3 New Sleepers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3 New Sleepers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 3 New Sleepers

Postby Azrael » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:11 am

mariners100 wrote:
Not really a sleeper but I am looking for Alge Crumpler to have a good year... I like him in the new O and I think he could gain some trust from VY and get some balls in the redzone.

I would call Crumpler a sleeper. Getting drafted in the 12-13th definitely garners sleeper status.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BayAreaSportsFan » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:57 am

Azrael wrote:A sleeper is a guy that no one has the guts to draft as a starter or a starter drafting in the latter half of the draft that some people think has the potential to put in a big year.

QB - Jake Delhomme, going in the 10th-11th, Delhomme gets back a still productive Muhammed and added weapon Hackett to help out Smith. Carolina drafts a punishing runner, Stewart, and also has multi-dimensional DeAngelo. This is the most fire power Delhomme has ever had to work with. Carolina has, by consensus, one of the easiest pass schedule as well. His health is the only issue. If not for that, I'd be confident in him posting career #'s.

RB - LenDale White, going around the 7th round, about the 28th back off the board. He's one of the few backs who's sleeper status is not dependent on someone in front of him getting hurt. Others in this category would include Forte, K. Smith, S. Young but White has the best line and best chance of not getting replaced. Guys like Mendenhall, C. Taylor, F. Jones, Torain, or Ricky Williams I do not really like as sleepers because, while possibly being moderately productive, their true upside is tied to the player in front of them going down with an injury.

WR - Bryant Johnson, can be had in the 12th-13th, he transitions over from AZ to Mike Martz led SF offense. This is a red light flashing to me. The downside is whether he and A. Smith can successfully grasp Martz's offense. Gore could very well lead the team in catches. Bryant's a stretch the field type guy with sub 4.4 speed. Martz is going to throw it a ton there. There is really no one to challenge Bryant's job. Keep an eye out in the pre-season.

TE - Tony Scheffler, going in the 12-13th, Scheffler caught nearly 49 passes for 549yds and 5 scores in 3/4 of a season. I had Scheffler pegged to catch 65 balls for 700 yards and 7 TDs. If Marshall is out 4-8 games, expect his productivity to go up even more. He has a great rapport with Cutler.

Yeah, I like Bryant Johnson too. They just have to get that QB thing sorted out.
BayAreaSportsFan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:57 pm

mariners100 wrote:
chchelse wrote:One guy I'm looking at targeting for a WR3 in the 9th or 10th round is Patrick Crayton. I think it is possible that he could have 60 catches, 840 yds, 8td's this year. This would make him a borderline top 20 receiver. Positives: Good QB, high scoring team with a good passing game, not a lot of competition for his WR2 spot. Negatives: 3rd option behind Owens and Witten in the passing game.

With an ADP 0f 100, I think he has a lot of value for a late round WR.

I have the feeling that Crayton is going to be on a lot of people's radars now that the Cowboys cut Glenn.. but I too will be targeting him later on too.. ;-D

I don't know why everybody is on the bandwagon so late, Glenn didn't play at all last year and wasn't expected to play this year much anyway...I think Crayton can pull in 1000 yds, he's still behind other #2 WR's like Cotchery because he's not as consistent, but he could be in line for a huge year in the ballpark of 1000/8 and he is getting drafted very late.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Brianst » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:11 pm

I wouldn't call McFadden a sleeper, I am thinking about grabbing him at #7.

3 Sleepers

1. I like crumpler for my TE

2. RB- Stewart for Carolina. Should get decent yards but be great on the goal-line. Delhomme too but another non-sleeper. I realy like Carolina's offense this year.

3. Again, I am not sure if he is a sleeper but I haven't seen him mentioned much - Calvin Johnson Wr Det. I hope to be able to draft him in the 4-6 range. I will probably jump early and grab him in round 4 when I could have gotten him in round 6.
Brianst
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby timoshimoon » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:17 pm

my sleepers!!

qb - delhomme / cutler (depending on marshall situation)

rb - thomas jones / pierre thomas / ricky williams / ahman green / chris brown

wr - cotchery / burleson / isaac bruce / sidney rice

te - heap / olsen
madaslives911 for president!
2007-2008 10-Team House of Pain League
QB-Hass
RB-Gore-LJ-Lynch-Deangelo
WR-A.Johnson-Fitz-Roddy-R.Williams
TE-Witten
timoshimoon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:53 pm

timoshimoon wrote:my sleepers!!

te - heap / olsen

Delhomme and Cutler aren't exactly sleepers. Both are top 12 QBs, top 14 at worse. Ahman Green is a bum, and won't be the starter in Houston more then a couple weeks. Rice is now the #2 target for a bad QB. Cotchery is coming off a year were he was a top 25 WR, and his ADP puts him in the 20th wr range, so he doesnt really qualify as a sleeper.

I just dont understand how most of those players qualify as "sleepers" in a 12 team or more league.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby B-eAsy510 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:21 pm

How about David Patten in NO. I know they got Shockey and Bush and Colston but it looks like Bree's had a nice thing with him last year and he put up like 800/3. Probably not as good of an option with Shockey there but just trying to throw out some real sleepers.
B-eAsy510
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby timoshimoon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:24 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:
timoshimoon wrote:my sleepers!!

te - heap / olsen

Delhomme and Cutler aren't exactly sleepers. Both are top 12 QBs, top 14 at worse. Ahman Green is a bum, and won't be the starter in Houston more then a couple weeks. Rice is now the #2 target for a bad QB. Cotchery is coming off a year were he was a top 25 WR, and his ADP puts him in the 20th wr range, so he doesnt really qualify as a sleeper.

I just dont understand how most of those players qualify as "sleepers" in a 12 team or more league.

Hey webstersdictionary!

nice that you can lay down your definition of sleeper, but I don't really care. These are "my sleepers" hence the quote "my sleeers" which would also entail "my definition of sleeper and not yours. i'm glad you can act in your elitist way and tell me your global definition of sleeper, but i don't really care and you can move along =]
madaslives911 for president!
2007-2008 10-Team House of Pain League
QB-Hass
RB-Gore-LJ-Lynch-Deangelo
WR-A.Johnson-Fitz-Roddy-R.Williams
TE-Witten
timoshimoon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dgan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:18 am

QB - Brian Brohm, Green Bay

I think when you're talking sleepers at QB, you're talking about someone who doesn't have the starting job but could put up good numbers if he stepped in - and is likely to step in. It is looking more and more like Favre's future is not in Green Bay. Rodgers is as frail as we've seen at QB. And word out of camp is that, while Brohm loses to Rodgers on the deep passing game, Brohm is the better game manager. Some argue he is really better at what the Packers do 90% of the time (short passing game) than Rodgers. If Rodgers goes out early, Brohm could have success. I think there is an excellent chance Brohm starts 10 games this year.

RB - Ryan Torain, Denver

I don't know if you can call any RB in Denver a sleeper anymore. But if you can, Torain is the guy I'd label. Denver hasn't produced the fantasy changing RB in a while, but this guy has the skill set to do it. He was injured for much of his final year in college, causing him to fall in the NFL draft to the 5th round and off the fantasy radar. I wouldn't bet on him, but I'd keep an eye on him.

WR - Robert Meachem, New Orleans

All those weapons in New Orleans - sometimes the first few solid picks are drafted (Brees, Bush, Colston, Shockey) and then everyone ignores the leftovers. I like to accumulate secondary players on really good offenses. You know that if they get significant playing time, they are in a good situation to score a lot of points. Meachem is the most complete player to lineup opposite of Colston. If he can beat out an old man and a one tool speedster, he's going to be part of a very successful offense.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby moochman » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:31 am

I lke Schuab as a sleeper QB. The Texans system should be pretty well set going into its' 3rd(?) year and he has many nice passing targets. AJ, Walter, Davis, Green, and Owens should always leave him options. I could see 3,700 and 25 TDs.

RB Ricky Williams of the Phins{ could really be a factor should Brown prove to have lost a step. Reportedly in great shape and working as hasd as any one on the team.

RB Mike Bell of the Raiders could be a supreme TD vulture with lots of upside, but unlikely to get significant playing time should McFaddy prove effective at the goal line.

WR Arnez Battle of the 9ers. A converted QB who has shown elusiveness once possesing the ball, Arnez might it in perfectly in the Martz O in SF. Now getting a QB to get him the ball could be an issue.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk