Effects of NFL Rule Changes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:20 am

There were two changes this year that should effect the stats for NFL teams.

1. One player on the defense can now wear a headset like the QB. This should aid defenses in figuring out what the opponent is trying to do.

2. The force out rule has been eliminated. This gives the cornerbacks a tool to stop those high passes to the corner of the endzone and any sideline throw. This will bring down the number of passing TD's, passing yds, and receiving yds because now unless a WR has two feet down in bounds it is not a catch. Corners can close quickly so I can see this costing each team valuable TD's and yardage that might stall drives and end of game comebacks.
Image
Image
Cowboys 4 life
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9515
(Past Year: 79)
Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby 011472 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks for the reminder. This pushes RBs back up in importance for me.
011472
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar
Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 1921
Joined: 26 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:35 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:There were two changes this year that should effect the stats for NFL teams.

1. One player on the defense can now wear a headset like the QB. This should aid defenses in figuring out what the opponent is trying to do.

2. The force out rule has been eliminated. This gives the cornerbacks a tool to stop those high passes to the corner of the endzone and any sideline throw. This will bring down the number of passing TD's, passing yds, and receiving yds because now unless a WR has two feet down in bounds it is not a catch. Corners can close quickly so I can see this costing each team valuable TD's and yardage that might stall drives and end of game comebacks.



Get your RBs early and keep picking them up. ;-D
Image
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3527
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby My team is injured » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:09 pm

I don't like the changes to the force-out rule, but I can't really see it making a big impact production-wise to the point where I would change my draft and fantasy strategy at all.

For one thing, there's a number of receivers including some of the top ones who very rarely run routes and/or leave their feet near the sidelines for this to even be a potential issue for them. Offhand, I can't say if I've ever seen Boldin involved in such a play, for example, though he likely has been. And for the ones who do run these routes and go for jump-balls more frequently, maybe they lose what, 2 catches for 30 yards the entire season. Maybe a TD as well, but you're stretching it IMO to extrapolate it to having any effect on draft strategy, with the possible exception of something like breaking a tie for players you currently rate with equal value.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 413
Joined: 13 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby fantasizing » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:There were two changes this year that should effect the stats for NFL teams.

1. One player on the defense can now wear a headset like the QB. This should aid defenses in figuring out what the opponent is trying to do.

.


How will that work? the defensive coordinator can talk to this defensive player as the offense is huddling? coming up at the line scrimmage? when the QB is calling the play ? or even during the play itself? what restrictions are there on this?

I think this is a huge rule change that could really help defenses immensely. Someone other than the players seeing something on offense and telling the defense to making a last second adjustment at the last moment. Am I right?
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1673
Joined: 30 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby aaawall91 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:14 pm

My team is injured wrote:I don't like the changes to the force-out rule, but I can't really see it making a big impact production-wise to the point where I would change my draft and fantasy strategy at all.

For one thing, there's a number of receivers including some of the top ones who very rarely run routes and/or leave their feet near the sidelines for this to even be a potential issue for them. Offhand, I can't say if I've ever seen Boldin involved in such a play, for example, though he likely has been. And for the ones who do run these routes and go for jump-balls more frequently, maybe they lose what, 2 catches for 30 yards the entire season. Maybe a TD as well, but you're stretching it IMO to extrapolate it to having any effect on draft strategy, with the possible exception of something like breaking a tie for players you currently rate with equal value.


I disagree, it raises the stock of RB's in general, as well as smaller WRs who are established. WRs like Chad and Fitz lose a bit of value because they are big receivers who are athletic and can jump, smaller less athletic corners won't be able to compete and on the sidelines will resort to forcing out...which corners still did even with the rule because it's instinct, just imagine how much more it will happen now that it's legal.

This benefits pretty much all TEs and RBs because they are more likely to get looks in the endzone over a tall WR on a fade route. It also benefits Slot WRs like Welker (if he continues in the slot) a bit.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9934
(Past Year: 62)
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Lansing

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:14 am

I wonder if the rule change will have Safties and CBs nailing WRs that dare to run sideline routes so hard that they stop running them. Could then clog the middle of the field. I do think the one result we will see is more injuries to WRs. I really think the leauge blew this call. I don't know about most of you, but I love to see a WR stretch out to make a leaping grab and drag his toes to stay inbounds. Why bother if you know the D can just push you out and it doesn't matter. And at what point will the ref have to determine that the CB didn't knock the WR out as much as hit and carried him out?
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:19 am

moochman wrote:I wonder if the rule change will have Safties and CBs nailing WRs that dare to run sideline routes so hard that they stop running them. Could then clog the middle of the field. I do think the one result we will see is more injuries to WRs. I really think the leauge blew this call. I don't know about most of you, but I love to see a WR stretch out to make a leaping grab and drag his toes to stay inbounds. Why bother if you know the D can just push you out and it doesn't matter. And at what point will the ref have to determine that the CB didn't knock the WR out as much as hit and carried him out?


College doesn't have the force-out rule, and you don't see WR ever get "carried" out of bounds... And really, I don't think this rule is going to cause a lot of injuries to WR, at least not for a few years. The sideline play is mostly an instinctual play. We saw a decent number of guys get forced out even when the force-out rule was in play. I don't think that there will be that many more force-outs because DBs know that it's legal....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 635
Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:26 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
moochman wrote:I wonder if the rule change will have Safties and CBs nailing WRs that dare to run sideline routes so hard that they stop running them. Could then clog the middle of the field. I do think the one result we will see is more injuries to WRs. I really think the leauge blew this call. I don't know about most of you, but I love to see a WR stretch out to make a leaping grab and drag his toes to stay inbounds. Why bother if you know the D can just push you out and it doesn't matter. And at what point will the ref have to determine that the CB didn't knock the WR out as much as hit and carried him out?


College doesn't have the force-out rule, and you don't see WR ever get "carried" out of bounds... And really, I don't think this rule is going to cause a lot of injuries to WR, at least not for a few years. The sideline play is mostly an instinctual play. We saw a decent number of guys get forced out even when the force-out rule was in play. I don't think that there will be that many more force-outs because DBs know that it's legal....


CBs and safties in the NFL have much better closing speed than college and WR only need get one foot down. Were I the CB and you leap for a pass 5 yards from the sideline I will try to nail you hard enough to push you out of bounds. Not an unlikely scenario. It happens enough and there will be a reductioin in that play being called. The additional speed and impact to force a WR out will lead to increased risk of injury. And were I a coach I would teach my secodary on ways to hit, lift and carry WRs out of bounds with my momentum. Not saying it will happen a lot, but how many times does it have to?
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Effects of NFL Rule Changes

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:33 am

moochman wrote:
buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:
moochman wrote:I wonder if the rule change will have Safties and CBs nailing WRs that dare to run sideline routes so hard that they stop running them. Could then clog the middle of the field. I do think the one result we will see is more injuries to WRs. I really think the leauge blew this call. I don't know about most of you, but I love to see a WR stretch out to make a leaping grab and drag his toes to stay inbounds. Why bother if you know the D can just push you out and it doesn't matter. And at what point will the ref have to determine that the CB didn't knock the WR out as much as hit and carried him out?


College doesn't have the force-out rule, and you don't see WR ever get "carried" out of bounds... And really, I don't think this rule is going to cause a lot of injuries to WR, at least not for a few years. The sideline play is mostly an instinctual play. We saw a decent number of guys get forced out even when the force-out rule was in play. I don't think that there will be that many more force-outs because DBs know that it's legal....


CBs and safties in the NFL have much better closing speed than college and WR only need get one foot down. Were I the CB and you leap for a pass 5 yards from the sideline I will try to nail you hard enough to push you out of bounds. Not an unlikely scenario. It happens enough and there will be a reductioin in that play being called. The additional speed and impact to force a WR out will lead to increased risk of injury. And were I a coach I would teach my secodary on ways to hit, lift and carry WRs out of bounds with my momentum. Not saying it will happen a lot, but how many times does it have to?


Good point on the closing speed. I think it will be very interesting to see how DBs adjust to this rule. I don't think that your "5 yards away" scenario is going to happen much; the DBs simply aren't going to be able to send the WRs flying a full 5 yards... It'll happen on plays that the old "force-out" rule used to happen on. And I don't think WR will be lifted and carried out of bounds. If they have good enough coverage to where they can carry the WR out, then they'll probably just use their instincts and go ahead and knock the ball away.... You could end up being right though; only time will tell I suppose...the injury part could be scary though. These WR will be taking hits to their back, where they have little protection....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 635
Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 8:32 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact