Anyone prefer points league's over H2H? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Anyone prefer points league's over H2H?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Anyone prefer points league's over H2H?

Postby kingmike74 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:30 pm

For 3 years running I make it to the championship game and get screwed due to a star or two sitting in my H2H league.

I was thinking of trying a ROTO style league this year, can anyone comment on their experience in a ROTO style?
kingmike74
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Anyone prefer points league's over H2H?

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:36 pm

Roto is for baseball players ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Polar Bear » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:31 pm

I don't even like it that much in baseball.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:53 pm

Polar Bear wrote:I don't even like it that much in baseball.

Makes two of us ;-D
I'm not a fan of points in any fantasy sport.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:08 am

The only thing total points does is makes sure the best team wins. The whole competition aspect is completely taken away. Halfway through the year half your league doesn't give a crap because they have no chance to win.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby eaglesrule » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:10 am

I don't think points leagues are appropriate for football really. I mean scoring systems deviate in head to head leagues i.e. there isn't an unabashed "standard" like there is for roto baseball for example.

And yes, I think given the short season and how you can really get steals in a football draft, people would get bored, because some people could be out of it so fast.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chchelse » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:05 am

As a person who has seen too many of the best team in the league lose out in the playoffs and get nothing (money -wise) I went to a system where we divided the after-expenses money in half, one- half going to 1st, 2nd, 3rd place for the playoffs and one-half to 1st, 2nd and 3rd for highest point totals. This will keep a majority of the teams in your league active until late in the season. It also allows the distribution of money to more people, the result of which lowers the attrition rate in the league year-after-year. I think this is the fairest system I have come across and the most skilled players always end up winning the most money.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:53 am

kingmike74 wrote:For 3 years running I make it to the championship game and get screwed due to a star or two sitting in my H2H league.

I was thinking of trying a ROTO style league this year, can anyone comment on their experience in a ROTO style?

First let me say that I am a H2H guy. It most closely resembles the real game.
Are you playing your championship game on week 17? If so stop.
If you are not and you have lost becuase your stud sat week 16, the onus is still on you. There are elements of strategy needed for the end of a season, especially with championship implications. You should have been thinking in advance and handcuffed or traded for another quality replacement who has a soft game that week.
All things being equal, the better owners will manage to field competitive teams in last week.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:35 pm

Points leagues are a better determinant of who the best team is.
H2H leagues are more fun.

I'm not a professional FF player, so I prefer H2H leagues.

In baseball roto leagues, there's nothing worse than someone being so far ahead (whether it's you or someone else) that the season is basically over half way through and there's little point in anyone else playing anymore.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:39 pm

moochman wrote:Are you playing your championship game on week 17? If so stop.
If you are not and you have lost becuase your stud sat week 16, the onus is still on you. There are elements of strategy needed for the end of a season, especially with championship implications. You should have been thinking in advance and handcuffed or traded for another quality replacement who has a soft game that week.

There is much more to it than simple handcuffs and whatnot, great players can just have poor games. You can still be fielding the best team during championship week and lose. In a points league, LT is going to be a top 3 player for you over the course of the season. In a H2H league he is unlikely to finish in the top 3 during championship week, just because there is so much variation.

Someone fielding LT and AD (last year's two best PPG scorers I believe) during week 16 last year probably would have been outscored by the opposing team's RBs. Someone fielding Westbrook and AD (two of the top 3) would have likely been annhilated by the opposing team's RBs.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Football Talk