best way to run an 18 team Fantasy football league?? thanks - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Beginner's Forum

best way to run an 18 team Fantasy football league?? thanks

Moderator: Football Moderators

best way to run an 18 team Fantasy football league?? thanks

Postby Van » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:01 pm

Running a league in my fire house. have 18 guys signed up. some guys are saying it is to many guys, i would like to keep it one league and get all 18 guys in. any help one this topic would be great, best way to run it? Best Fantasy football site to run a league, Yahoo, cbs, nfl espn??? or any others?

Thank you.
Van
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: best way to run an 18 team Fantasy football league?? thanks

Postby utstick » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 pm

If you guys are willing to toss in 75 bucks for a site, MyFantasyLeague is by far the best site out there, especially with the amount of options that are out there when setting things up. You can set it up for a few weeks and play with it before the season starts.
utstick
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jwhands » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:35 pm

I would say for football, CBS is the best way to go for a large team league. 18 teams will be difficult though, since someone will wind up getting hurt with the 2 RB setup. For an 18 team league, you might want to look into setting things up with 1 RB, 2 WR, and then a RB/WR spot. You may also want to take a look at using receptions for points, so that it will balance out the difference between RB's and WR's. Good luck with your league!
Pride of the Ditka Bus. Weekly rankings http://www.stinkytee.com
jwhands
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Egg2828 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:40 pm

I would not do it =) thats gonna suck.
Money $hot
Egg2828
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 36)

Postby TheMaizeAndBlue » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:19 pm

I've heard this suggested before, I've never personally done it so I can't couch for how well it works, but the idea is to split your league into 2 conferences, so 9 and 9, u'd probably have to have a bye week or something, or maybe 1 team from each conference plays an out of conference game each week? Anyhow, the point is, each conference gets the whole player pool, so yes, 1 week you may have to play a guy who has almost exactly your team, you have a playoff in each conference, and the winners advance to a fantasy superbowl. Would last year's superbowl possible have been Tom Brady and AD vs. Tom Brady vs. AD? possibly, but then it's up to who built the greatest depth to go along with their studs, not a bad thing. Just my two cents.
TheMaizeAndBlue
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby spodog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:03 pm

We ran an 18 team league last year on http://www.myfantasyleague.com. Just as stated above, we set it up as 2 different conferences of 9 teams apiece. Each conference drafted from their own player pool, so no one ended up with John Beck as their starting QB.

We DID play inter-conference games, so there were no teams that had to have BYE weeks. The issue of two players going against each other was something people worried about at first, but it ended up being no big deal. The 2 teams in the superbowl had no overlapping players.

We set the league up like this:

Conference 1 - Divsion A: 5 Teams
Conference 1 - Divsion B: 4 Teams
Conference 2 - Divsion A: 5 Teams
Conference 2 - Divsion B: 4 Teams

3 teams from each conference made the playoffs, with highest seeded team in each conference getting a 1st round playoff BYE.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Beginner's Forum