Strategy? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Strategy?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Strategy?

Postby FantasyFootballRocks » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:14 am

Since there is no consensus on which is the best strategy, such as the RB-RB or RB-WR, I am starting to think that a person's strategy makes no difference in a person's outcome in the league. If people didn't do well with a strategy you think that they would abandon it. To see so many advocates for one over the other makes me wonder why we even debate about because people have proof that any strategy can do well.

So my conclusion is that the only thing that matters on draft day is your rankings. If your rankings are dead on accurate there is no way you will have a bad team.
Check out this awesome football sim http://goallineblitz.com/game/signup.pl?ref=14217686
FantasyFootballRocks
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Strategy?

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:20 am

If you are talking value based rankings than you might field a good team. But you need to have some sort of strategy, and ethos if you would, to dictate how you draft. The debate over which type of strategy to use is important to see other people's views to meld into a more coherent draft day plan that will be maleable for you draft position and the flow of the draft.
I have used the traditional RB, RB draft, a WR, WR draft, and won a title with a QB first last year. My point is that I had gleaned enough from others experience and ideas on draft strategy that I melded it to fit my current draft.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:24 am

FantasyFootballRocks wrote:Since there is no consensus on which is the best strategy, such as the RB-RB or RB-WR, I am starting to think that a person's strategy makes no difference in a person's outcome in the league. If people didn't do well with a strategy you think that they would abandon it. To see so many advocates for one over the other makes me wonder why we even debate about because people have proof that any strategy can do well.

So my conclusion is that the only thing that matters on draft day is your rankings. If your rankings are dead on accurate there is no way you will have a bad team.

Any draft-day strategy can win a league. I don't think many people here are debating that. What people are debating is odds... For instance, going K/DEF first two rounds probably lowers your odds of winning :-) Also, I don't think many people here go with one set strategy (I know I don't). My only "strategy" is my rankings; now depending on my "strategy" I may have some WR a couple spots higher or lower than some other people, but I don't think that many people here say "I'm drafting RB/RB/RB even if Owens is on the board in Round 3", or "I'm going RB/WR, no matter what". Draft day requires flexibility.... ;-D
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-eAsy510 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:33 am

Draft strategy is not just knowing if your going to pick RB-RB etc... It's picking up players with the most chance of exceeding thier draft positions i.e. Randy Moss or ADP last year. Besides that there are many factors that usually determine where you finish at years end. You may draft a dream team but by week 6 have Tavaris Jackson starting instead of Peyton Manning. Personally I do mock drafts and try to get a good idea of who is being drafted around where my pick is than research those players , rank them and show up to the draft and have a cold one.
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:44 am

I agree with the above posts. Every draft is different. Sometimes a particular guy is available to you in rd 2 and sometimes he is taken 6 picks before. You can never tell what is going to happen and have to be able to change strategies on the fly.

Every Fantasy football team will have weaknesses unless they happen to draft a bunch of guys who perform above expectations. You might have an advantage over your opponent in QB and RB but he has you on WR, TE, K, and Defense. You have to take the best player available when it is your turn even if it means deviating from your original strategy. That is what makes Fantasy football so fun. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Return to Football Talk