Broncos cut RB M.Bell - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Broncos cut RB M.Bell

Moderator: Football Moderators

Broncos cut RB M.Bell

Postby LT Blue Colt » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:30 am

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Might have to keep my eye on Selvin Young now. Might be a good guy to have on the bench. Possible sleeper. But, I am an optimist. And a Lions fan. :-b :-D
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Broncos cut RB M.Bell

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:06 am

When the Broncos cut Travis Henry a month ago, people started upgrading Selvin Young. Young looks to be the 1RB going into training camp with Michael Pittman and the rookie Ryan Torrain as his backups. Although you never know what Shannahan is going to do?? :-o
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:23 am

Selvin Young is a great pickup in all formats if you grab Torrian way later to handcuff...Maybe Andre Hall sees action because its Denver and we never truly know how Shanny will play it, but Torrian is pretty skilled, one injury could be all it takes before that backfield turns back into a mess like it does every year.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:42 pm

Torain doesn't wow me from a talent standpoint at all.

Selvin Young could easily turn out to be nothing more than a scatback. Same goes for Andre Hall. And the Denver o-line is nowhere near where it used to be. I think Denver RB is still a very risky situation to invest in and the return is not all that great anymore. Chances are I won't end up with anyone there on my redraft rosters unless Selvin falls really far or something unexpected happens in training camp to give one of them a clear edge.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:16 pm

i've finally decided it is impossible to draft the Denver RB that will end up being good each year, you have to pick them up off waivers.

P.S. Dont forget about Michael Pittman
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pangbones » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:34 pm

I learned my lesson on drafting Denver RB's a LONG time ago. You will be teased, and you will be disappointed. I think Young is a decent pick, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Pittman as the most productive back in Denver this year. Not gonna waste any of my picks on any of them this year, unless of course the price is right!! ;-D
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:22 am

pangbones wrote:I learned my lesson on drafting Denver RB's a LONG time ago. You will be teased, and you will be disappointed. I think Young is a decent pick, but I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see Pittman as the most productive back in Denver this year. Not gonna waste any of my picks on any of them this year, unless of course the price is right!! ;-D

And there's the rub. As it starts to look more and more that Selvin is going to be the man, he starts looking like more of a bargain. The next thing you know BAM!!! You've been Shanny'd.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby biju » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 am

Given the sentiment here on Denver RBs, I'm now curious what the depth chart has looked like each year and what the final stats looked like. I think this is the last few after Portis left*:

2004: Quentin Griffin, Tatum Bell (Reuben Droughns: 1240 yds, 6 TDs)
2005: Mike Anderson, Tatum Bell (Mike Anderson: 1024 yds, 12 TDs; Tatum Bell: 921 yds, 8 TDs)
2006: Tatum Bell, Mike Bell (Tatum Bell: 1025, 2 TDs; Mike Bell: 677 yds, 8 TDs)
2007: Travis Henry, Selvin Young (Selvin Young: 729, 1 TD; Travis Henry: 691 yds, 4 TDs)

* - note: this is only rushing yards. I'm a little drunk and too lazy to add up the receiving yardage.

Does this look right (from a depth chart perspective)? 8-o

It's a small sample size, but the top pick from Denver's RBs has only finished the top RB on the team half the time, and only once been "the guy" from a fantasy points perspective (Anderson, 2005). Even then Tatum Bell nearly put up the same numbers. Once the favored RB wasn't even one of the top 2 coming out of preseason (Droughns, 2004).

The point is, maybe the better play is to sit on the Denver RBs and take the #2 or #3 guy with a low investment pick. Torain seems to fit the bill here. I wish we had ADPs from these drafts, but I suspect the #2 from Denver has been clearly the winner if you were to map ADP to production.

I actually have some snapshots of ADP from Antsports for the last two years:

August 19, 2006:
- Tatum Bell: 26th RB taken (high: 4.11; low: 6.05)
- Mike Bell: 37th RB taken (high: 5.05(!); low: 9.03)
- Ron Dayne: 40th RB taken (high: 8.05; low: 9.10)
August 22, 2007:
- Travis Henry: 11th RB taken (high: 1.06; low: 2.04)
- Selvin Young: Didn't register on the top 60 RBs according to this

Add to this that Reuben Droughns wasn't drafted in 2004 except in the deepest of leagues. The only data I have on 2005 drafting was from a league I was in that was 14 teams with 2 flex spots and 2 keepers where Mike Anderson was kept and Tatum Bell was drafted with the 60th overall pick (so roughly the 88th pick of that draft).

Interesting, or useless? :-S
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SirPimpin08 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:59 am

Ill take any RB that avg. 5 YPC
SirPimpin08
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff