Jason Taylor to the Redskins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jason Taylor to the Redskins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jason Taylor to the Redskins

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:34 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3497625

After losing defensive end Phillip Daniels for the season, the Washington Redskins moved quickly to fill the void.

Taylor Made For Consistency

The Redskins will be getting a pass rusher who always puts up numbers. Jason Taylor has had more than 11 sacks in each of the last three seasons. Here's the list of players that were active in 2007 who have the most seasons with at least 10 sacks.

Player 10+ sack seasons Status
Simeon Rice 8 Free agent
Jason Taylor 6 Traded
Michael Strahan 6 Retired

The Redskins acquired Jason Taylor from the Miami Dolphins.

The Dolphins will receive a second-round pick in 2009 and a sixth-rounder in 2010.

According to ESPN.com's John Clayton, Taylor told the Redskins he did not need to renegotiate and was willing to play for the final two years of his contract. He is scheduled to make $8.1 million this season. With around $9 million of cap room, the Redskins were able to work the trade quickly.

The Dolphins had been waiting for an opportunity to trade Taylor, who asked to be moved to a playoff contender at the beginning of the offseason. Before the draft, the Dolphins were asking for a first-round draft choice. They lowered the demand later to a second-rounder.

Taylor didn't win over Miami executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells by missing all of the team's offseason work while competing in ABC's "Dancing With The Stars."

"We're fortunate there was a guy that caliber on the market when somebody got hurt," Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said. "Normally, in most years, there's not a guy of that caliber on the market."

The 33-year-old Taylor has played 11 NFL seasons and he's started every game each of the past eight years.

He had 11 sacks during the 2007 season, giving him 117 over his career.

"His play speaks for itself. I think it's easy to talk about Jason Taylor. He's got statistics and everything else to back up everything that he's done," Cerrato said.

Taylor has said he planned to play only one more season.

But Cerrato said: "I'm 100 percent positive he'll play longer than one year."

Daniels, a starter, was hurt on the initial play of 7-on-7 offense vs. defense drills on Sunday. He stayed down on the turf for several minutes before being taken away on a cart, a towel draped over his head. He's expected to have surgery Friday.

"Not a good way to start, at all," middle linebacker London Fletcher said. "It's a big blow to our defense. Phil was a tremendous leader, excellent at playing the run, and was going to be our third-down attack guy. With him going down, it's like we're replacing two guys."

ESPN.com's John Clayton first reported Daniels' season-ending injury and the fact that the Redskins were pursuing Taylor.

Washington executive vice president Vinny Cerrato said Taylor is expected to report to Redskins training camp on Monday.

The Redskins also lost another defensive end, reserve Alex Buzbee, to a season-ending injury during their afternoon practice. Buzbee ruptured his Achilles tendon.

"With Phillip gone, and now Buzbee gone, there's a hole there," head coach Jim Zorn said. "And Phillip has created a big hole."

Day 1 of Zorn's training camp debut as an NFL head coach also included this sight: Cornerback Fred Smoot threw off his left shoe and clearly was in pain after wideout Santana Moss landed on him during the afternoon practice. It turned out Smoot sprained his ankle and is expected to only miss a week or less.

"I love sprained ankles now, because we know that's just a few days' deal," Zorn said, cracking a smile.

He was more serious while speaking about the loss of Daniels, who has played 12 seasons in the NFL with Washington, Chicago and Seattle. His 59 career sacks rank 17th among active players.

"The hard part is he was so ready, and he did everything that he could possibly do to not just have a great training camp but an excellent football season," Zorn said. "And now he's got a new challenge before him, and of course we have a new challenge before us."

The Redskins began training camp with Erasmus James sidelined. He's a former first-round pick who has had serious knee injuries, and Zorn said he doesn't expect James to be able to begin practicing until next month.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jason Taylor to the Redskins

Postby Wenchtamer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:06 pm

Just saw this on the NFL.com main page. Bump Washington up a few spots in your D/ST rankings.

NFC wildcard will be interesting this year. Dallas, New York, and Washington are all strong bets to return to the playoffs, then we have whoever doesnt take the North between Green Bay/Minnesota, and Tampa Bay/New Orleans in the South. Two of em are getting left out.
Last edited by Wenchtamer on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Postby VaderFin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Bitter sweet but it's time to move on.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby VaderFin » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:19 pm

Oh, and nice move by Parcells and the front office in not pulling the trade trigger earlier just to get rid of him. Sucks that the Skins lost 2 DEs for the season in the first practice of the year but it worked out well for the Fins.
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Guess this means he can still be a dancer part time now! ;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:27 pm

Good move for the Redskins, Taylor will help them make a playoff run. Didn't one of their defensive linemen tear his ACL in the past couple days? Taylor will be able to do that guy's work and then some.

And no one is safe in the NFC East. Any of those teams could come up on top and any of them could not make the playoffs.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 pm

Fortunate twist of fate for the Skins. The brutality of this league is such that in your first day your season could be impacted so severly, but they had a bail out becuase the Tuna don't dance.
GL to Daniels, hope this doesn't end his career.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:58 pm

So the skins gave up a 2nd round pick for a player in his mid 30's? Hmmm... as a Cowboys fan I like this move. If they were a pass rusher away from a Super Bowl win I could see it, but Taylor will be retired and the Skins still won't win the Super Bowl and they'll have wasted a 2nd round pick in the process. When will Danny boy learn?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheRawDAWG » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:05 pm

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story;jse ... nfirm=true

Did Brian Baldinger just say he becomes the best pass rusher in that division? Someone needs to introduce him the Ware and Umenyora (sp?). This is JT of even 2 years ago. He comes to a division with 2 of the top 3-5 Pass rusher in the league (throw Greg Ellis in there with his 12.5 sacks last year) and he's going to say JT comes out on top? Not a chance. Not anymore.
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:03 pm

bagobonez wrote:So the skins gave up a 2nd round pick for a player in his mid 30's? Hmmm... as a Cowboys fan I like this move. If they were a pass rusher away from a Super Bowl win I could see it, but Taylor will be retired and the Skins still won't win the Super Bowl and they'll have wasted a 2nd round pick in the process. When will Danny boy learn?

I actually like this alot more now that I know the terms. Originally I thought the Skins were improved by adding JT but with the 2 loses on DE they just break about even even lose a bit. The Deadskins are back to their old selves giving away all their draft picks away while overpaying in the FA market.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Football Talk