Commish changed scoring settings mid-draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Commish changed scoring settings mid-draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

Commish changed scoring settings mid-draft

Postby kethnaab » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:39 am

It was reasonably innocent, I believe. About 16 minutes into the draft, he says something like "return yards count, be careful with your WRs and DBs"

now I keep the settings window open on one monitor the moment the draft begins and I keep the actual draft window open on the other monitor, and there was NOTHING about the scoring that indicated kick and punt return yards mattered

but now, 16 minutes into the draft, sure enough, it says "commish makes adjustment to scoring rules" - I refreshed the score settings screen and it says "1 point per 10 return yards"

Of course, he drafted Wes Welker and Josh Cribbs as his 2 starting WRs and Devin Hester as his DB. This is especially troublesome because we start 3 IDP players and 4 flex IDP.

I drafted all LBs for my flexes (Got a great lineup too), but Terrence McGhee is going to outscore them since he returns kicks. I had Adrian Wilson, but Ellis Hobbs is going to smoke him because he returns kicks.

What is the proper fix for this? I don't think it would make much of a difference if the return yards were reduced to 1:20 and it was WR/RB only, non-IDP, because only a few WRs who score TDs as WRs return a lot of kicks, but any DB that returns kicks automatically jumps to the front of the line in front of all IDPs.

What do you think is the appropriate way to deal with this?

a) Remove all kick and punt return yardage from all players
b) Remove kick/punt return yardage from IDPs
c) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:50 yards
d) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:20 yards
e) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:50, offensive players only, no IDP players get points for returns
f) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:20, offensive players only, no IDP players get points for returns
g) Leave it as is - there is nothing wrong with the commish changing settings in the middle of the draft
kethnaab
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Commish changed scoring settings mid-draft

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:15 am

kethnaab wrote:It was reasonably innocent, I believe. About 16 minutes into the draft, he says something like "return yards count, be careful with your WRs and DBs"

now I keep the settings window open on one monitor the moment the draft begins and I keep the actual draft window open on the other monitor, and there was NOTHING about the scoring that indicated kick and punt return yards mattered

but now, 16 minutes into the draft, sure enough, it says "commish makes adjustment to scoring rules" - I refreshed the score settings screen and it says "1 point per 10 return yards"

Of course, he drafted Wes Welker and Josh Cribbs as his 2 starting WRs and Devin Hester as his DB. This is especially troublesome because we start 3 IDP players and 4 flex IDP.

I drafted all LBs for my flexes (Got a great lineup too), but Terrence McGhee is going to outscore them since he returns kicks. I had Adrian Wilson, but Ellis Hobbs is going to smoke him because he returns kicks.

What is the proper fix for this? I don't think it would make much of a difference if the return yards were reduced to 1:20 and it was WR/RB only, non-IDP, because only a few WRs who score TDs as WRs return a lot of kicks, but any DB that returns kicks automatically jumps to the front of the line in front of all IDPs.

What do you think is the appropriate way to deal with this?

a) Remove all kick and punt return yardage from all players
b) Remove kick/punt return yardage from IDPs
c) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:50 yards
d) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:20 yards
e) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:50, offensive players only, no IDP players get points for returns
f) Change kick/punt return yardage to point:20, offensive players only, no IDP players get points for returns
g) Leave it as is - there is nothing wrong with the commish changing settings in the middle of the draft

The settings that were in place at the beginning of the draft should be the settings...period. If he wanted to count return yards that should have been addressed pre-draft, and the fact that he just changed it 16 minutes in gives me great pause as to whether or not I'd wanna play in a league he runs.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby hermitkendle » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:53 am

I honestly would send a email to all those in the leauge and state your issues with the change.. Also if you dont get the response you want you can always drop the leauge, and get into one without these issues
hermitkendle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joejlitz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:21 am

Return yards should be removed from all scoring. The more people you recruit for this position, the stronger your case with the commish.

As was stated earlier, I would be very watchful over this commissioner as he approves/vetoes trades and handles other matters throughout the year.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby SLAMLLC » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:58 am

Absolute BS. There are no changes to the rules after the draft starts. Period. The fact that he even is looking at the rules editing pages durring the draft gives me a bad feeling. I have no tollorance for this type of BS. Call him on it. If the rules are not returned to how they were when the draft started I wouldn't want to be a part of that league. Even if they were returned I would have a problem not being able to trust that a fair and impartial person is overseeing all actions. How someone could even think that changing rules mid draft would be ok is rediculous.
SLAMLLC Beginner
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dupree » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:10 pm

SLAMLLC wrote:Absolute BS. There are no changes to the rules after the draft starts. Period. The fact that he even is looking at the rules editing pages durring the draft gives me a bad feeling. I have no tollorance for this type of BS. Call him on it. If the rules are not returned to how they were when the draft started I wouldn't want to be a part of that league. Even if they were returned I would have a problem not being able to trust that a fair and impartial person is overseeing all actions. How someone could even think that changing rules mid draft would be ok is rediculous.

Seconded...that is pretty unethical and for me it wouldn't even be a question of whether or not he rescinds the rule change, I would leave the league straight away...If he is coniving/ignorant enough to pull something like this in "broad daylight" who knows what shenanigans he will pull when "no one is looking".
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:32 pm

hermitkendle wrote:I honestly would send a email to all those in the leauge and state your issues with the change.. Also if you dont get the response you want you can always drop the leauge, and get into one without these issues

2nd that. Commish is either wildly disorganized or prone to cheating. You won't have a good experience either way.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:48 pm

spodog wrote:
hermitkendle wrote:I honestly would send a email to all those in the leauge and state your issues with the change.. Also if you dont get the response you want you can always drop the leauge, and get into one without these issues

2nd that. Commish is either wildly disorganized or prone to cheating. You won't have a good experience either way.

Consider this 3rd'ed ;-) !+)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:22 am

WaCougMBS wrote:
spodog wrote:

Consider this 3rd'ed ;-) !+)

4thed. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby tpflanz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:34 am

If this was "in the rules" but not correct on the league setting then it should be allowed.

You said 16 minutes into the draft the change was updated. I'm betting that none of those guys were drafted in the first few rounds of the draft anyway, so he didn't draft anyone in question before the announcement was made.
tpflanz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner