Bench Players? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Bench Players?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bench Players?

Postby Lickitysplit131 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:42 pm

How many bench players do you have in your league?

We had 8 last year and it was way too many. I was thinking either 5 or 6(leaning towards 6)

Our starters are..
1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 WR/RB
1 TE
1 K
1 DEF

With 8 bench players the free agent pool was horribly horribly depleted last year. Thinking about it now, I might be leaning to 5 bench players now...What does everyone else do in there league, and is your free agent pool horribly depleted?

Thanks in advance.
The Fantasy King!
Lickitysplit131
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bench Players?

Postby beanoX3 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:28 pm

Kind of depends on how many managers there are in your league. Smaller leagues can have bigger benches and be just fine. It's not like you're ever going to start, say Bobby Wade if you're in a 10-man league starting 2-3 WRs.

I was in a 14-man league last year that had 7 bench spots. Standard QB/2RB/3WR/TE lineup. That was scraping the bottom of the free agent pool. :-P :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:40 pm

My rule as a commish is to have exactly enough bench spots available so if someone were to want to draft his team and never make a add/drop/trade he would be able to fill out his lineup each week. This, of course, assumes the owner actually drafts with bye weeks in mind. I also tend to charge per add/drop which is why I have this as a personal rule.

In almost all cases this is a minimum of 6 bench spots. Having more is great in leagues where the total teams are low or the knowledge is high. It's tough if you have more than 12 teams though, since injury can quickly eliminate a team from being competitive if they have to start a #3 WR.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby spodog » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:55 pm

decent rule of thumb in 12 man league = 1 bench spot for each starting spot.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:46 pm

I like to have larger benches just so ya have some pondscum available to drop when ya need to grab a TE or Def in their bye week but don't wanna dump who ya have - with a small bench ya always end up dumping someone ya don't wanna!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:04 pm

Lickitysplit131 wrote:With 8 bench players the free agent pool was horribly horribly depleted last year.

Actually, I would like that. Makes the owners try and work out a trade to get better rather than take a guy from FA and plop him right into his starting line-up.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby iamgregg » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:42 pm

dream_017 wrote:
Lickitysplit131 wrote:With 8 bench players the free agent pool was horribly horribly depleted last year.

Actually, I would like that. Makes the owners try and work out a trade to get better rather than take a guy from FA and plop him right into his starting line-up.

It's generally the point of having deep benches... To limit the FA pool. Usually it's done for dynasty leagues to mirror the NFL in the way that pretty much everyone half-way playable is on a roster. Promotes trading and places a bigger emphasis on long term roster strategy.

All down to personal preference really, though.
iamgregg
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dgan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:22 pm

We have 16 bench spots in a 10 team league, and I MUCH prefer it that way. It not only promotes trading but also rewards those who draft well outside the first couple rounds. In some leagues, people get their first few starting slots filled and then cash it in knowing they can repair a bad bench with the waiver wire as the season moves on. It almost rewards people who draft poorly, start out with a bad record, and slide to the top of the waiver order.

Now, for most, 20 round drafts with room for 5 additional FA pickups is bit extreme - but as a general rule, I would prefer deeper benches. Either that or really short benches so that there are players available on waivers for everyone.

Just a personal preference.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:10 am

dream_017 wrote:

Bingo - horribly depleted is what you are looking for to keep people truly invested in a good draft with smart team management and player decisions. If you are worried about the fairness of things, I would make your league a ppr (if it isn't already), instead of messing with bench spots, etc...

Hope this helps
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner