keeper league retraction - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

keeper league retraction

Moderator: Football Moderators

keeper league retraction

Postby kingfisch » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:37 am

How is the best way to retract the number of owners while bringing in new owners?
Im currently running a 12 team 3keeper league (1 VET(loss of 1st rounder), 1 ROOKIE(loss of 4th rounder), 1 LATE ROUND PICK-loss of round 12-15). example: my team would keep Stephen Jackson- 1st round, Marshawn Lynch-4th Round, and Brandon Marshall-12th round.
We have decided to lower the number of teams and lose the dead weight. We currently have 3 new owners coming in with 5 open teams available.
AT FIRST WE WERE THINKING OF LETTING OWNERS PICK THEIR TEAMS "FIRST COME FIRST SERVE". BAD IDEA SINCE ONLY ONE TEAM IS ACTUALLY WORTH A DARN (THEY HAVE LT). NEXT WE THOUGHT WE WOULD DRAW TEAMS OUT OF A HAT. STARTING TO THINK THIS IS A LITTLE SLANTED ALSO, BUT ATLEAST A LEGIT WAY TO SETTLE IT. WHAT ABOUT THROWING ALL 5 TEAMS INTO THE DRAFT POOL AND GIVING THE 3 NEW OWNERS THE FIRST 3 PICKS IN THE FIRST AND GOING TO THE SERPENTINE FROM THERE? HOW DO YOU THINK THIS WOULD PLAY OUT OVERALL? LET ME KOW YOUR THOUGHTS.....THANKS
kingfisch
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: keeper league retraction

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:14 pm

kingfisch wrote:How is the best way to retract the number of owners while bringing in new owners?
Im currently running a 12 team 3keeper league (1 VET(loss of 1st rounder), 1 ROOKIE(loss of 4th rounder), 1 LATE ROUND PICK-loss of round 12-15). example: my team would keep Stephen Jackson- 1st round, Marshawn Lynch-4th Round, and Brandon Marshall-12th round.
We have decided to lower the number of teams and lose the dead weight. We currently have 3 new owners coming in with 5 open teams available.
AT FIRST WE WERE THINKING OF LETTING OWNERS PICK THEIR TEAMS "FIRST COME FIRST SERVE". BAD IDEA SINCE ONLY ONE TEAM IS ACTUALLY WORTH A DARN (THEY HAVE LT). NEXT WE THOUGHT WE WOULD DRAW TEAMS OUT OF A HAT. STARTING TO THINK THIS IS A LITTLE SLANTED ALSO, BUT ATLEAST A LEGIT WAY TO SETTLE IT. WHAT ABOUT THROWING ALL 5 TEAMS INTO THE DRAFT POOL AND GIVING THE 3 NEW OWNERS THE FIRST 3 PICKS IN THE FIRST AND GOING TO THE SERPENTINE FROM THERE? HOW DO YOU THINK THIS WOULD PLAY OUT OVERALL? LET ME KOW YOUR THOUGHTS.....THANKS

I have never done this in a football league (only baseball), but I am actually a fan in limited keeper leagues, of dropping all teams' players into the pool and letting the new owners fight it out serpentine style. Then, they should get a decently high draft spot by default IF you want to make it competitive - if you want the feel of a true "expansion" team experience for them, then put them at the end of the first round and let them rebuild. They will still get quality with the swing picks considering 3 guys are kept by 10 teams. Each guy SHOULD have at least one top-2-rounds type player and then they can build for the future from there!

Hope this helps ;-D

BTW, that all-caps hurts my eyes 8-o
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:28 pm

kingfisch wrote:How is the best way to retract the number of owners while bringing in new owners?

Too many Caps.

In my own league we did this, went from 14 to 12 while also replacing 2. We liquidated all 4 teams, put everyone into the player pool and drafted as normal, giving pick 1 and 2 to the new teams. We also let them play for 1/2 price the first year, since they were going to be stuck with significantly lesser teams in a 5 keeper.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tpflanz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 am

How about doing an auction for the new owners to take over the teams?

Let the new owners bid on the available teams. Start all auctions at one time. Allow new owners to be the high bidder on only one team. Start the bidding at your league entry fee and see if new owners will pay a premium for the teams and add the difference to the payout for the current season.

You could also take the extra money from selling a team at a premium and start a "cash reserve." The "cash reserve" would be kept until someone bails out with an absolutely horrible team. You can then take that extra cash and sell the team at a discount without affecting the payout pool.

Example:
League entry fee is $50
Teams available in 2008: Chiefs, Chargers, Texans, Colts, Patriots
New Owners: Joe, Dave, Brian

After auction:
Joe buys Chiefs for $50
Dave buys Colts for $70
Brian buys Patriots for $70
Cash Reserves = $40

Following 2008 season:
Bill leaves the league. He ran his team, Dolphins, into the ground and traded away his first round pick in 2009, 2010 and 2011. The best player on his team is TE Tony Gonzalez. Now there is no any that any owners in their right mind would pay $50 to take over this team. At this point you can sell the team for $10 for the 2009 season and not adjust the prize payouts.

Note: I always suggest requiring a 50% year 2 deposit from all new owners in keeper and dynasty leagues, and require all owners to pay 50% deposit for any year in which they trade away a draft pick.
tpflanz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner