Dynasty Setup Advice - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Dynasty Setup Advice

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dynasty Setup Advice

Postby cbower4545 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:59 pm

So I have my dynasty league almost filled out. We are going to do a start up draft soon, August 1st. I have currently in the rules:

1- we have a 25 man roster that gets cut down to 15 at the end of the year

2- The veteran go into the next years draft for a rookie/veteran draft it last 15 rounds - preseason roster can go to 30 and must be cut down to 25 by the start of the year

Reasoning - I want some player movement but dont want to make it as complicated as a salary cap league. I believe this will help some weaker teams out a little a maybe interject a little parity. Also I like the idea of keeping some excitement in the drat.

Concerns - I starting to get concerned that 15 is not enough to be able to stash players for the future. I do want teams to be able to develop young talent.

Should I create a practice squad for development players? Increase the amount of protected players? or leave it alone? We haven't drafted yet, but is it bad practice to make such a change after recruiting owners already? Should a change only donw with a league vote? Or should I just ride out what I got and ask people in 09' what they think for '10

*I still consider this setup dynasty although it might technically be considered keeper
cbower4545
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dynasty Setup Advice

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:06 am

cbower4545 wrote:So I have my dynasty league almost filled out. We are going to do a start up draft soon, August 1st. I have currently in the rules:

1- we have a 25 man roster that gets cut down to 15 at the end of the year

2- The veteran go into the next years draft for a rookie/veteran draft it last 15 rounds - preseason roster can go to 30 and must be cut down to 25 by the start of the year

Reasoning - I want some player movement but dont want to make it as complicated as a salary cap league. I believe this will help some weaker teams out a little a maybe interject a little parity. Also I like the idea of keeping some excitement in the drat.

Concerns - I starting to get concerned that 15 is not enough to be able to stash players for the future. I do want teams to be able to develop young talent.

Should I create a practice squad for development players? Increase the amount of protected players? or leave it alone? We haven't drafted yet, but is it bad practice to make such a change after recruiting owners already? Should a change only donw with a league vote? Or should I just ride out what I got and ask people in 09' what they think for '10

*I still consider this setup dynasty although it might technically be considered keeper

I would call this a deeper keeper league, but personally I am all for this format. I have an IDP league where we keep a similar number of guys (comparably) and I think it offers a great opportunity to make choices to stockpile for the future or make a run at the title (or somewhere between). I love the deeper keeper idea where you keep a lot more than 3-5 guys but still aren't tied to the dynasty/salary cap idea, especially for owners that love the game but might not have enough time to dedicate to mroe intense league setups. I think you are on the right track for sure ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cbower4545 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:05 pm

Thanks for the input WaCougMBS!
cbower4545
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:52 pm

I have a 12 team dynasty.

20 Man rosters, with a 4 man practice squad.

We keep 18 from year to year, leaving us with a 6 round draft. (dominated by rookies)

Practice squads ARE raidable, either you have to give up your lowest remaining pick the following year or start the player the next two weeks, which is probably the most exciting part of the season.

I know I lost Grant off my squad early last year, but grabbed D. Lee off someone elses.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steeltowne Commish_The Slovene » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:23 pm

12 team dynasty/salary cap league.

We have at max 22 man roster - 8 Active, 7 reserve, 2 injured spots (must have injured status), and 5 practice squad (must be $0 or $1 players; no $1 K or Def).

$100 salary cap.

We operate on a 3 year contract and adjust salaries like this:
Keepers values that rise must be paid no less than 1/2 of new year's projected auction value (round up if odd) (Jennings' 07 was $2, his 08 is $12, so his keeper value is $6)
Keepers values that fall must be paid no less 1/2 of last year's contract price. (S. Alexander's 07 was $34, his 08 is $0 or $1, so his keeper value is $17)

Free agents take current year's projected auction value for 3 year contract.

1 month before draft, teams must cut to $100. FA and Rookies are draft in 5 rounds.

Free Agent Auction Budget rules free-agency and waivers thereafter.
"He who puts on the armor ought not to boast like him who takes it off."
Steeltowne Commish_The Slovene
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby tpflanz » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:03 am

I agree that you rosters are not deep enough, but I am not a fan of the "practice" or "taxi" squad, just expand your season rosters to 19 or 20.

I really like cutting down rosters after the draft and not before. That is what I do in my dynasty leagues.
tpflanz
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner