Can somebody explain the PUP list? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Can somebody explain the PUP list?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Can somebody explain the PUP list?

Postby LegendoftheFall » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:16 pm

is this like the IR, or does it mean players have to sit out a certain amount of time, etc?

thanks.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Can somebody explain the PUP list?

Postby SirPimpin08 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:25 pm

PUP is the physically unable to perform list...

It is similiar to IR however teams have until the 6th week of the season to either activiate the player or place him on actual IR... however the player can be removed at anytime before the 6 weeks I believe....

and I was told preseason PUP just means the player cant practice.... and isnt as serious as the regular PUP
SirPimpin08
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bobbleheadrusty » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:08 am

SirPimpin08 wrote:PUP is the physically unable to perform list...

It is similiar to IR however teams have until the 6th week of the season to either activiate the player or place him on actual IR... however the player can be removed at anytime before the 6 weeks I believe....

and I was told preseason PUP just means the player cant practice.... and isnt as serious as the regular PUP

The preseason PUP is just a holding pattern for players. Some are players who wont be activated this season due to injury/off season surgery and will go on the IR before the season starts. Some are injured players who wont be available till mid season (Players on the PUP on opening day aren't available till after week 6 I believe, someone can correct me if Im wrong).

The last, and biggest group, are players who, due to lingering injury or offseason surgery aren't able to practice yet. Team Docs give every player a physical before they can start preseason practice and a player goes on the PUP until he passes. I means a team can't force an injured player to practice. It is also a roster dodge. A Vet who is almost healthy, or working through something minor, may be kept on the PUP list a little longer to allow a team a few extra camp spots.

Rules say that a team can only have 80 players on the opening camp roster, but PUPs don't count (and there are some other exceptions too, like foreign players).

A guy like Ed Reed is healthy enough to do walk throughs and is working out on his own, but the Ravens have him on the PUP so they can get a look at an extra young guy in camp. Since Reed won't gain anything but getting worn out running drills this early in the season it makes sense to let him fully recover while using an eventual camp casualty to run drills.

/that was really confusing, sorry... tired.
Bobbleheadrusty
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:18 am

thanks for the input!
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Football Talk