Lack of Weight Loss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Lack of Weight Loss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Lack of Weight Loss

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:55 am

Do any of you guys have any tips on losing weight or gaining muscle mass?

I'm currently 6'2 164 pounds and I'm looking to shed maybe ten pounds. More importantly I'm looking to gain 30 or so in muscle after that.

Anyways I can't seem to lose any weight. I've been eating healthy and exercising but I'm only gaining weight (muscle mass I assume, but I'm not working out. Only running.). I've cut out juice/pop/chips/fast food and I'm eating fruit/vegetables/whole grains and all that nasty crap. I've been doing it for about a month and have seen little results. It's getting relatively annoying.

Any pointers to speed this up? I feel like giving up because I've literally seen no change at all. Do I just need to go straight to working out?... :-° (I'm trying to delay it as long as possible as I have no idea what to do)

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask but I just need advice from some regular people. I don't want to ask at some body building site where I'll get responses that I need to buy whey protein and drink cabbage juice every morning.
Image
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2022
Joined: 6 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:46 am

dude, you don't need to lose weight, you're approximately 6 inches taller than me and we way the same...now I'm a bit chunky, don't get me wrong especially around the midsection but I'm by no means "Fat". But if you wanna build muscle mass...ask someone else, cause I don't have a clue. :-b
Image
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 9206
Joined: 29 Nov 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:40 am

I don't think you need to lose any weight. I've never heard of losing 10 pounds of fat, then replacing it with 30 pounds of muscle. They usually both happen about the same time. While building mass you'll lose the fat. Don't wait to lose the fat before you add the muscle. You're doing everything right Canucks. Eating healthy and staying active, however, isn't supposed to be a temporary thing. It's supposed to be a lifestyle. Don't overdo it with the foods. Find a balance and then stick to it. The running is good. That helps with everything your body needs as far as your heart, muscles, lungs, etc. go. If you want mass, which is terribly overrated if you ask me, you need to lift. Need protein. Nothing is overnight though. If you don't enjoy working out or it doesn't come naturally to you, then you probably need to find an activity that you enjoy, like racquetball or something, that works your core and your entire self as a whole so that you can get that workout. And it's important that it becomes a habit, not just a program.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:51 am

adding 30 pounds of muscle is something that could take a couple years of lifting 5-6 times a week to do, assuming you don't go the steroid or growth hormone route. Make sure you get plenty of protein both to build new muscle and to support the muscle you have to repair itself. Add muscle and the fat burning will largely take care of itself, since you'll be raising your basal metabolism.

It's pretty easy to injure yourself lifting weights, so you may want to consider a few sessions with a trainer to teach you how to use the equipment, stretch properly, etc. Probably also a good idea to start with machines like Nautilus instead of plunging in to free weights.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby treat24 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don't think you need to lose any weight. I've never heard of losing 10 pounds of fat, then replacing it with 30 pounds of muscle. They usually both happen about the same time. While building mass you'll lose the fat. Don't wait to lose the fat before you add the muscle. You're doing everything right Canucks. Eating healthy and staying active, however, isn't supposed to be a temporary thing. It's supposed to be a lifestyle. Don't overdo it with the foods. Find a balance and then stick to it. The running is good. That helps with everything your body needs as far as your heart, muscles, lungs, etc. go. If you want mass, which is terribly overrated if you ask me, you need to lift. Need protein. Nothing is overnight though. If you don't enjoy working out or it doesn't come naturally to you, then you probably need to find an activity that you enjoy, like racquetball or something, that works your core and your entire self as a whole so that you can get that workout. And it's important that it becomes a habit, not just a program.


At your height and weight CF, the fat will eventually come off... you are probably doing it fine, I'll toss a PM in your direction later. I just wanted to Quote ORS and reply to that quick.

That's actually exactly what I did. I'm just over 6'2" weighed in at 227. I dropped to 162 lbs from working out and eating right. I built back up into the high 180's and was at 5% body fat. This is when I was so strict that for 9 months I didn't so much as eat a single potato chip. no pizza. no beer. I punched in at 191 this morning, but when I was 186 and 5% I had a 6 pack, now... not so much. I like crap food to much and grilling and ... yeah... i've put on a few of the wrong lbs. Some people drop fat quicker then they build muscle. I'm a hard gainer, as I assume CF is/might be. It's very hard for me to gain muscle, it takes a lot of work. Dropping fat I do in my sleep (well, literally we all do)... but seriously... knocking fat off is easy. My cousin benches well over 400 but is very chubby. Builds muscle like a son of a gun but can't get fat off to save his life. People are just different.

Otherwise, I completely agree with a lot of ORS post. Make it a lifestyle change. Not only that, but don't be afraid to take a day off, take breaks during workouts, and CHEAT on that diet 1-2 times a week at least. It keeps you sane. Trust me... You are much less fun when you absolutely refuse to do things because of a said diet. I was a little scary when I was working out a lot. Then again I was on HGH for awhile too, so that might have caused a personality issue :-o :-D 8-o O:-) :-°

CF - how are you training? Your diet sounds fine, but are you dropping 200-400 calories every 2-3 hours. Tipping 6-8 meals a day? Maybe I'll just jump to PM to find out more and discuss.

I'm sure Deluxe will have a bunch of fun to add to this.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby treat24 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:59 am

scottaa1 wrote:adding 30 pounds of muscle is something that could take a couple years of lifting 5-6 times a week to do, assuming you don't go the steroid or growth hormone route. Make sure you get plenty of protein both to build new muscle and to support the muscle you have to repair itself. Add muscle and the fat burning will largely take care of itself, since you'll be raising your basal metabolism.

It's pretty easy to injure yourself lifting weights, so you may want to consider a few sessions with a trainer to teach you how to use the equipment, stretch properly, etc. Probably also a good idea to start with machines like Nautilus instead of plunging in to free weights.


Definitely. 30 lbs is a lot. I don't know about years (depending on how hard you go at it), but adding a few lbs a month is more likely.

BTW, I hate machines... 99% free weights for this cat... couldn't gain crap on machines. They are for aging people, and people trying to hit a certain target area. :-)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby treat24 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:06 am

3 posts in a row... by the way, steroids and HGH... I advise against it. My buddy got several cysts and eventually had to have brain surgery and his head drained because of steroids. I never did them. I have a few "unnoticeable to others... but I can feel them..." cysts from HGH. You could work out a ton... later that day, the next day... etc... almost no soreness. It was wonderful for recovery and pump... but don't go that route... I don't know the longterm, but I know there are bumps under my skin that definitely weren't there before. They are either from the HGH or CIA microchips... maybe an alien probe :-o
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:51 pm

treat24 wrote:3 posts in a row... by the way, steroids and HGH... I advise against it. My buddy got several cysts and eventually had to have brain surgery and his head drained because of steroids. I never did them. I have a few "unnoticeable to others... but I can feel them..." cysts from HGH. You could work out a ton... later that day, the next day... etc... almost no soreness. It was wonderful for recovery and pump... but don't go that route... I don't know the longterm, but I know there are bumps under my skin that definitely weren't there before. They are either from the HGH or CIA microchips... maybe an alien probe :-o


Not going on steroids/HGH. I feel like keeping my testicles at the proportions they already are.

30 pounds was just the ULTIMATE goal. I'm really aiming for 15ish but I know that'll take a long time as well.

Like I said before, I'm not doing any weight training yet. I was hoping to drop the weight then start. I run 4k a night (I've messed up my hip, so I'm taking a few days off) which I know realize is too much. I was doing it 7 days a week.
Image
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2022
Joined: 6 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I don't think you need to lose any weight. I've never heard of losing 10 pounds of fat, then replacing it with 30 pounds of muscle. They usually both happen about the same time. While building mass you'll lose the fat. Don't wait to lose the fat before you add the muscle. You're doing everything right Canucks. Eating healthy and staying active, however, isn't supposed to be a temporary thing. It's supposed to be a lifestyle. Don't overdo it with the foods. Find a balance and then stick to it. The running is good. That helps with everything your body needs as far as your heart, muscles, lungs, etc. go. If you want mass, which is terribly overrated if you ask me, you need to lift. Need protein. Nothing is overnight though. If you don't enjoy working out or it doesn't come naturally to you, then you probably need to find an activity that you enjoy, like racquetball or something, that works your core and your entire self as a whole so that you can get that workout. And it's important that it becomes a habit, not just a program.


I already play quite a few sports. I can eat as much crap as I want and I'll stay at 165 or so, I just can't drop below it. That's why I'm getting so annoyed.

I've changed my lifestyle in terms of food and exercise but I'm seeing no change at all.
Image
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

User avatar

Posts: 2022
Joined: 6 Oct 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Too much cardio, need the weight training, lot's of protein and almost 0 carbs.

The diet sucks, good luck with that.
Image
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3527
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:12 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact