3 New Sleepers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

3 New Sleepers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 3 New Sleepers

Postby BayAreaSportsFan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 am

Bobbleheadrusty wrote:To me a sleeper is a guy that is either going late in the draft or undrafted in some leagues, and has the potential to make a difference. Last years examples would be someone like Marshall, Favre (ADP last year was over 100) and LenDale, who all really paid off for their owners. Anyone who can call Gore, a universal top 5 pick last year and 1st or 2nd rounder this year a sleeper loses a lot of credibility in my book. You can't put that label on the rookie RBs either after last year. With AP and Lynch proving to be top tier backs the rookies are all being drafted far earlier then value says they should. Besides, AP (3rd) and Lynch (4th) both went relatively early last year in my leagues.

Guys I'm targeting late this year include:

Justin Gage, who is the top WR in Ten, and will benefit from any additional maturity in Young's passing game (I think he will improve).
J. Norwood and Mo Morris, who are backing up unproven first time starting RBs,
Jeff Garcia, who quietly was a top 12 QB most of the season

Guys who can be had after the 10th round and have decent upsides.

Hey Mr. Elitist,

Like tim said, we don't really care about your definition of sleeper, everyone has their own sleepers. Anyone who thinks their sleeper is better than anyone else's loses a lot of credibility in everyone's book. So just give your opinion off your high horse, thanks.
BayAreaSportsFan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BayAreaSportsFan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:50 am

timoshimoon wrote:my sleepers!!

qb - delhomme / cutler (depending on marshall situation)

rb - thomas jones / pierre thomas / ricky williams / ahman green / chris brown

wr - cotchery / burleson / isaac bruce / sidney rice

te - heap / olsen

Yeah, I like Pierre Thomas too. Mccallister is getting old and injury prone, and Bush is just too soft, he's gotta man up.
BayAreaSportsFan
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Ousmagic » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:33 pm

alright ill play..

QB: phillip rivers, can be drafted as a number 2 QB and i see him becoming a quality starting fantasy qb by years end
Matt Leinart- i think this is the year he stays healthy and with those weapons around him he can easily finish as a top 12 qb if healthy

RB:Michael Turner and Thomas Jones, not exactly sleepers but i see turner finishing as a top 10 rb this year and jones as top 15

WR:Nate Burleson- with branch hurt and i see engrams year last year as an anomaly and his stats will probably go down this year i see burleson becoming hasselbecks favorite target and with there great passing offense he should put up some really good numbers
Steve Smith nyg- i think he'll overtake amani toomer early in the year as giants #2 wr and have a solid season
Ousmagic
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:33 pm

BayAreaSportsFan wrote:
Bobbleheadrusty wrote:To me a sleeper is a guy that is either going late in the draft or undrafted in some leagues, and has the potential to make a difference. Last years examples would be someone like Marshall, Favre (ADP last year was over 100) and LenDale, who all really paid off for their owners. Anyone who can call Gore, a universal top 5 pick last year and 1st or 2nd rounder this year a sleeper loses a lot of credibility in my book. You can't put that label on the rookie RBs either after last year. With AP and Lynch proving to be top tier backs the rookies are all being drafted far earlier then value says they should. Besides, AP (3rd) and Lynch (4th) both went relatively early last year in my leagues.

Guys I'm targeting late this year include:

Justin Gage, who is the top WR in Ten, and will benefit from any additional maturity in Young's passing game (I think he will improve).
J. Norwood and Mo Morris, who are backing up unproven first time starting RBs,
Jeff Garcia, who quietly was a top 12 QB most of the season

Guys who can be had after the 10th round and have decent upsides.

Hey Mr. Elitist,

Like tim said, we don't really care about your definition of sleeper, everyone has their own sleepers. Anyone who thinks their sleeper is better than anyone else's loses a lot of credibility in everyone's book. So just give your opinion off your high horse, thanks.

Maybe if you had something productive to say instead of an insult? I defined my idea of a sleeper and gave my sleepers. If you disagree, then disagree, no need to name call.

Besides, I think most people on here would agree with me that guys going in the 4th and 5th round aren't sleepers
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:06 pm

Bobbleheadrusty, timoshimoon , and BayAreaSportsFan: Take it easy, fellas.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby timoshimoon » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:23 pm

haha bad day. my bad =].

couple other late round guys who could have ff relevance this year.

qb - alex smith / shaun hill whoever wins the starting job in SF should put up some good passing numbers in Martz system

wr - darrel jackson / jacoby jones / mark bradley / drew carter / arnaz battle / mike walker / james jones

rb - maurice morris / derrick ward / michael bush / ryan torrain

te - zach miller / dustin keller

most of these guys will go undrafted in a 12team league, so i guess that's pretty sleeper. All of these guys went undrafted in a recent live 12 team redraft draft of mine except darrel jackson / michael bush / ryan torrain.
madaslives911 for president!
2007-2008 10-Team House of Pain League
QB-Hass
RB-Gore-LJ-Lynch-Deangelo
WR-A.Johnson-Fitz-Roddy-R.Williams
TE-Witten
timoshimoon
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:31 pm

From CBSSports.com: http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fantasyfootball/story/10890728

Draft prep: Our sleepers for 2008
July 24, 2008
By Dave Richard
Senior Fantasy Writer

Fantasy Football owners pride themselves on drafting sleepers. The players who aren't on the radar in August but get on the radar in September are always sweeter to own than the obvious studs everyone has on their teams to begin with. Nail a sleeper in your draft, and your team is already a leg-up on your fellow owners. Miss on one, and it's not too bad because no sleeper is drafted with a high pick.

Last year, we touted Brett Favre, Jeff Garcia and Santonio Holmes as sleepers in our magazine. This year, our list is long and loaded with veteran players, non-first-round rookies and even players you might not have previously heard of. And we've provided a varied list of sleepers -- from guys drafted in every league to guys who might only get nabbed with a late-round pick in the deepest of drafts.

All average draft positions and projections as of July 24, 2008

continued...
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby dmac37 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:18 pm

My take:

QB
Rodgers- GB has the system and weapons for Rodgers to thrive
Schaub- Glad I got him last year, Texans offense ready to really take off

RB
Hard to predict a true RB sleeper without an injury.
A. Bradshaw- NYG situation looking more like RBBC, Bradshaw could produce like the playoffs last year at a cheap price.
A Green / C Brown combo- Because both will come cheap, it wil be worth seeing if one is the go to guy due to injury or go to RB.

WR
Boldin- Not a real sleeper but may produce like a true #1 FF WR
CJII- May take another year but grab him while you can for dynasty.
Driver- Last year still had everything but TD's, which can be hard to predict.
young flyers=
Burton STL- more ready than Avery to fill open WR spot
M. Walker- may be the only Jax WR with #1 WR upside

TE
McMichael- Rams should bounce back and Saunders is known to force feed the TE
Heap- Wont be cheap but seems to be forgotten and Cam is another OC who force feeds the TE
dmac37
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:21 pm

Azrael wrote:A sleeper is a guy that no one has the guts to draft as a starter or a starter drafting in the latter half of the draft that some people think has the potential to put in a big year.

I agree...it used to mean a player no one new about but in this day and age everyone (at least all the good players) knows about everyone...now i just take it to mean undervalued and/or late round pick with big potential

that said, here are my "sleepers" for each position

QB - Jason Campbell - i dont expect top 5 numbers or anything, but he's a guy who can be had late that i think can post Top 10-12ish numbers making him a nice backup/platoon QB
Kurt Warner Matt Lienert is the future, and it's not like the Cards really have a good shot at the post-season, but if he gets a shot again we all saw what he can do last year

RB - Ricky Williams - with Ronnie Brown coming off an ACL injury and no other real threats, i think Ricky has a chance to put up some nice numbers, nice enough to at least be a bye week/injury fill-in or even a spot start based on mathcups. yes he has his own injury problems and yes he's flakey, but for a late round pick i like him
Michael Pittman it's Denver, why not...at the least i think he'll see the bulk of 3rd down carries which could make him worth a spot start in deep PPR leagues

WR - Sidney Rice - not expecting huge numbers, but i think he has the potential for a few big games and is at least worthy as a by week player
Arnaz Battle i expect 2006 Mike Furrey and 2007 Shaun McDonald type numbers
Mario Urrutia DEEP sleeper for Dynasty Leagues...he's like Marques Colston, but slower and with bad hands :-b

TE - Zach Miller
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Cooner » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:35 pm

QB: I like the Schaub pick, so to be different, I'll say David Garrard (though his value seems to be rising). I have him projected at around 10th best QB, but in most drafts/auctions I've seen him going around 12-15th in QBs.

RB: Hard to argue with Michael Turner producing more than his current ADP. I'm also keeping a very close eye on Houston to see what happens there. Grabbing all three if you can get them late may not be a bad idea... the result might be a solid RB.

WR: DJ Hackett nearly went "undrafted" in my auction, until I grabbed him for a buck at the end. Potential for a very nice #3 WR.
Best... fantasy advice... EVER. :D

[quote]Always play the players who will get you the most points[/quote]
Cooner
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk