 pm

i'm against animal curelty (i'd like to see some of these dog-killers and what not get prosecuted just the same as killing a person, or at least more than the slap on the wrist they get) but if there's some good scientific benefit to testing, and the animals other option is Food Product, then i dont see a whole lot of other issues
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to General Talk