Rookie here...couple of questions. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

Rookie here...couple of questions.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rookie here...couple of questions.

Postby Killer_B » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:32 pm

Hi, I just started my first season of fantasy football. I drafted my players and came away with a pretty solid team I think. But I don't know all the rules and tips how to play it. So here they are:

- Can I change my lineup during the game (between periods maybe)?
- When should I use WW?
- How do you play playoffs? Do all the loosing team players fall to the free agent pool where you pick them up? I guess I have to remove all the players who didn't reach the playoffs.
- Is there any great tactic through the season I should be aware of?
- Does anyone plays fantasy football on nfl.com? If you do...what happens if you win your league. I saw some rewards but I don't know who gets them. Is there overall top score list from all nfl.com leagues?

Thank you guys for your help.
Killer_B
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rookie here...couple of questions.

Postby Sweathog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Killer_B wrote:Hi, I just started my first season of fantasy football. I drafted my players and came away with a pretty solid team I think. But I don't know all the rules and tips how to play it. So here they are:

Your lineup locks 5 minutes before gametime.

- When should I use WW?
Whenever it's open and they have a player you need

- How do you play playoffs? Do all the loosing team players fall to the free agent pool where you pick them up?
The losing teams players, remain on their teams and aren't available.

I guess I have to remove all the players who didn't reach the playoffs.
The NFL FF League will finish it's playoffs before the NFL playoffs start.

- Does anyone plays fantasy football on nfl.com?
I play on a NFL.com league. We will find out the rest when we win.

If you do...what happens if you win your league. I saw some rewards but I don't know who gets them. Is there overall top score list from all nfl.com leagues?

Sweathog
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:10 am

Killer_B wrote:- How do you play playoffs? Do all the loosing team players fall to the free agent pool where you pick them up? I guess I have to remove all the players who didn't reach the playoffs.

Fantasy playoffs are normally during week 15 & 16 of the regular NFL season - some leagues start in week 14, most leagues avoid playing their playoffs in week 17 because too many NFL teams that have wrapped up a playoff berth rest their stars that week, so the fantasy football season generally ends week 16.

As for tactics, best advice is stay up to date on the news and ya can't beat the Cafe for that - ya need to know who's injured; who's losing playing time and should be benched or dumped; who's looking hot and should be grabbed off the waiver wire asap; etc. Also, don't be afraid to come here and ask questions.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:41 pm

stomperrob wrote:
Killer_B wrote:- How do you play playoffs? Do all the loosing team players fall to the free agent pool where you pick them up? I guess I have to remove all the players who didn't reach the playoffs.

Fantasy playoffs are normally during week 15 & 16 of the regular NFL season - some leagues start in week 14, most leagues avoid playing their playoffs in week 17 because too many NFL teams that have wrapped up a playoff berth rest their stars that week, so the fantasy football season generally ends week 16.

As for tactics, best advice is stay up to date on the news and ya can't beat the Cafe for that - ya need to know who's injured; who's losing playing time and should be benched or dumped; who's looking hot and should be grabbed off the waiver wire asap; etc. Also, don't be afraid to come here and ask questions.

Bingo - couldn't have said it better myself ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:54 am

Killer_B wrote:Hi, I just started my first season of fantasy football. I drafted my players and came away with a pretty solid team I think. But I don't know all the rules and tips how to play it. So here they are:

- When should I use WW?
- How do you play playoffs? Do all the loosing team players fall to the free agent pool where you pick them up? I guess I have to remove all the players who didn't reach the playoffs.
- Does anyone plays fantasy football on nfl.com? If you do...what happens if you win your league. I saw some rewards but I don't know who gets them. Is there overall top score list from all nfl.com leagues?

Welcome to the Cafe! ;-D

- In most leagues Sweathog is correct. The lineups lock 5 minutes before gametime or right at gametime of the 1st game (s) of the week...and you can't change them at all. However, some leagues allow you to change your lineup up until the start of each game...as long as the players in question haven't started their games yet. In other words, you need to ask your commish what the rules are in your specific league.

- The WW should be looked at and used as much as possible throughout the season to try and improve your team. You go there when injuries happen or just when one of your guys isn't playing well. The WW can sometimes make or break your season. I look at the WW every week in all of my leagues.

- Stomper covered the fantasy playoffs question.

- Stomper covered the tactics question.

- Played on nfl.com a few years ago and at that time they didn't have any sort of prize or reward. There shouldn't be an overall top score for all leagues. All leagues aren't the same. Scoring systems are different, starting requirements are different, etc.

I hope that helps and good luck! ;-D

-

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Return to Beginner's Forum