Tatum Bell - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tatum Bell

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Tatum Bell

Postby Timbathia » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:06 am

steelerfan04 wrote:What role does everyone think he will play this year in the Lions running game. I'm notthat high on Kevin Smith and think he will struggle out of the gate, in which case Bell would be next in line to get carries. The last time Bell ran behind a zone-blocking scheme in 2006 with the Broncos, he had 1025 yards with 4.4 ypc, and Detroit is switching to a zone-blocking scheme this year. If he gets the starting job, he could put up some nice numbers, but I know that's a big if. What are the chances he gets a majority of the carries this year?

The introduction of a zone-blocking scheme doesnt suddenly equate to great RB numbers for a running back. When Bell did that in Denver, the Broncos o-line were as good a unit as you can get for that style run-game (and he did it in conjunction with another back who was softening up defenses). It takes o-lineman years to perfect it, and even then it depends on having the right guys in there.

There isnt even a reason to draft Bell as your 5th back, as neither the team nor he is good enough to put up worthy numbers. IMO you are better off picking up someone in a situation like Jacob Hester (on the chance that LT gets hurt), as at least in that instance you have the potential of good numbers. I would much rather have the backup in a great situation for a late round RB, than a scrub in a scrub offense (no offense lions fans).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk