How do you think Maurice Jones Drew will perform this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How do you think Maurice Jones Drew will perform this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How do you think Maurice Jones Drew will perform this year?

Postby pattylinboy » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:24 pm

Breakout season?
pattylinboy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How do you think Maurice Jones Drew will perform this year?

Postby mystykoekaki » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:28 pm

He already had his breakout season, he will do pretty good....I'm not expecting the moon though.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mattb47 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:40 pm

Yea...Fred Taylor is still there and the RBBC has done well in extending his career further giving him some of this best seasons in the NFL to date with MJD in the fold. Expect more of the same this year as we saw last year so while he's a solid #2/#3 RB, he wont approach RB#1 numbers this season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:46 pm

Alot of people like to draft him as a RB2 but he's a very dangerous play IMO. His true potential is tied to Taylor getting hurt. With the situation currently I would not expect much more out of him than last year. 1,200 yds and 9 TDs is not a bad total for a RB2 but because he touches the ball less than 15 times a game you end up with spotty results all year long 5 points here and there and 20 points here and there. I'd rather have a guy who puts in his work week in and week out like McGahee. Not as explosive and not as much potential but the dude contributes to your fantasy team. McGahee reeled off 12 straight weeks of double digit fantasy points last year before having a couple duds late.

Don't expect much more yardage out of MJD. He just doesn't touch the ball enough. Don't be one of those guys who think that MJD is going to "take over". Jax isn't dumb they are going to get as much mileage out of Taylor as they can before having to use MJD more than they do. The recipe works so they aren't going to change it. And if for some reason he doesn't push double digit TDs then you've got yourself a 2nd round dud. On the other hand if Taylor gets seriously hurt at some point then you've got yourself a steal.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby dgan » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:52 pm

Azrael wrote:Alot of people like to draft him as a RB2 but he's a very dangerous play IMO. His true potential is tied to Taylor getting hurt. With the situation currently I would not expect much more out of him than last year. 1,200 yds and 9 TDs is not a bad total for a RB2 but because he touches the ball less than 15 times a game you end up with spotty results all year long 5 points here and there and 20 points here and there. I'd rather have a guy who puts in his work week in and week out like McGahee. Not as explosive and not as much potential but the dude contributes to your fantasy team. McGahee reeled off 12 straight weeks of double digit fantasy points last year before having a couple duds late.

Don't expect much more yardage out of MJD. He just doesn't touch the ball enough. Don't be one of those guys who think that MJD is going to "take over". Jax isn't dumb they are going to get as much mileage out of Taylor as they can before having to use MJD more than they do. The recipe works so they aren't going to change it. And if for some reason he doesn't push double digit TDs then you've got yourself a 2nd round dud. On the other hand if Taylor gets seriously hurt at some point then you've got yourself a steal.

I'm guessing you meant 1200 total yds, similar to last year. If you think he has any increase at all in that production, such as them splitting carries more evenly (Taylor had 223 carries last year, MJD 167), then he is simply a first round pick. If you think he takes over, you arguably have a top 5 back. His TD total will not decline - he led the league in short yardage carries last year with 35. Even though his conversion percentage wasn't terribly impressive, it is obvious Jax trusts him with those carries.

I personally have him as a mid-first rounder along with all the other guys in that same category - Addai, Barber, Portis - I'll wait to see how those guys juggle into my draft board, but I see them all pretty equal. All with good upside but some worry that they could easily have a mediocre fantasy season.

I don't see how anyone could predict his numbers declining, and he was already one of the best RB2 to be had. He had double-digit carries in all but 3 games he played last year, and his receiving yardage more than made up for that. This is an offense that will rush for over 2300 yds - MJD will get his plus his receiving yardage. My main concern isn't his offensive production - it is him getting hurt on special teams.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby footballsimp » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:48 am

I think he will do about what he did last year. I would NOT want him as my #1 back. He is not in the same category as Portis or Barber III. Not even close.
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Stelly » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:31 am

I think he's a solid RB2, probably ranked around the 13-15 range in running backs. Taking him in the second round would depend on a few things - who else is available (obviously), and what RBs will be left for me in the third round.

If I'm not getting a top teir WR (Moss, maybe TO) in the 2nd, I'd rather take MJD in the second and grab one of the WRs ranked 3-10 in the third, since they are all close IMO. I'd rather have MJD and lower Top 10 WR (Colston, Smith) than have a Wayne/AJ/Edwards and say, Graham/Parker/Maroney as my RB2.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby MrTwo94 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 am

footballsimp wrote:I think he will do about what he did last year. I would NOT want him as my #1 back. He is not in the same category as Portis or Barber III. Not even close.

Well, if you are drafting at #12 then Portis and Barber aren't really options, are they? I love statements like that. If you are down at #12, MJD is not a horrible RB1. He finished as RB13 last year and doesn't look to get any less touches this year. As mentioned earlier, McGahee is probably a better pick. Based on last year alone that is true but if you factor in that he was only a 1st and 2nd down back last year and that Cam Cameron wants to make him a 3 down back, that's all the more reason to angle for him. MJD was hit or miss from game to game last year. Might not be horrible to go McGahee/MJD with the 12/13 position.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Azrael wrote:Alot of people like to draft him as a RB2 but he's a very dangerous play IMO. His true potential is tied to Taylor getting hurt. With the situation currently I would not expect much more out of him than last year. 1,200 yds and 9 TDs is not a bad total for a RB2 but because he touches the ball less than 15 times a game you end up with spotty results all year long 5 points here and there and 20 points here and there. I'd rather have a guy who puts in his work week in and week out like McGahee. Not as explosive and not as much potential but the dude contributes to your fantasy team. McGahee reeled off 12 straight weeks of double digit fantasy points last year before having a couple duds late.

totally agree...just not a guy i'm going to spend a 2nd round draft pick on. i'm either taking a more consistent RB or a top WR and i'll find my #2 RB later on
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dgan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:33 pm

This is good to know...I pick late in the first and early in the second - I would have gladly spent my first round pick on MJD. I think I'm beginning to think he could slip to me in the second...unreal. I'll take him.

Of course, I took Maroney in the first round last year...so I am likely more bull-headed than intelligent. I'm sure the rest of you are right. :-b
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to Football Talk