Grossman vs Orton - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Grossman vs Orton

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Grossman vs Orton

Postby biju » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:27 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Actually I thought Frye did win that coinflip, thats why he ended up being the starter in the season opener, although I don't really remember that far back.

Correct. And after that *terrible* season opening game (where he was benched before half) he was traded to Seattle for a 6th round pick, put as 3rd on our depth chart and quickly turned into our scout team's QB. I'm not so sure that coin flip worked out for him.

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bungle613 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:16 pm

stomperrob wrote:...I thought after posting the article that this prob only has fantasy signifigance in 16 team leagues that start 2 QB's!
;-) :-b

These two are one of the funniest rankings I have seen this year. Footballguys have Grossman 38 and Orton 46 for a dynasty. The only QB situation worse off apparently is KC with Croyle at 43 and Huard at 52.

Anyone know what the bears time of possesion was last year? total or average.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:42 pm

benb18a wrote:
stomperrob wrote:...I thought after posting the article that this prob only has fantasy signifigance in 16 team leagues that start 2 QB's!

x2. There should be no reason to carry either of these guys, especially since Lovie likes to capriciously switch between the guys. It's one of those for better for worse relationships. They can't be any better with Orton, and couldn't be any worse with Grossman. Orton is overrated because, like Roethlisberger his first couple years, he played on a great team and had little to do with his starting record.

Since there isn't much for me to defend about Sexy Rexy and The Bearded One, I'm going to nitpick your choice of word here. Lovie changing QBs over a season hasn't ever been done capriciously. Either the starter got injured (Krenzel, Grossman, Griese) or played their way out of the starting job (Quinn, Krenzel, Hutchinson, Grossman).
:-b

PS: To any other Bears fans reading this thread, I apologize for listing part of the long list of embarrassing QBs the Bears have started. At least I stuck only to the Lovie era. :,-(
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:29 pm

beanoX3 wrote:
benb18a wrote:

x2. There should be no reason to carry either of these guys, especially since Lovie likes to capriciously switch between the guys. It's one of those for better for worse relationships. They can't be any better with Orton, and couldn't be any worse with Grossman. Orton is overrated because, like Roethlisberger his first couple years, he played on a great team and had little to do with his starting record.

Since there isn't much for me to defend about Sexy Rexy and The Bearded One, I'm going to nitpick your choice of word here. Lovie changing QBs over a season hasn't ever been done capriciously. Either the starter got injured (Krenzel, Grossman, Griese) or played their way out of the starting job (Quinn, Krenzel, Hutchinson, Grossman).

PS: To any other Bears fans reading this thread, I apologize for listing part of the long list of embarrassing QBs the Bears have started. At least I stuck only to the Lovie era. :,-(

Ah, for those halcyon days of yore, when the one-eyed wonder led the Monsters of the Midway...

:-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Timbathia » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 am

I am still wondering why the moderators havent removed this thread from the site. The Bears QB situation has absolutely no relevance to a fantasy football website.

At least the Chiefs have a WR and TE that will be drafted, so discussions about their QB situation have some validity in the cafe.

With the KJ signing, I honestly believe that the Bears do not have a single offensive player that should be drafted in 10 or 12 team leagues (unless they have absurdly deep benches, and even then it is probably a waste of time).
Timbathia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 am

Timbathia wrote:I am still wondering why the moderators havent removed this thread from the site. The Bears QB situation has absolutely no relevance to a fantasy football website.

Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dobie76 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:11 am

Coming from a Bears Fan, I cannot believe I spent time reading all these posts . . .
dobie76
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:15 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Timbathia wrote:I am still wondering why the moderators havent removed this thread from the site. The Bears QB situation has absolutely no relevance to a fantasy football website.

x2

that was hilarious :-b
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:58 pm

BEARS EXHIBITION OPENER 7 P.M. THURS., WFLD-Ch. 32
Kyle Orton gets starting nod for Chicago Bears' first preseason game
Smith says Grossman will start next week
By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter
11:11 PM CDT, August 5, 2008

BOURBONNAIS - The secret was given away at the start of practice when the Bears rehearsed their pre-game introduction with Kyle Orton dashing out with the first team.

Introducing your starting quarterback, at least for this week.

Coach Lovie Smith announced Orton as the starter for Thursday night's exhibition against the Chiefs at Soldier Field, with Rex Grossman also playing in the first half. The two will flip-flop roles next week at Seattle, with Grossman getting the starting nod.

"Don't look into any of these decisions that we've made right now," Smith said. "It's a starting spot, and there's no rhyme or reason as to why we're going this direction. It's just the way I want to go right now."

Smith plans to play the first team the entire first half so both quarterbacks get plenty of opportunities.

con't...

rest of article: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... 1377.story
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:08 pm

Former Bears blast passing game, Grossman
Associated PressPublished: 8/11/2008 4:44 PM | Updated: 8/11/2008 4:45

A pair of former Bears have blasted the team's passing game and quarterback Rex Grossman, but that didn't worry the team's coaching staff or players on Monday.

Former Bears wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad's assessment of the Bears? He told Sports Illustrated "It's where receivers go to die." And former Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson told CBS Sportsline.com that Grossman was "brittle" and "soft."

Grossman, who is battling Kyle Orton for the Bears' starting quarterback spot, had little to say about it. "I don't pay attention to any of that," he said.

Asked why his former teammates would say these things, Grossman added, "I'm not sure. I think they've got their own reasons why they need to talk about things. I just do my job and be quiet."

Muhammad, 35, returned to play for the Carolina Panthers after being cut by the Bears following one of his least productive seasons. Johnson joined the Dallas Cowboys for the second half of last season after serving an eight-game NFL suspension for violating probation on a gun charge.

Bears offensive coordinator Ron Turner noted the insult.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=226986&src=148
stomperrob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk