Will the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New England Patriots

Will the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Will the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year?

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:52 am

Let's have a good discussion about how the Patriots will do this year. I'll begin:

Yes.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Will the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year?

Postby Rizzo » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:25 pm

I'm not sure I could pick a team to win the Super Bowl over the Patriots. They return just about all of their starters from the offensive side of the ball, but do lose some defensive players. The thing is, Belichick's defensive schemes usually allows for less talented DBs to flourish within the system, so hopefully players like Terence Wheatley and Tank Williams can step in right away and contribute.
Rizzo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:41 pm

I think they definitely can, but will they? Who knows. I would have said they would last year, but like you saw, things don't always go like that.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Rizzo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:07 pm

This team has looked horrendous all pre-season. Granted the offense isn't anywhere near as effective as it would be with Brady behind center, but the defense has looked hopeless and that's with all the major pieces playing. Add on top of that to the horrendous special teams play and this has the makings for a few disappointing performances from this team. Hope it doesn't happen, but it seems inevitable at this time.
Rizzo
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Rizzo wrote:This team has looked horrendous all pre-season. Granted the offense isn't anywhere near as effective as it would be with Brady behind center, but the defense has looked hopeless and that's with all the major pieces playing. Add on top of that to the horrendous special teams play and this has the makings for a few disappointing performances from this team. Hope it doesn't happen, but it seems inevitable at this time.

A couple things:

1) Taking the best player in the NFL out of an offense is going to kill its effectiveness.

2) Even with a few disappointing performances, as long as they don't come in the playoffs, they can still win the Superbowl. For example, the Giants had quite a few disappointing performances last year.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:07 am

Well if Brady goes down with a serious injury then we are f*****, but that's because he is the best in the biz. The Colts are the same with Peyton.

As far as our defense, I was a little worried during the preseason but again, it's preseason. Our front guys should be fine, our pass coverage may turn out to be suspect but of all the coaches who can pull off a smoke-and-mirrors show, BB is one of the best ones to have.

The schedule is a blessing, a 12-4 or even 11-5 campaign should be good enough to win the division....and remember we aren't the only ones in the AFC with question marks. SD has Merriman, Gates and LT who could end up with serious injuries, Colts have Peyton, Harrison and Saturday, Steelers have seemed to decline a bit (not to mention that division will be a bloodbath), Jaguars are up and coming but may not be ready to hang with the big boys. Last year was also uncharacteristic in another way: Pats usually started off a bit slow and picked up steam as the season went on, last year we started strong and started losing it in the end.

I still think we have the best chance of all the teams, and that doesn't mean a guaranteed win. IMO it's like we can have a 20% chance, Chargers have 15% chance, Colts have 10% chance, Cowboys have 15% chance, Vikings have a 10%...the numbers don't have to be exact but you catch my drift? A bunch of teams have a chance to win and I think we have a better shot than most if not all of the teams.

JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:50 pm

Well, assuming Brady does in fact have a torn ACL, the answer to this question becomes a definitive no. Damn...

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:27 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Well, assuming Brady does in fact have a torn ACL, the answer to this question becomes a definitive no. Damn...

All we need to do is donate a shiny new spleen to Chris Simms...or maybe some nice fountain-of-youth juice to Culpepper...or...or.... :~(

JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to New England Patriots