Auction/Small League - strategy - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Auction/Small League - strategy

Moderator: Football Moderators

Auction/Small League - strategy

Postby shawngee03 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:12 am

im entering an 8 man auction dynasty league this year. ive done baseball auctions for the past two years and have used the startegy of not getting studs, but filling my roster w good guys. which seems to work good considering teh roster size in baseball, and the fact that it was a 20 team and 16 team league

but now with football, and especially being its only an 8 man league, should i be going after nothing but studs, with the assumption teh FAs available throughout the season will fill in my holes after the draft(as im likely filling my roster w $1 players after i spend it all on studs)

i dont like going balls to the wall early, but im thinking this may be the way to go

1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, flex, no PPR.....and IDPs, but i havent even thought of those yet
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Auction/Small League - strategy

Postby treat24 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:03 am

In an 8 man league it's mostly luck anyway. Every team is stacked in an 8 team league unless they royally screw up the draft... Go after as many studs as you can get.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby 011472 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:32 am

How much money do you have to play with and how many players make your roster? You won't be the only one chasing the studs and might have to pay a high price. You may be better served by letting the other guys throw big cash at LT, Moss, etc and waiting a bit. You won't end up with the best RB1 or WR1 in the league, but maybe you can put your self in position to be middle of the road there but look great at RB2, WR2 and flex. That may be the type of depth you need in an 8 team league.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:11 pm

I'm entering an 8 man auction league as well...no IDP but no bench either, whole roster starts. One thing you'll notice as you go looking for cheat sheets is that most are made for 10-12 man leagues. I haven't seen any FF mags or sites that give you auction cheat sheets for 8 man leagues. What this means is that the players are overvalued for your league most likely unless you have a strange salary cap. Most leagues use $100 to $200 caps.

Say for instance, your 8 man league has caps of $200 for teams. This is $1,600 total dollars to be spent among # of teams x # players on a roster compared to a cheat sheet set up for a 12 man league with the same cap, $2,400 total cap money. So when you see the standard $72 or so $$ for LT or AP that's too high. They are only worth about 2/3 of that in your league, likewise with the suggested value of every other player. So if you start with a made up cheat sheet, the multiplier for you is going to be the total $$ in your league/total $$ available for the league the sheet is geared for. It is advisable to start with a sheet that is geared for a league with similar rosters and scoring as your league at least. The IDPs might throw a wrench into things for you.

Once you have the $$ adjusted down, the next thing is to tweak your sheet as to how you have things shaking out. For example, if you Steve Smith (Car) is ranked as WR 10 and you think he's WR 5 then adjust his $$ value as such.

I think it is a good idea to see how high the first few players go for. If you see the first few guys going way over what you have as their value then you know people are way over spending. Pretty soon guys won't be able to compete with you for certain players, which will A. Cause you to get players cheaper and B. as a result keep you in a financial advantage. They overpaid for their guys. Now you are underpaying for yours so you continue to have more leverage than them with your cap.

I also think it is a good idea to nominate players that you don't want but you think others do and let them spend on them.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Return to Football Talk