Chrysler Sebring - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Chrysler Sebring

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chrysler Sebring

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 pm

I am fixin' (yes I live in TX) to buy a Sebring. good price on a 2006 with low miles. Better fuel milage that the big arse truck I just totaled in a wreck. Anybody had one? If sdo what you think?

Got a 70 mile round trip each day for work looking for something with better milage but not a whimp car (I got to drive it everywhere). This is a converible and have always wanted one. EPA ratings says 26 hyway milage. Seen a couple things on the net that say its closer to 29. much better than the 16 and deisel I was getting.

23K milage and it came from a rental agency. They have pretty strict standards when it comes to maintenance. Used to work for the agency I am buying it from.

One other plus is I'm getting the car for about what the totaled out value of my truck was (truck was paid off). The only extra I will have to pay for is the extended warranty if I purchase it. About a grand to extend it out to 70k miles.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chrysler Sebring

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:06 pm

I know nothing about them but Ive always thought the Sebring was a good looking car. Yeah get the extended warranty for sure. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:17 pm

No.

I realize you may be geeked for the Sebring, but don't buy a Chrysler. I worked in the industry closely with DCX, and no Dodge/Chrysler is worth owning. Don't do anything with them other than a low mileage lease.

Trust me.

Any money you may save on the up front purchase price is due to the low resell value of them. And you'll be spending $1k+ in repair bills soon enough every six months. For the AC compressor. For the water pump. etc. don't buy it.

Pony up the extra money to get a reliable car; it'll save you money in the end.

edit: and the fact that it was a rental is even worse.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby treat24 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:36 pm

scottaa1 wrote:No.

I realize you may be geeked for the Sebring, but don't buy a Chrysler. I worked in the industry closely with DCX, and no Dodge/Chrysler is worth owning. Don't do anything with them other than a low mileage lease.

Trust me.

Any money you may save on the up front purchase price is due to the low resell value of them. And you'll be spending $1k+ in repair bills soon enough every six months. For the AC compressor. For the water pump. etc. don't buy it.

Pony up the extra money to get a reliable car; it'll save you money in the end.

edit: and the fact that it was a rental is even worse.

interesting, my wife and her mother both own sebrings and combined they've had oh... ZERO repairs in the last decade on them besides oil changes... so I guess they lucked out. My wife gets closer to 28-30 MPG on it.

although, i have a cirrus that I got for free as a work car... it has had problems galore... I've never had to make any repairs at a repair shop... they are issues I can live with or fix myself...

my wife's sebring... model of a quality car so far. bought it in January 2004 and have never, not even once, had a repair on it.

I think this is true of most car types though. You will have your success stories and your lemons. I just know two sebrings that have been perfect cars. Our cars go through MN winters, which is ridiculously bad on automobiles... and they have been great.

about the rental car aspect, every car until this last one for me has been a rental car. It's all I ever buy (except out current two good cars). I've never had a problem with a rental car purchase.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Madison » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:29 pm

Never owned one, but I second Met's suggestion on the extended warranty. Get a bumper-to-bumper that way you don't have to worry about anything. ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:38 am

Sebring + the warranty is still less $$ than a Camry/Accord and...

... waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler. ;-) Go for it, dude.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby knapplc » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:49 am

Scott I think your advice is well intended, but I'm another example of how that's not necessarily the case. I bought a used Stratus a few years ago that had been a rental. It had 30k miles when we bought it. We got the extended warranty like we should, but the bottom line is, 60k miles later, it's still running fine. There are glitches, like the power locks don't work so well and the A/C only works when the fan is on high (anyone know what that problem could be? :-S ) but overall it's been a good car. I even let the oil go 4-6 weeks past due several times before changing it, and it's still running just fine. In fact, the drive is pretty smooth with that cab-forward design and wide wheel base.

I'd prefer to have a Camry, which was the car I had before this one, but as cheap as it was this car was a good deal, and maintenance has been really light.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:32 am

knapplc wrote: the A/C only works when the fan is on high (anyone know what that problem could be? :-S )

I fought with that as well. After spending $1000 to get the A/C fixed in my Ram they didn't hook stuff back up correctly and it had constant problems with the A/C shutting down when accelerating, it wouldn't switch between floor/dash/windshild vents, etc. Every time I took it back to the '4-star' quality dodge shop to have them fix their work it just came back with more and more problems since they had to tear the dash apart each time. In the end, the cup holder wouldn't slide in/out any more, the gear indicator on the dash didn't line up with what gear I was actually in, and the wiring going to the stereo cooked itself. Other chronic problems included the headlights would only work when the steering wheel was fully raised into a bus-type position (which had to be fixed 3 separate times), the bearings on the front axle would go out every 30k or so miles, the oxygen sensors chronically malfunctioned so it would periodically run like it had a bunch of water in the fuel tank and stall out when driving, the alternator/battery shorted out the cables connecting them on several occasions... I could go on and on. And every repair was $500-$1000+ each time. In the end, when gas hit $3+/gallon and it broke down twice in one week, I decided that having a car that was paid for was costing me more than buying a new car. I had a Daytona when I was younger that was similarly bad.

I also feel the same way about Pontiac and Ford (owned both, so speaking from some experience). I guess I've just had very bad luck with big-3 automobiles, and good luck with foreign makes.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:34 am

i drive a dodge stratus!!!!
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:40 am

knapplc wrote: There are glitches, like the power locks don't work so well and the A/C only works when the fan is on high (anyone know what that problem could be?

Blower Fan Resistor needs to be replaced. Part will cost you between $25 and $45 and the labor will set you back at least $150 if it is where they put them on a Pontiac Grand Prix. Google the fix(replace blower fan resistor dodge stratus) and see if you can do it yourself.
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Next

Return to General Talk