2 QB Lineup in NFL Future? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2 QB Lineup in NFL Future?

Moderator: Football Moderators

2 QB Lineup in NFL Future?

Postby RudyBlue » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:37 pm

Just saw this link on yahoo and checked it out. Very interesting. Can it be done in the NFL?

RudyBlue

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=825031

Sorry, I forgot to post the url with the original note here. Yikes, it's old age. Me and Brett
Last edited by RudyBlue on Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RudyBlue
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2 QB Lineup in NFL Future?

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:39 pm

RudyBlue wrote:Just saw this link on yahoo and checked it out. Very interesting. Can it be done in the NFL?

RudyBlue

Missing Link.

But no, its a bad idea.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:49 pm

No way that would work in the NFL, defenses are WAY too fast. Maybe as a trick play every great once and a while but not as a regular offensive scheme.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:43 pm

Metroid wrote:No way that would work in the NFL, defenses are WAY too fast. Maybe as a trick play every great once and a while but not as a regular offensive scheme.

Forget defenses, its too stupid for the offense. You take a player off the field as a potential blocker or receiver. Your line has to be able to block multiple angles.

Besides, its all about talent. Obviously your qb2 is gonna be a lesser passer then your qb1, so why would you want him to throw a lot of passes. And since on non-passing plays you wind up needing your qbs to fill in as TE/FBs you wind up with a lesser blocker. And if you send the non-passing one out as a receiver he will be less talented then any WR you have.

It works at the HS level where you have a bunch of mediocre players who have similar skill sets, not in a highly specialized professional league.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:37 am

This offense would never work. NFL defenses are too smart to allow this to work. This offense worked in high school, where the D usually lines up in the same formation every single play. In addition, this offense worked because "defenses didn't know who was eligible" (according to the coach). I think in the NFL the defense wouldn't have too hard a time figuring out who is and who isn't eligible... I also can't imagine how the offense picks up a tricky blitz in this offense...

However, I've always wondered if two Qbs could work in the NFL, if you have two Brad Smith types playing the QB spots. I'd like to see a team with a terrible O-Line try it. The threat of having two Qbs (especially mobile QBs) who could throw the ball could really help a line in pass protection...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Firemoth » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:57 am

In the NFL, they would need to report to the referees which players will be eligable before each play, who often announces at that time. (Everyone potentionally NOT eligible would need to be wearing a lineman's number.)

Looks a lot like a flag football offense. In flag football, all players are eligable (including linemen) and many plays involve laterals to a 2nd (or 3rd) QB. You will very occasionally see a flag football type play as a trick play in the NFL. I will assume NFL coaches are well aware of flag football.

P.S., Can you imagine the center or a guard dropping back for a lateral in the NFL? That I have never seen.
Firemoth
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 5)

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:33 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:Besides, its all about talent.

Yup. There are too many teams that don't even field one good QB.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk