Devin Hester a holdout - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Devin Hester a holdout

Moderator: Football Moderators

Devin Hester a holdout

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:41 pm

Not gonna help him if he misses too much time practicing at WR...

Bears' Hester on camp: 'I'm not coming'
By Vaughn McClure | Tribune reporter
12:15 AM CDT, July 24, 2008

The most electrifying return man in the league has found a different way to display his elusiveness.

Devin Hester told the Tribune on Wednesday he intends to hold out of training camp until the Bears grant him a new deal.

"I'm not coming," he said by phone. "I have to make a statement. I showed by going to [organized team activities] that I was a team player. But then, I just felt they weren't taking it seriously that I wanted to get a new deal.

"I can't go out and play this year making $445,000. Come on, man."

Hester is entering the third year of the four-year deal he signed as a rookie second-round draft choice.

The Bears have discussed the possibility of a raise with his agent, Eugene Parker, and each side has exchanged proposals. Complicating matters is the Bears' inability to measure Hester's worth against any other player's contract.

con't...

rest of article: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com ... 3042.story
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Devin Hester a holdout

Postby eagles21 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:45 pm

"You should pay me like I'm one of a kind," Hester said. "It's like dating a girl. When you find somebody who is real special, you're going to do whatever it takes to keep her. You might cut back on what you're giving your mom to give to her. And that's how I feel they should treat me."

I feel bad for all of the moms of the Bear's management. :-b
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mikus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:46 pm

Stomper: Fellow X-Files fan here! Going tonight at midnight!!!

As bad as this may hurt his chances at receiver, I still think he would have a shot even with a moderate hold out. Let's face it: The Bears' receiving corps is not scaring anyone on paper. He will get his chances to play offense, b/c he is the biggest scoring threat on the roster.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:58 pm

Hester's threat of holdout doesn't have much teeth IMO. Most important part bolded.

From Rotoworld
Bears KR Hester threatens to sit out season

Hester
Devin Hester says he feels his holdout "can go down to whenever in the season or the end of the season. No matter what."
This one's easy to see through; Hester is paying $15,000+ in daily fines and would lose a credited year by holding out past August 5, postponing his ability to hit unrestricted free agency in 2010. Hester's agent would be doing his client a huge disservice by letting him skip more than two weeks of work. Jul. 24 - 12:22 am et
Source: Chicago Sun Times

So he sits out two weeks and opens the possibility that he doesn't secure a starting wideout spot. Not exactly a great way to point out your desire to be paid as a top wideout if you're not starting. In any case, Hester's sudden hard stance is coming as a surprise. The Bears have been talking numbers with his camp for a while now. It's not like they've reached an impasse and not communicating. Kinda seems like Hester is acting childish and jealous because other Bears players have gotten extensions and new contracts before him.

Hester is a great player to watch and a huge asset to the Bears, but I think someone has over-inflated his head about his realistic worth as a WR. His play at WR last year was comical at times and would have looked a lot worse if it wasn't for Moose. Now, Moose is gone and Hester has yet to prove he can cut it at WR. But he wants his money NOW!
:-?
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:40 pm

Normally I hate when players are holding out for more money. But seriously, give this dude his money. He deserves it. He's the only actual threat da Bears have on their team. :-° :-°
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Postby mariners100 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:03 am

From rotoworld.com After holding out just two days, Devin Hester has reported to Bears training camp.

Looks like the holdout is over!
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby treat24 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:22 am

I think he ended it because the bears assured him a deal was imminent. He wants to start, they want him signed... everyone wants the same things here... I'm guessing they took him seriously and approached him, so he ended the holdout... I don't think he was worried about the money or the job after two days.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:46 pm

treat24 wrote:I think he ended it because the bears assured him a deal was imminent. He wants to start, they want him signed... everyone wants the same things here... I'm guessing they took him seriously and approached him, so he ended the holdout... I don't think he was worried about the money or the job after two days.

I'm not so sure that's why he finally reported. I actually think that someone sensible talked some sense into his head. His holdout was unnecessary. If anything, he should have not reported the first day, then made a public announcement that he wanted to make a statement about how the talks were going, then reported. Not make public statements about holding out the whole season and making insinuations (i.e. repeating something that sounded like Deion Sanders wrote for him) that the Bears should take money they're earmarking for other players to pay him.

Hester misjudged the public response to his holdout, and during the time he held out there were plenty of fans who wanted management to let Hester sit the whole season. Local sports radio even suggested that the Bears look into trading Hester. Basically, the way he went about this was pretty ill-advised and I found it telling that his agent (Parker) never made any public statements about the situation. When Hester finally agrees to a new contract, I bet it won't be very far from what the Bears have already put on the table: highest paid special teams player with incentives for receiving numbers.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:21 pm

He's a happy camper now...

Chicago Bears, Devin Hester agree to 4-year contract extension
By David Haugh | Tribune reporter
1:49 PM CDT, July 27, 2008

BOURBONNAIS - The deal that Devin Hester showed up Friday to work out was finally hammered out Sunday, with the Bears agreeing to a four-year contract extension with the wide receiver/return man that could be worth as much as $40 million.

The contract, which locks up Hester with the Bears through 2013, includes $15 million in guarantees—the type of reward he was looking for after holding for two days in protest of a scheduled $445,000 salary. If Hester develops into the No. 1 receiver he believes he can be, then he will be able to trigger up to $10 million in escalators in the final year of the deal, according to a league source.

Hester becomes the ninth Bears starter and fifth Pro Bowl player the Bears have signed to a contract extension this off-season. It is believed this new contract will make Hester the highest-paid return man in NFL history.

Whereas there was more joy when Hester ended his holdout Friday, the reaction Sunday was more relief among Bears players and coaches.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 5176.story
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Good news is that DaBears made a smart move by keeping the most electrifying KR happy. ;-D
Bad news is that there is no reason on Earth that teams are going to kick to him. :-t

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk