U.S. Army says Caleb Campbell can't play for Lions till 2010 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

U.S. Army says Caleb Campbell can't play for Lions till 2010

Moderator: Football Moderators

U.S. Army says Caleb Campbell can't play for Lions till 2010

Postby spodog » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:35 pm

Army orders Lions draft pick Campbell to withdraw

Caleb Campbell will not get a chance to play for the Detroit Lions because of a change in military policy.

Campbell was a seventh-round draft pick for the Lions in April. At the time, Army policy would have allowed the West Point graduate to serve as a recruiter if he made the team.

more . . http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aoxe9QX339xiq18Wkcwz5sodsLYF?slug=ap-lions-campbellarmy&prov=ap&type=lgns

This is really too bad. What a moral booster it would have been for the forces serving in Iraq and Afgh. if this kid could have actually made the Lions' squad this year.

Unfortunately, all too typical bungling on the part of the Army. Couldn't they have made this decision in March ?
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: U.S. Army says Caleb Campbell can't play for Lions till 2010

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:58 pm

Apparently the other Armed Forces complained about it because it gave the Army a recruiting edge in the future
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:32 pm

There were taxpayers complaining too. These cadets make a commitment and receive a free education. That education costs us somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:42 pm

Amazinz wrote:There were taxpayers complaining too. These cadets make a commitment and receive a free education. That education costs us somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K.

and he was still able to fulfill that commitment as a recruiter. He was still going to give his time and fulfill a duty for the army, he just wasn't going to go fight in Iraq or Afgahn
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:47 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:There were taxpayers complaining too. These cadets make a commitment and receive a free education. That education costs us somewhere in the neighborhood of $300K.

and he was still able to fulfill that commitment as a recruiter. He was still going to give his time and fulfill a duty for the army, he just wasn't going to go fight in Iraq or Afgahn

It doesn't cost the U.S. taxpayer $300K to train a recruiter. It cost a U.S. taxpayer $300K to prepare an officer in this manner and he could not fulfill that playing football. This isn't really about Campbell. He just happens to be the bud that was nipped. Bottom line is if he wanted to pursue football, he should have.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ROYALWITCHEESE » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:23 pm

It's the right decision. He shouldn't be above fulfilling the commitment he made to his country, just because he plays football.

"Even if I had no legs, I would STILL get open" -Chad Ochocinco
ROYALWITCHEESE
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 pm

I don't know, if this is the same kid ESPN spotlighted during the draft than I think there were a lot of good reasons for him to go to the NFL, which does mean he is "above serving his country" because I'm sure it's not the case.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:14 am

Why didn't they come to the decision that he shouldn't or couldn't play in the NFL before the draft, because I'm sure they had a chance to rule on it then...Seems like a little bad timing, although its not even close when you look at whats really important, I'm just wondering why this ruling couldn't of been handed down months ago well before the draft process.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:15 am

I think that in this particular case, the Army should've let Caleb play football, because he would serve a greater purpose by boosting the morale of the troops than he would by actually being there himself. Big problem with this is that if the Army did this, they would have to evaluate this type of situation on a case-by-case basis. I'm really not against the Army's decision, nor am I in favor of it.... I think it took the Army a while to actually make this decision, as it was a rather important decision...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:04 am

LS2throwed wrote:Why didn't they come to the decision that he shouldn't or couldn't play in the NFL before the draft, because I'm sure they had a chance to rule on it then...Seems like a little bad timing, although its not even close when you look at whats really important, I'm just wondering why this ruling couldn't of been handed down months ago well before the draft process.

The Army had plenty of time to think this through, yet proved short-sighted. Caleb should have never of been offered the possibility. Than if he wanted to try football he need not have ever enrolled.

“It’s unfortunate, but it doesn’t mean Caleb Campbell’s dream is dead. It just means it will be delayed,” Army spokeswoman Lt. Col. Anne Edgecomb told The Associated Press. “We want to take care of soldiers and dashing their hopes is not what we intend. But it is what it is.”

Spokesperson should never speak on what they do not know. His dream is dead. Quickly, name me any 7th round pick who returned to play in the league? If they don't want to dash dreams than they shouldn't dangle that carrot.

Navy Secretary Donald C. Winter ruled last month that Mitch Harris must serve a five-year active duty commitment. Harris, a 22-year-old pitcher with a 95-mph fastball, was selected by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 13th round in this year’s draft.

Harris acknowledged being surprised by the ruling because Campbell was being allowed to pursue football while completing his military service as a recruiter and in the reserves.

“Army has redefined the Alternative Service Option to include playing professional sports,” Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk has said. “Our coaches are now operating under a significant handicap when recruiting head-to-head with Army. It may not be reflected on the playing field today, but I can guarantee you that it will result in a competitive disadvantage down the road.”

And the real reason for it-ye ole Army/Navy rivalry. The Navy felt it gave the Army an edge in recruiting so they destroyed this poor young man's dreams. Okay a bit dramatic. :-D Wonder if Navy Secretary Winter hadn't have whined if this would have happened?

And there is no truth to the rumor that Caleb asked to serve his term once he found out what being a Lion was.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk