3 New Sleepers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3 New Sleepers

Moderator: Football Moderators

3 New Sleepers

Postby BayAreaSportsFan » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:40 pm

Who do you think will be this year's Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss, and Braylan Edwards? These guys were drafted in the 3rd round and even later and now are at the top. Please list your 3, I'll go first.

1. Darren McFadden - If Fargas can put up those type of numbers behind that O-line, imagine what McFadden will do.

2. Jake Delhomme - Did you see the stats he put up for the first 2 games before he got hurt? Those were Brady and Manning type numbers. And now he's got some help at WRs too.

3. Frank Gore - OK, this is not a deep sleeper, he was drafted in the first round last year anyway, but with Mike Martz he can turn into Marshall Faulk and maybe become top 3 RB next year.

I'm probably wrong on all 3 but it's good to be talking football again. Post your top 3 sleepers.
BayAreaSportsFan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3 New Sleepers

Postby The Lung » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:43 pm

(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:57 pm

BayAreaSportsFan wrote:Who do you think will be this year's Adrian Peterson, Randy Moss, and Braylan Edwards? These guys were drafted in the 3rd round and even later and now are at the top. Please list your 3, I'll go first.

1. Darren McFadden - If Fargas can put up those type of numbers behind that O-line, imagine what McFadden will do.

2. Jake Delhomme - Did you see the stats he put up for the first 2 games before he got hurt? Those were Brady and Manning type numbers. And now he's got some help at WRs too.

3. Frank Gore - OK, this is not a deep sleeper, he was drafted in the first round last year anyway, but with Mike Martz he can turn into Marshall Faulk and maybe become top 3 RB next year.

I'm probably wrong on all 3 but it's good to be talking football again. Post your top 3 sleepers.

McFadden isn't a sleeper. He is going earlier than he should.

Gore is not a sleeper either he is going around where he should

Delhomme is kind of a sleeper, but h is actually starting to go earlier than expected and is losing the sleeper title
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheMaizeAndBlue » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:45 pm

Well, first off, I'm going to start by saying that none of the big 5 rookie RBs (McFadden, J-Stewart, K. Smith, M. Forte and R. Mendenhall) can really be classified as sleepers anymore after all the hype around them. So here we go with my 3 sleepers. I'll try to do one from each of the big 3 positions, RB, WR, and QB.

1. Chris Perry-RB, Cincinatti Bengals. Yes, Kenny Watson is probably everyone's favorite back up bengal right now, But back when he was healthy, Chris Perry was fantasy gold, the best receiver out of the backfield among Bengals RBs, and probably the biggest home run threat too, keep this guy on your radar if/when Rudi goes down or is ineffective.

2. Jabar Gaffney-WR, New England Patriots. Takes over for Stallworth as a starter in New England's prolific pass offense, if injuries strike he could put up huge numbers, if not, he's a good bye week plug in.

3. Jay Cutler-QB, Denver Broncos. Yes, I'm copping out here, anybody who knows anything about fantasy football is well aware of Cutler's potential, but he's a late round guy who could well outperform his draft position.
TheMaizeAndBlue
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby B-eAsy510 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:27 am

If Marshall gets 4-8 games. D-JaC, Sheffler and Stokley all go past 11th rd.

Like the other guy said, one injury to Welker or Moss and either Gaffney or C.Jackson will be big.

Kevin Walter/Jacoby Jones - Walter put up decent numbers as first year starter and Jacoby showed last year that he is a playmaker and both are a Andre Johnson injury away from putting up good numbers.
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:10 am

To me a sleeper is a guy that is either going late in the draft or undrafted in some leagues, and has the potential to make a difference. Last years examples would be someone like Marshall, Favre (ADP last year was over 100) and LenDale, who all really paid off for their owners. Anyone who can call Gore, a universal top 5 pick last year and 1st or 2nd rounder this year a sleeper loses a lot of credibility in my book. You can't put that label on the rookie RBs either after last year. With AP and Lynch proving to be top tier backs the rookies are all being drafted far earlier then value says they should. Besides, AP (3rd) and Lynch (4th) both went relatively early last year in my leagues.

Guys I'm targeting late this year include:

Justin Gage, who is the top WR in Ten, and will benefit from any additional maturity in Young's passing game (I think he will improve).
J. Norwood and Mo Morris, who are backing up unproven first time starting RBs,
Jeff Garcia, who quietly was a top 12 QB most of the season

Guys who can be had after the 10th round and have decent upsides.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mariners100 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 am

I am looking at Berrian as a potential sleeper (I have seen him draft after round 10 or not drafted in some). I liked him in Chicago and I am waiting to see what he can do with T. Jack in Minny in the dome.

The other guys that I am looking at for late round picks are:

Felix Jones- I dont see MBIII getting every carry and Jones might steal some carries ala MBIII did in previous years.
Robert Meachem- His value diminishes now with Shockey joining the team..... but I still think he can put up some numbers (watch him later in the year).
Laurent Robinson- Atlanta is horrible but they need someone to make plays to help Turner, watch for Robinson to make some big plays in the passing game.

Not really a sleeper but I am looking for Alge Crumpler to have a good year... I like him in the new O and I think he could gain some trust from VY and get some balls in the redzone.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby chchelse » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:55 am

One guy I'm looking at targeting for a WR3 in the 9th or 10th round is Patrick Crayton. I think it is possible that he could have 60 catches, 840 yds, 8td's this year. This would make him a borderline top 20 receiver. Positives: Good QB, high scoring team with a good passing game, not a lot of competition for his WR2 spot. Negatives: 3rd option behind Owens and Witten in the passing game.

With an ADP 0f 100, I think he has a lot of value for a late round WR.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mariners100 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:00 am

chchelse wrote:One guy I'm looking at targeting for a WR3 in the 9th or 10th round is Patrick Crayton. I think it is possible that he could have 60 catches, 840 yds, 8td's this year. This would make him a borderline top 20 receiver. Positives: Good QB, high scoring team with a good passing game, not a lot of competition for his WR2 spot. Negatives: 3rd option behind Owens and Witten in the passing game.

With an ADP 0f 100, I think he has a lot of value for a late round WR.

I have the feeling that Crayton is going to be on a lot of people's radars now that the Cowboys cut Glenn.. but I too will be targeting him later on too.. ;-D
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:07 am

A sleeper is a guy that no one has the guts to draft as a starter or a starter drafting in the latter half of the draft that some people think has the potential to put in a big year.

QB - Jake Delhomme, going in the 10th-11th, Delhomme gets back a still productive Muhammed and added weapon Hackett to help out Smith. Carolina drafts a punishing runner, Stewart, and also has multi-dimensional DeAngelo. This is the most fire power Delhomme has ever had to work with. Carolina has, by consensus, one of the easiest pass schedule as well. His health is the only issue. If not for that, I'd be confident in him posting career #'s.

RB - LenDale White, going around the 7th round, about the 28th back off the board. He's one of the few backs who's sleeper status is not dependent on someone in front of him getting hurt. Others in this category would include Forte, K. Smith, S. Young but White has the best line and best chance of not getting replaced. Guys like Mendenhall, C. Taylor, F. Jones, Torain, or Ricky Williams I do not really like as sleepers because, while possibly being moderately productive, their true upside is tied to the player in front of them going down with an injury.

WR - Bryant Johnson, can be had in the 12th-13th, he transitions over from AZ to Mike Martz led SF offense. This is a red light flashing to me. The downside is whether he and A. Smith can successfully grasp Martz's offense. Gore could very well lead the team in catches. Bryant's a stretch the field type guy with sub 4.4 speed. Martz is going to throw it a ton there. There is really no one to challenge Bryant's job. Keep an eye out in the pre-season.

TE - Tony Scheffler, going in the 12-13th, Scheffler caught nearly 49 passes for 549yds and 5 scores in 3/4 of a season. I had Scheffler pegged to catch 65 balls for 700 yards and 7 TDs. If Marshall is out 4-8 games, expect his productivity to go up even more. He has a great rapport with Cutler.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk