Shockey to the Saints - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shockey to the Saints

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Shockey to the Saints

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:29 pm

petedog9 wrote:Shockey's value may go up a bit. I have Brees in the 5- 7 range with Palmer , Ben and Anderson. Those guys just below Brady , Manning, Romo. Does Brees go to 4 and seperated at all from his teir?

Brady
Manning
Romo

Palmer
Brees
Ben
Anderson

I have Brees at #4 now. Most people will disagree with me on this, but I have Romo/Brees/Palmer as my 2nd tier of QBs....

Also, I"m interested to hear what people think this does to Boss... Does he move into the LJ Smith/Crumpler/Watson/Donald Lee group of TE....?
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:34 pm

mikus wrote:
stomperrob wrote:...and where does Kevin Boss sit in the rankings now???

He has to move up a little bit, maybe a nice late sleeper at tight end if you have the roster depth. Otherwise, I would not consider him a top-12 prospect at this point.

Not sure about this. Purely from watching him play in the playoffs last year, would not at all be surprised to see him in the Top 12 by the end of the year. The guy looks like he will be a beast on YAC yards, and Eli is still at a point in his development where a dump off option when he gets nervous in the pocket will be a great option for him. Seems pretty durable as well, good build for a TE
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:36 pm

Risky move for the Saints. Shockey is surely talented, but can he stay healthy enough to pay off. Having another solid option to keep Ds honest should help Colston and the Saints pass game get off to a much better start.

Really gonna have to watch to see how Boss is targeted this exhibition season.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:43 pm

I'll most likely be drafting brees again this year...
J.C.Fighter
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby onnestabe » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Shockey's going to be the #1 TE (maybe #2 behind Gates). Remember what Brees turned Gates into in SD? And what Payton turned Shockey into his rookie year? Brees loves the TE (ask Eric Johnson and Billy Miller :-? ). If you can get Brees and Shockey on your team you might as well not bother setting your lineup past those two because that's all you will need. [/intense sarcasm]

:-b :-D

But seriously. I don't know that it moves Shockey's value around all that much. I agree that the hype will move up his ADP(I don't have a prayer of getting him in my regular league full of guys from Louisiana). He's still a guy coming off a major injury that has to get acclimated to a new team. I think Brees' value should go up a bit - maybe not enough to move him in the rankings, though. Shockey's a good blocker, though, so it should help out the running game quite a bit. I guess what I'm saying is that it should increase overall offensive production, but the effect on any one player is indeterminate at this point. Wait and see what happens in the preseason games.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:06 pm

I think Shockey is still behind Witten, Gates & Winslow but right in the same area as Tony G, Cooley, and Dallas Clar.

Boss moves up slightly but not to much.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:14 pm

I wouldn't touch Boss unless you start 2 TE or it's an extremely deep league. Not to knock Boss, I think he will be a fine real life player but just will not be used consistently enough as a receiver to be a reliable fantasy option.

The worst things to ever happen to Shockey were Fassel and Payton leaving the Giants. Over the last four years Shockey has played in 15, 15, 15, 14 games. I feel like the injury-prone label with Shockey has been really overblown. It's no secret that Shockey thrives stretching the field and despite some maddening drops he will no doubt have, he will be the #1 fantasy TE next year IMHO if Payton uses him as he did in NY.

I guess a 2 and a 5 are pretty fair value and its probably a good long term move for the Giants. I will not second guess Reese at this point. However, this is extremely tough to stomach right now. Enjoy Saints fans. I know a lot of people could not understand the allure Shockey had for Giants fans. You're about to find out first hand. :,-(
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby SLAMLLC » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:43 pm

I am not big on moving Shokey up to anywhere on the draft board. He will be a consisant TE this year but I say maybe 5-6 best. I would have to move Brees up a notch though. I even consider him in my top 4 QB maybe even top 3. NO should score a ton this year.
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby BigBadBrawler » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Brees was the #4 QB before this trade, and Shockey doesn't move him past the Brady/Peyton/Romo trio, so he should probably stay right where he's at. Shockey's value has to go up from where it's dropped to recently with all the controversy surrounding him and the Giants, but he's certainly not in that top tier of TEs. I'd have him about on par with Cooley right now. On an offense that passes as much as NO does, and with a WR corps as bad as NO, Shockey steps in and basically becomes the WR2 on the team, so there's definately upside there. But he does play hard and get banged up quite a bit, and there's always the potential for him becoming unhappy for one reason or another, so there's some risk there as well. I actually think this hurts Colston's value a bit as well, because now there's another quality big body to take away looks and TDs. Seems like a good deal NFL-wise for both NYG and NO though, because NO needed another receiving threat and NY got solid value for a disgruntled player... ;-D
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:47 pm

mikus wrote:Hell yes. I have been hoping and praying for this deal since the rumors began. Now the Saints have a pass-catching tight end, watch out.

They already have one named Colston. :-D At least he was a TE a few years ago.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk