Shockey to the Saints - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Shockey to the Saints

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Shockey to the Saints

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:54 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:Brees was the #4 QB before this trade, and Shockey doesn't move him past the Brady/Peyton/Romo trio, so he should probably stay right where he's at. Shockey's value has to go up from where it's dropped to recently with all the controversy surrounding him and the Giants, but he's certainly not in that top tier of TEs. I'd have him about on par with Cooley right now. On an offense that passes as much as NO does, and with a WR corps as bad as NO, Shockey steps in and basically becomes the WR2 on the team, so there's definately upside there. But he does play hard and get banged up quite a bit, and there's always the potential for him becoming unhappy for one reason or another, so there's some risk there as well. I actually think this hurts Colston's value a bit as well, because now there's another quality big body to take away looks and TDs. Seems like a good deal NFL-wise for both NYG and NO though, because NO needed another receiving threat and NY got solid value for a disgruntled player... ;-D

I agree. IF it moves him up it is only a few spots. No way he ends up being number 1.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby ivesaidway2much » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:11 pm

I wonder if Amani Toomer is now going to be a viable fantasy starter?
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 pm

I don't think this will inflate Shockey's value. I think that people will be leery of his health and what going to a new team will do to him. I think Jeremy will be top 5-7 and be a bargain. I definitely think Brees has his best year ever this year 4,000 and 30 scores.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Amazinz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:54 pm

ivesaidway2much wrote:I wonder if Amani Toomer is now going to be a viable fantasy starter?

I can't really see Toomer's involvement in the offense rising dramatically at this point in his career. He's been a steady cog in the offense during Coughlin's tenure and I don't think the use of Shockey has ever really cut into Toomer's looks. If anything, you could argue that Shockey was underused by the Coughlin offenses. If there is a beneficiary, I'd be inclined to think that it is Smith (or in a less likely scenario, Moss or Manningham).
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:33 pm

Amazinz wrote:
ivesaidway2much wrote:I wonder if Amani Toomer is now going to be a viable fantasy starter?

I can't really see Toomer's involvement in the offense rising dramatically at this point in his career. He's been a steady cog in the offense during Coughlin's tenure and I don't think the use of Shockey has ever really cut into Toomer's looks. If anything, you could argue that Shockey was underused by the Coughlin offenses. If there is a beneficiary, I'd be inclined to think that it is Smith (or in a less likely scenario, Moss or Manningham).

I actually used Toomer as a spot starter last year in a couple leagues. I felt that he was Manning's safety blanket, which translated into a decent number of looks from week to week. I remember that Smith came on some late last year, and I'm sure the idea is that Manningham will eventually step up to the starting lineup, but I plan to keep an open mind about Toomer. Those older WRs tend to hang on longer than most people think they can.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:44 am

Apparently, the Vilma trade can net the Jets a 2nd rounder based on performance. I had thought it was only a 3rd rounder. Anyway, if that happens, the Giants get New Orleans 1st round pick per the NY Daily News.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Stelly » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:26 am

Colston's name has been thrown around a little in here, but let's open it up more.

Does Shockey going to NO help or hurt Colston? Does having a viable second option in the passing game on the team now help roll coverage more, or does it take away targets, especially in the red zone? Or do both happen, and it's a wash anyways!?!
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:49 am

I look for Steve Smith to gain the most value from this move, he started getting alot more targets as soon as Shockey went down, him and Eli have a good chemistry and even with Toomer Smith should see a huge increase, I'm expecting around 600 and 5 from him this year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:51 am

Stelly wrote:Colston's name has been thrown around a little in here, but let's open it up more.

Does Shockey going to NO help or hurt Colston? Does having a viable second option in the passing game on the team now help roll coverage more, or does it take away targets, especially in the red zone? Or do both happen, and it's a wash anyways!?!

I think it will only help Coltson personally. Without a solid, consistent threat across the field from him, a healthy Shockey's presence in the middle of the field will shift coverages away from him more often and give him some great opportunities. Brees does love to throw to a talented TE (as anyone would!) but I see Colston's overall value as a bit higher in general because of this move ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:08 am

I think this hurts Colston's value but not substantially. He is going to lose some end zone TDs and with his receptions likely decreasing from the ~100 he had last year, I can't see him posting the necessary yardage to offset that loss.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk