Lack of Weight Loss - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Lack of Weight Loss

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Lack of Weight Loss

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:15 pm

You're pretty light for your height. I wouldn't worry so much about losing weight. THat's probably why you haven't been able to lose any, becuase you're already underweight for how tall you are, and your body's rejecting the idea of losing even MORE.

As far as putting muscle on, you need to implement alot of protein into your diet. They make mass gainer shakes that can give you as much as 50 grams of protein in one shake. ANother thing is, you need to eat MORE not LESS, but you need to make sure you're eating the right kinds of things. Again, alot of protein is what you need. Eat steak, eat chicken, eat tuna, eat eggs, eat anything with protein in it, but try to stay away from too many carbs, fat, sweets, etc.

You can definitely do more research online, but if I were you I'd aim for eating 3,000 to 4,000 calories a day (depends on how fast you want to add weight. 3000 a day will be a little slower but it'll be a cleaner weight gain with less fat than 4,000 a day) but you need a bare minimum of 200g of protein a day, but 250-270 would be even better. The hard part here is going to be the balancing act. You'd be surprised at how hard it is to actually consume that many calories in a day without eating junk food. Again, eat foods high in protein. If you feel like eating sweets or something, just think about how those calories would be better spent eating something with more protein.

And of course it's important to start lifting weights. My suggestion would be fewer reps with more weight. For example, make the weight heavy enough that you can do at least 6 reps but not more than 8 or 9. If you're getting sufficient protein, you will be amazed at how fast you can get strong. When you do start lifting weights, don't do it every day. Work each muscle group every 5-7 days. So if you work your chest on Monday, don't work your chest out again until Friday at the earliest. When you break those muscles down you need to give them time to heal up. The healing process is where you actually build more muscle because the muscle grows back bigger/stronger. If you're lifting every day, you're only breaking your muscles down again and again and not giving them adequate time to recover and thus get bigger/stronger.

My regimen used to look something like this...

Monday
Chest/Triceps/Shoulders

Tuesday
Cardio

Wednesday
Quads/calves/lower back

Thursday
Abs

Friday
Traps/Biceps/Upper Back

Saturday
cardio or rest

Sunday
rest

hope this helps. I'm by no means an expert but I like to think I know what I'm talking about to some extent. Johnstonefitness.com is a good place to get more info, or you can PM me.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:25 pm

Treat had mentioned about eating 300-400 cals several times throughout the day. That is the best way to eat for all of us. Something about keeping your glycemic index at constant levels. Gives body optimum working conditions. As for losing wieght and gaining muscle a few questions that you don't have to answer, but should consider.
How old are you? If you are past 30 it will be much harder for you to add muscle mass. Can be done, just need to work harder at it and comes slower.
What body type are you? Is your family genes leading toward you thin frame? It may be that you will not be able to sustain much in the way of muscle mass. There is something to do about a certain thin body type not having the skeletal framework to support much muscle mass. Uncommon, but possible in your case.
Why do you run? Is it the love of it? for track? Cariovascular concerns? If you can find a way to include a weight lifting regimen in before your running you can add muslce and burn the crap out of fat. 20 or more minutes weight lifting followed by the same in aerobic workout burns the muscles lactice acid reserves and forces the body to burn fat. Running is great, but remember if you do add 30 lbs it will stress out your knees and ankles more and may shorten your running career.
If you do decide to go on a weight lifting regimen, throw your scale into a closet for a while. When you first start lifting it is not unusual to lose weight initially as your muscles break down. Don't focus on your weight for a while, focus on increasing your strength. Once you can see a notable change in your body and start lifting more weight it should be okay to jump on the scale. Just a few thoughts for whatever they're worth. Good luck.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby onnestabe » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm 6-1, about 250 (was 270 a couple months ago, so I'm moving the right direction), so I don't quite have the same problem you do, but I have done quite a bit of reading on how to eat and how to work out. My best resource has been menshealth.com. It's not for serious bodybuilders, which is seemingly where you want to go, but it has lots of good information about working out and eating right. If you are trying to pack on muscle, you should be eating more than what they recommend for the most part, but the ideas about what to eat will hold true.

Also, they have a plan out called the Abs Diet. The marketing behind it is that you will be able to see your abs if you follow it or some such nonsense, but that's not what I get out of it. If gives great information about how we should be eating, and why so many of the diet foods out there are bad. Reading the book really taught me how to truly eat the right way. Some of the information in the book is also on their website.

All that being said, I don't understand why you want to lose weight before you start gaining weight. Generally, when people are trying to add muscle mass, they put on some fat as well. It's only after they've added the muscle that they cut back down to get ripped. Also, if you are just jogging at the same speed for a long time as your cardio, you are doing your cardio wrong based on your stated goals. When you have a cardio session, you should be doing interval training (do a search on 'HIIT' to learn more). When you jog (or bike or whatever) for a long time at a steady pace, you may be burning a lot of calories, but the body burns an equal amount of muscle and fat, so you end up being "skinny-fat" as some people call it (where you weigh less, but you are still a little flabby). Interval training has been shown to do a better job of burning fat, and doesn't burn off your muscle mass.

As far as the weight training, I would suggest you get in the gym 3-4 times a week to lift. Primarily use free weights over machines, unless you are trying to bust through a plateau. Don't make the mistake of ignoring your legs. When you lift weights, your muscles release hormones that promote muscle growth over the entire body. Your leg muscles are the biggest muscles in your body, so when you work them hard, they produce lots of those hormones, and that will help you put on muscle all over your body. Lift heavy weights and lift them as many times as you can with proper form (if your form breaks down, you open yourself up to injury, which will set you back a lot farther than taking 10 lbs off the bar will).

My best advice is to make sure you educate yourself on nutrition and fitness concepts. There is tons of free information out there on the web (lots of misinformation, too, so be careful), and books are cheap.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:34 pm

You got me Onnestabe I am the "skinny-fat" type. I'm not fat, but I still have a layer of flab that I REALLY want to get rid of.

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't expecting this many responses. I've read all your opinions and I'm currently trying to figure out a regime that I'll actually stick to.

Like I said, I really appreciate all the help!
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kaveman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:15 pm

I don't want to ask at some body building site where I'll get responses that I need to buy whey protein and drink cabbage juice every morning.

This made me laugh. I'm going to go to a bodybuilding site to ask for advice about my fantasy football draft. Here people keep saying that Peyton isn't a first rounder and I should wait until the last round to draft a kicker. :-B

But seriously, I agree with a lot that's been written. You need to put on muscle first. Educate yourself. Make sure you use proper form. Stay away from the machines. If you want to build muscle you need to eat a lot (make sure you consume a lot of protein (at least 1g/lb of bodyweight), and you need to lift heavy. And yes, you should probably supplement with some protein powder for the sake of convenience.

Here's a very good program for a beginner: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ#Three_Flavors_of_Starting_Strength
Follow a program like this and maintain a clean diet with lots of protein and you'll see results pretty quickly. ;-D
kaveman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Graphics ExpertPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:20 pm

kaveman wrote:
I don't want to ask at some body building site where I'll get responses that I need to buy whey protein and drink cabbage juice every morning.

This made me laugh. I'm going to go to a bodybuilding site to ask for advice about my fantasy football draft. Here people keep saying that Peyton isn't a first rounder and I should wait until the last round to draft a kicker. :-B

I was just trying to get across that I didn't want "serious advice" because I don't want a truly "serious" regime. I figured that I would get more helpful responses here, which I have.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby kaveman » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:59 pm

Hope I didn't offend. Honestly didn't mean to. But if you want to pack on 30 pounds of muscle, you're going to have to take it very seriously. It takes a lot of dedication, as well as knowledge, for naturally skinny guys to put on that much muscle.
kaveman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Graphics ExpertPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:07 am

kaveman wrote:Hope I didn't offend. Honestly didn't mean to. But if you want to pack on 30 pounds of muscle, you're going to have to take it very seriously. It takes a lot of dedication, as well as knowledge, for naturally skinny guys to put on that much muscle.

Yeah, I've realized that with my research. :-b Not offended at all by the way, the input is appreciated. ;-D
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:28 am

The 7 Rules of Good Nutrition

Here’s my take on it. I call these principles, "The 7 Rules of Good Nutrition."

These aren’t the newest techniques from the latest cutting-edge plan. Rather, they are simple, time-tested, no nonsense habits that you need to get into when designing a good eating program.

1. Eat every 2-3 hours, no matter what. You should eat between 5-8 meals per day.

2. Eat complete (containing all the essential amino acids), lean protein with each meal.

3. Eat fruits and/or vegetables with each food meal.

4. Ensure that your carbohydrate intake comes from fruits and vegetables. Exception: workout and post-workout drinks and meals.

5. Ensure that 25-35% of your energy intake comes from fat, with your fat intake split equally between saturates (e.g. animal fat), monounsaturates (e.g., olive oil), and polyunsaturates (e.g. flax oil, salmon oil).

6. Drink only non-calorie containing beverages, the best choices being water and green tea.

7. Eat mostly whole foods (except workout and post-workout drinks).
So what about calories, or macronutrient ratios, or any number of other things that I’ve covered in other articles? The short answer is that if you aren’t already practicing the above-mentioned habits, and by practicing them I mean putting them to use over 90% of the time (i.e., no more than 4 meals out of an average 42 meals per week violate any of those rules), everything else is pretty pointless.

Here's the link to the rest of the article if you are interested: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to General Talk