ANWR... To drill or not to drill? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

ANWR... To drill or not to drill?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: ANWR... To drill or not to drill?

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:29 pm

I say yes to an independent energy source and thus, no to drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. My opposition has absolutely nothing to do with some sort of tree-hugging leftist agenda, and everything to do with basic economic principles.

Even if we began drilling today, the oil that Americans are searching for wouldn't hit the pumps for years, maybe even a decade. It's been estimated that if we tapped into the banned areas off the coast of Florida and California, it would eventually produce 250,000 barrels a day. This may seem like an impressive figure, but consider our country consumes more than 20 million barrels a day.

More importantly, the common misconception is that the oil that we find is ours to keep. This is untrue, as oil is traded on the world market. Ending the Congressional ban on offshore drilling would allow any oil company to drill, American or not.

By 2015, it is estimated that the world will consume almost 100 million barrels a day. It is pretty simple math. I find it unfathomable that 250,000 more barrels a day 8-10 years from now will have an substantial impact on what I pay at the pump.

For Big Oil, it is a land grab. Oil companies are already sitting on 68 million acres that have not been touched. They are fighting for a ban on offshore drilling to claim mineral rights on plots of lands because it means immediate revenue. Here's a newsflash: Big Oil is not concerned with how much you are paying at the pump.

This whole offshore drilling farce is a distraction from ending our financially disastrous oil addiction and becoming completely energy independent.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: ANWR... To drill or not to drill?

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:32 pm

VHawk15 wrote:I say yes to an independent energy source and thus, no to drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. My opposition has absolutely nothing to do with some sort of tree-hugging leftist agenda, and everything to do with basic economic principles.

Even if we began drilling today, the oil that Americans are searching for wouldn't hit the pumps for years, maybe even a decade. It's been estimated that if we tapped into the banned areas off the coast of Florida and California, it would eventually produce 250,000 barrels a day. This may seem like an impressive figure, but consider our country consumes more than 20 million barrels a day.

More importantly, the common misconception is that the oil that we find is ours to keep. This is untrue, as oil is traded on the world market. Ending the Congressional ban on offshore drilling would allow any oil company to drill, American or not.

By 2015, it is estimated that the world will consume almost 100 million barrels a day. It is pretty simple math. I find it unfathomable that 250,000 more barrels a day 8-10 years from now will have an substantial impact on what I pay at the pump.

For Big Oil, it is a land grab. Oil companies are already sitting on 68 million acres that have not been touched. They are fighting for a ban on offshore drilling to claim mineral rights on plots of lands because it means immediate revenue. Here's a newsflash: Big Oil is not concerned with how much you are paying at the pump.

This whole offshore drilling farce is a distraction from ending our financially disastrous oil addiction and becoming completely energy independent.

well hello there VHawk, haven't seen you in awhile. ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk