Return to Football Talk

Seattle RB's

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seattle RB's

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:43 pm

RBBC???

Monday, July 28, 2008 - Page updated at 12:00 AM
Seahawks double up in the backfield with Julius Jones and Maurice Morris
Backs Jones and Morris will split duties, which should help keep them in top running shape.
By Danny O'Neil
Seattle Times staff reporter

KIRKLAND — When Julius Jones came to Seattle, the assumption was that the Seahawks signed him to be Shaun Alexander's successor.

Well, that was half-right.

Coach Mike Holmgren considers Jones a starter at halfback. It's just that he's not the only one. Holmgren says Maurice Morris is in that same category.

"I'm looking at it right now as if we have two starters at that position," Holmgren said.

Running backs aren't like a religion. You can have more than one, and that's just what Holmgren said he plans to do, following the lead of teams all over the league who are spreading their backfield's workload.

con't...

rest of article: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/s ... awk28.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Seattle RB's

Postby DemonDeacon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:50 pm

It'll definantly be a RBBC in Seattle between Momo and JJ with the TJ Ducket show inside the 5. Im not sure how Seattles going to perform this year with there backs. Neither JJ or Momo and between the tackle runners which is really what were going to need.
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm looking through the smoke and seeing Jones coming out on top in the battle to be featured in Seattle, and Duckett a resounding loser.

Maurice Morris is and always will be a backup in Seattle. Sure he will get on the field occassionally, all teams do that. But will he be on the field enough to make an impact? Most definitely not. And I think Julius Jones will be on the field enough to do that. People are writing this guy off way too soon, I strongly believe the scheme is what set him back in Dallas. Just think back to when this guy was going top10 in the draft after his rookie year, think back to how you saw him then. Seattle could bring that guy back mighty fast after you see him get 15 carries in preseason game 3.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Cool Hand » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:48 am

Initially this seemed like the perfect time for JJ to become a feature back and live up to longtime expectations in spite of the O-line...never been much of a fan of MM. Disappointing news...
Cool Hand
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:02 pm

I think Duckett could be effective between the tackles if given the chance. He looked real strong toward the end of last season. Were it not the Lions I would have been stunned that he was not resigned. But the Lions are a silly bunch.
Not impressed with MM. Again, could be taint from my Lions association with MM in D and his facination with coaches starting with M. But MM didn't look like he had the goods to be an every play RB. Julie should be able to beat him out but he has never shown the love for tough inside running. What a mess. Hope it clears up soon.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby pangbones » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:20 pm

I like Julius Jones this year. He didn't get much of a chance to do anything once the Cowboys got Barber. When Jones was getting all the carries he was very productive. I think Jones wins the job and gets the bulk of the carries this year. Whether he gets the goal line carries or not is anther story.
pangbones
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:40 pm

pangbones wrote:I like Julius Jones this year. He didn't get much of a chance to do anything once the Cowboys got Barber. When Jones was getting all the carries he was very productive. I think Jones wins the job and gets the bulk of the carries this year. Whether he gets the goal line carries or not is anther story.

I've read at least once that the plan in Seattle is to have both JJ and MM split carries only until JJ becomes more familiar with the offense. Maurice Morris has had opportunities to shine and has basically failed to do so as a starter.

I've already read that T.J. Duckett has been asked to learn the fullback position so I'm not sure who exactly is going to be taking the goal line carries. Maybe he still does, but we have three big guys who have all shown toughness in short yardage situations with Duckett, Leonard Weaver and my new favorite Owen Schmitt (at the collegiate level he was only tackled for a loss four times in 353 carries).
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:49 pm

I see there being a split. Maybe 60-40 in Jones favor.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby biju » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:00 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I see there being a split. Maybe 60-40 in Jones favor.

I'm 99% positive the idea is correct, at least for the first half of the season. (The split might be even closer to 50/50 in the first couple of games). But it's things like this (quoted below) that makes me think the coaching staff are more interested in Julius Jones getting a large portion of carries:

Despite some of their difficulties during training camp, [Offensive Coordinator Gil] Haskell said he liked what he saw from the running game on Wednesday, when Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett consistently punched the ball inside and gained some yards.

Haskell said he especially likes Jones, who along with Maurice Morris will get the bulk of the carries, according to Holmgren.

“He is different. Special,” Haskell said. “He can see. He can flat see. Everybody can see, but he doesn’t make mistakes. When I am standing back there (behind the offense) and see (the play develop), he sees the same thing and he is gone.”

Taken from mid-way down this article
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk