Tie Break Rules Review - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Tie Break Rules Review

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tie Break Rules Review

Postby dupree » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Hi Folks,
Got a question for the Vets out there about everyone's favorite topic...tie breakers...this is my 3rd season playing and 3rd season as a commissioner of a league of accquaintences. Last season, as a 3 way tie for the last two playoff spots was breathing down my neck I hastily researched and put in place, what I thought, was a fairly clear and comprehensive tie break rule. needless to say this shortsightedness at the beginning of the season blew up in my face and we are lucky to have all the involved parties back this season...

Anyway this year I vow to avoid any chance of a similar situation by the following set of rules. And given that I am a newbie I would love your feedback on the rules approach itself along with any comments on situations that are not covered..(full disclosure I have lifted a lot of wording from various sites).

=========================================================================================
If two teams have the same score in a playoff or regular season game, the winner will be determined by the first of the following rules which is not also a tie:

1. Total # of TD scored by Starters
2. Total Starting Kicker Points
3. Total Starting Def/ST Points
4. Total Starting TE Points
5. Total Starting QB Points
6. Home Team / Highest Playoff seed.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Most points in all games.
4. Most points Against in all games (toughness of schedule).
5. Coin Flip.

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)

1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games among the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Most points in all games.
4. Most points against in all games (toughness of schedule).
5. Random Drawing of a name from the hat.

TO BREAK A TIE FOR A WILD CARD SPOT
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs, the following steps will be taken.
1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head.
2. Most points in all games.
3. Most Points against in all games (toughness of schedule)
4. Coin Flip

Three or More Clubs
(Note: If two clubs remain tied after third or other clubs are eliminated, tie breaker reverts to step 1 of applicable two-club format.)
1. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has won 100% of games against each of the others or if one club has lost 100% of games against each of the others.)
2. Most points in all games.
3. Most points against in all games (toughness of schedule)
4. Random Drawing of a name from the hat.

When the first Wild-Card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second Wild-Card.

TIE BREAK FOR AT LARGE PLAYOFF SPOT
Should it be neccassary to break a tie between 2 or more teams for the at large playoff spot the following rules will be used:

Two Clubs
1. Most points against in all games (toughness of schedule)
2. H2H winning percentage if applicable
3. Overall Winning %
4. Coin Flip

Three or more clubs
1. Most points against in all games (toughness of schedule)
2. Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has won 100% of games against each of the others or if one club has lost 100% of games against each of the others.)
3. Overall Winning %
4. Random Drawing of a name from the hat.

OTHER TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
1. Only one club advances to the playoffs in any tie-breaking step.
Remaining tied clubs revert to the first step of the applicable division or Wild-Card tie breakers. As an example, if two clubs remain tied in any tie-breaker step after all other clubs have been eliminated, the procedure reverts to step one of the two-club format to determine the winner. When one club wins the tie breaker, all other clubs revert to step 1 of the applicable two-club or three-club format.

2. To determine home-field priority among division titlists, apply Wild-Card tie breakers.

3. To determine home-field priority for Wild-Card qualifiers, apply division tie breakers (if teams are from the same division) or Wild-Card tie breakers (if teams are from different divisions).

4. Tiebreakers for playoff seeding follow the steps under TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tie Break Rules Review

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:59 am

That is incredibly well thought out and researched, but I just put it simply

For division titles or wild card
Head to head record
If head to head is a tie, or more then two teams are involved then season points total wins.
If thats a tie then final week total wins

The odds that two teams finish with the same total points and records are minute.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dupree » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:That is incredibly well thought out and researched, but I just put it simply

For division titles or wild card
Head to head record
If head to head is a tie, or more then two teams are involved then season points total wins.
If thats a tie then final week total wins

The odds that two teams finish with the same total points and records are minute.

;-D Thanks for the feedback!

Yes after last season I leave nothing to chance. I agree, that with decimal scoring I doubt anything will get past both the total points for much less total points against tie breakers so the rest of it is all for show (I hope) and to eliminate any vagary or interpretation down the road should we "hit the lottery" so to speak.

And the big issue, that people didn't get (or didn't want to admit to) was regarding multi-team tie breaks starting over at step 1 after each "winner" was determined. Hence the repeating of this fact throughout the ruleset.

One playoff season of ditching and moaning :~( was enough... :-t
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tpflanz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:53 am

This is what I use to break a tie in the playoffs. It makes owners consider their roster composition as well. I use decimal scoring to the hundredth, so there has never been a tie in a playoff game.

Ties in playoff games will be broken by:
1. Total points of remaining roster
2. Total offensive yards of active roster
3. Total offensive yards of remaining roster
tpflanz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner