Lack of Weight Loss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Lack of Weight Loss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:16 pm

Some radio commercial that's been spamming sports radio the past few months tells me that the average person carries around 20lbs of was material in their body. If you take their pill, your body sheds that waste and your butt gets sexy looking or something. Maybe you should try that. That commercial makes me laugh though because the way they describe the supplement, it sounds like an enema, fat burner, and a appetite suppressant all in one. Don't know how a pill tones your body, but apparently this one does, lol.
:-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:22 pm

Lift weights. Lots. Gaining 30 pounds of muscle will take work.

Increased muscle mass increases your metabolism which should take care of the problem areas... such that there are at 6'2" and 164 lbs. ;-7 :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:49 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:Lift weights. Lots. Gaining 30 pounds of muscle will take work.

Increased muscle mass increases your metabolism which should take care of the problem areas... such that there are at 6'2" and 164 lbs. ;-7 :-b

Yeah, that's pretty skinny for your height as already mentioned. Bear in mind, you're going to have to (guessing on your height/slimness) probably eat a lot more than you're used to to actually build muscle. And, some builds just don't pack on muscle very well. But any body will respond to weight training. The taller you are, the less it wil show up, since you're building longer muscles. That's why stocky guys can get built so much faster; the muscles are shorter, so they stack up quicker.

i"d still recommend starting with machines to get yourself going. At first you'll be doing (if I remember correctly) 'neuro-muscular' development, which means you should see some fairly rapid gains in what you're able to lift. That's somewhat new muscle, but largely it's training everything 'up to speed.' To attempt to illustrate, let's look at bicep curls. Say, you start at curling 15 pounds each arm individually (mixing in other lifts so as not to train your body to respond to a certain thing - you gotta keep changing up your workout), that's the your body building up the tendons in your elbow, for example, to accomidate what your bicep can do. Once that is equaled out, you're in the groove and can really start to hit free weights, which will provide much better returns from your workouts.

Then you'll start to notice your arms fill your sleeves more. Don't just work out the 'show' muscle groups (biceps, chest, etc.). Balance it. For every bicep session you have, work your triceps (tri's will really sculpt your arms/delts, by the way). Also, be aware that weightlifting will stimulate testosterone production so you may sometimes feel like a bull in rut, even without steroids.

Lifting can make ya feel really good, both physically and mentally. Plus weightlifting is also a cardio workout in and of itself. Actually, I've read that doing endurance training shouldn't be crisscrossed with mass building. I enjoyed spending 40 minutes or so lifting (don't weight train more than a few muscle groups a day so you'll have other groups to train the next day), and then swimming. It was a good way to cool down after a workout and also get some low-impact cardio in.

^ all that said, I"m saying things that worked for me personally. I'm not certified to give advice on any formal basis. I've just spent time in the gym. You'll learn what your body responds to well, and what it doesn't, and you'll learn along the way and be able to tailor yourself a workout custom to you.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:42 pm

I'll give you two great sites with tons of free information:

T-Nation.com
&
Precisionutrition.com or johnberardi.com

At the T-Nation.com site read anything written by Dr. John Berardi. Plenty of free information in regards to nutrition plans and workout routines.

Like some others have mention your body weight does seem low right now. Do you know what your body fat % is? If you are under 10%, I wouldn't worry about dropping anymore body fat.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:21 pm

I don't think you need to lose anything. I'm 6'3" 200 and can stand to lost about 15 lbs so I'm not rediculously skinny.

Muscle weighs more than fat so while you are lifting you are replacing fat with higher weight muscle. Thats why you are not losing anything. Keep eating right and lifting and eventually you will build your weight up.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby sportsaddict » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 am

My god! 30 pounds of muscle! That's a lot to be aiming for.

I wouldn't concentrate so much on the weight. That will come. Sounds like you just want to get stronger and not be really skinny anymore. You definitely don't have to lose weight, you actually sound like you are underweight.

You definitely need to get in the weight room, and you definitely need to start eating a lot. It's great to run too and don't give that up, but you need to start pumping iron my friend!

The key in the weight room is to push yourself to the limit. Don't just go in there, do a few machines, look at yourself in the mirror, and leave having accomplished nothing. Do the core lifts- squats, bench press, dead lifts, flies, etc, and the secondary lifts- shoulders, triceps, back, biceps, etc. and make sure you do abs. Get someone to spot you and get negative reps when you can't go anymore. If possible, try to get in the weight room 3 or 4 times a week. If that's not possible for you at least aim for 2 days a week, and focus on different parts of your body on separate days.

When you are done working out, you should be drained. When you work out your legs your legs should feel like jello. When you work out your chest your chest should be sore when you move your arms. When you push yourself like that, you will see results.

This is important though: do not go to the weight room without knowing what the hell you're doing! If you have never worked out before, don't sweat it. Have someone who is pretty knowledgeable about weight lifting take you to the weight room to show you what to do. This could be a trainer, or it could just be a friend or family member that is pretty knowledgeable. Make sure you know what you're doing or you could get hurt.

And, I think this goes without saying: stay away from the steroids and HGH under all circumstances. Stay away from things like creatine too, especially if you are under 18.

As far as the eating goes, just eat a lot of protein. Peanut butter is a great source of protein and is often overlooked. Eat the junk food in moderation and you'll keep the body fat off while gaining muscle.

Hope this helped.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

-Joe Theismann (pronounced theese-MAN, not rhyming with Heisman)
sportsaddict
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:52 pm

Drink plenty of beer, but not the light variety.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:57 pm

sportsaddict wrote: When you work out your legs your legs should feel like jello.

haha, yeah, being wobbly walking down the stairs to the parking lot afterwards, and hardly being able to push in the clutch on my car :-b great feeling.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Guru13 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:04 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
sportsaddict wrote: When you work out your legs your legs should feel like jello.

haha, yeah, being wobbly walking down the stairs to the parking lot afterwards, and hardly being able to push in the clutch on my car :-b great feeling.

anybody see "Run Fat Boy, Run!", great scene in that movie. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 8)

Postby RiffRaff » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:07 pm

Jimboozie wrote:Drink plenty of beer, but not the light variety.

And Boozie makes an appearance. I'm thirsty now, time to gain some weight. :-) ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk