Torn ACL Recovery - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Torn ACL Recovery

Moderator: Football Moderators

Torn ACL Recovery

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:18 pm

I hurt my knee while playing football with a bunch of my buddies from college on May 24, or a little over two months ago. After learning that it was a torn ACL I opted to have surgery as soon as possible. I ended up having the operation about 4 weeks later, on June 17, I chose to have the hamstring graft.

It's been almost 6 weeks since the surgery, and I have full extension and full flextion (bend) back in my knee and I've started biking (around 5-6 miles) and some light jogging (usually no more than a mile without stopping).

To anyone who has had this surgery I'm wondering how I'm doing. Am I ahead or behind at this point? I'm 20 years old - which I assume would help speed the recovery process - and my PT seems to be pleased with my progress, but I almost feel like I should be doing more.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or suggestions on things I should be doing differently? Has anyone gone through this before?

Any comments would be helpful.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Torn ACL Recovery

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:45 pm

I would listen to your PT and takes things slowly. It's usually a pretty long recovery and you don't want to go overboard in the beginning and reinjure yourself.

Good Luck!
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:05 pm

Easy TIGER!
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mikus » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:19 pm

Definitely listen to your PT and doctors very carefully. They know best!
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby RiffRaff » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:22 pm

Sounds like you are doing way too much way too soon. :-o
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:28 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:I hurt my knee while playing football with a bunch of my buddies from college on May 24, or a little over two months ago. After learning that it was a torn ACL I opted to have surgery as soon as possible. I ended up having the operation about 4 weeks later, on June 17, I chose to have the hamstring graft.

It's been almost 6 weeks since the surgery, and I have full extension and full flextion (bend) back in my knee and I've started biking (around 5-6 miles) and some light jogging (usually no more than a mile without stopping).

To anyone who has had this surgery I'm wondering how I'm doing. Am I ahead or behind at this point? I'm 20 years old - which I assume would help speed the recovery process - and my PT seems to be pleased with my progress, but I almost feel like I should be doing more.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Or suggestions on things I should be doing differently? Has anyone gone through this before?

Any comments would be helpful.

I suffered this same injury 2 years ago (I was 23 - basketball injury) and I really, truly feel your pain !+) So, did you completely tear the ACL? Any meniscus damage?

Having the surgery asap and getting the hamstring graft was the route I chose as well, because I liked the long-term implications the best (since I almost threw up when they suggested using cadaver parts, and I wasn't about to let them use my patellar tendon and not be able to kneel down again - fast recovery or not). I am young and in very good shape/am a quick healer, so my recovery time was off the charts compared to most, and your time tables seem WAY too advanced for my liking.

First of all, you should listen to EVERYONE telling you to slow down and listen to your PTs/surgeon! I live in an area where my PT is part of what is known as the Functional Rehab Network of PTs, which is fairly new and cutting edge stuff - they deal mainly with younger people who are either injured or just need help getting stronger, etc to avoid future injuries by using more functional rehab techniques. They are often pushing the envelope of generally accepted rehab times, and I think they would be sick to their stomachs to hear of someone running after 6 weeks, muchless biking 5-6 miles (unless its REALLY low intensity). I was instructed not to run for at LEAST 12 weeks, and when I started doing that, it was under observation on a treadmill (The eliptical machines would be a much better way to supplant your biking if you get bored, because of less impact and a controlled range of motion).

5-6 weeks is a good point for looking to regain almost full extension and flexion, though I'm guessing you aren't truly all the way back to where you were pre-injury. Are you completely full weight-bearing on the bad knee leg at this point? How many times per week are you going to PT? You should be going 2-3 times a week, which is honestly about all the workout you need in the first trimester of recovery. I can't imagine that you are able to bear your weight or cut/turn/rotate normally at this point, which are all signs that your body isn't ready for the activity level you are putting it through. Also, at this point your muscle mass in your calf and quad are going to be sub-par compared to the others, which will make you favor the leg and cheat by over-using/over-stressing your "good" leg.

The road to recovery is long, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to "redshirt" yourself from contact sports for a whole year, and even wait 6-9 months on activities like golf, etc. I had the luxury of being out of college when it happened to me and was in no hurry to get back for a HS/collegiate sport, which no doubt helped, but just don't forget that this is the only knee you get and that you NEVER want to go through with this surgery again. If you reinjure yourself by pushing too hard at first, the success rate of further surgeries plummets exponentially. I completely understand the compulsion to get back on the horse asap, you have to trust your doctors and the advice around here - slow down and play it safe for the first 180 days - you have that knee for the next 50-80 years, and with arthritis a very real thing on the horizon already, don't add to the list...please? :-o ;-)

Hope this helps man ;-D

Michael
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:51 am

Some of these guys have had ACL surgery ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:00 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:I suffered this same injury 2 years ago (I was 23 - basketball injury) and I really, truly feel your pain !+) So, did you completely tear the ACL? Any meniscus damage?

It was a complete tear but luckily there was no meniscus damage.

WaCougMBS wrote:Having the surgery asap and getting the hamstring graft was the route I chose as well, because I liked the long-term implications the best (since I almost threw up when they suggested using cadaver parts, and I wasn't about to let them use my patellar tendon and not be able to kneel down again - fast recovery or not). I am young and in very good shape/am a quick healer, so my recovery time was off the charts compared to most, and your time tables seem WAY too advanced for my liking.

First of all, you should listen to EVERYONE telling you to slow down and listen to your PTs/surgeon! I live in an area where my PT is part of what is known as the Functional Rehab Network of PTs, which is fairly new and cutting edge stuff - they deal mainly with younger people who are either injured or just need help getting stronger, etc to avoid future injuries by using more functional rehab techniques. They are often pushing the envelope of generally accepted rehab times, and I think they would be sick to their stomachs to hear of someone running after 6 weeks, muchless biking 5-6 miles (unless its REALLY low intensity). I was instructed not to run for at LEAST 12 weeks, and when I started doing that, it was under observation on a treadmill (The eliptical machines would be a much better way to supplant your biking if you get bored, because of less impact and a controlled range of motion).

I'm going to stop running. That was just a bad idea on my part. I ran cross country and track in college last year so not being able to run for the last two months has been killing me. I'm just anxious to get back and thought that since I went into surgery in top condition, and at such a young age, I'd be able to push things really fast in my recovery. But just because I can do these things doesn't necessarily mean I should be. The bones are probably still very weak from the screws that they inserted, so a high impact activity like running could definitely lead to some serious problems.

I'm going to keep biking though and I'll look into some elliptical work. When I bike I do almost all of the work with my right leg (the one I didn't have surgery on) so my left leg really is just along for the ride. My knee itself usually feels better when I get done riding because it just feels like its been stretched out really well.

WaCougMBS wrote:5-6 weeks is a good point for looking to regain almost full extension and flexion, though I'm guessing you aren't truly all the way back to where you were pre-injury. Are you completely full weight-bearing on the bad knee leg at this point? How many times per week are you going to PT? You should be going 2-3 times a week, which is honestly about all the workout you need in the first trimester of recovery. I can't imagine that you are able to bear your weight or cut/turn/rotate normally at this point, which are all signs that your body isn't ready for the activity level you are putting it through. Also, at this point your muscle mass in your calf and quad are going to be sub-par compared to the others, which will make you favor the leg and cheat by over-using/over-stressing your "good" leg.

I have full extension but you're right my flexion is not quite all the way back, the last time it was measured I had a 143 degree bend, this is close to normal but not quite there yet. I am completely full weight bearing on my bad knee. I started walking with just a full leg brace after two weeks and by three weeks I was walking a couple of miles a day without the brace. I kept walking more and more but it's just no longer a challenge for me so I decided I'd ease myself back into jogging, which looks like it was a bad idea.

I was lucky because I live about 20 miles north of Rochester, Minnesota and my mother works at the Mayo Clinic so I have access to some of the best doctors in the world. Right now I'm going to PT once a week. I have full weight bearing on my bad leg and have had it for about two weeks. I've been doing one legged squats (with no extra weight of course) and those seem to have helped me quite a bit. I can turn and pivot normally when walking but won't be attempting to do it while running any time soon.

WaCougMBS wrote:The road to recovery is long, but it is ALWAYS a good idea to "redshirt" yourself from contact sports for a whole year, and even wait 6-9 months on activities like golf, etc. I had the luxury of being out of college when it happened to me and was in no hurry to get back for a HS/collegiate sport, which no doubt helped, but just don't forget that this is the only knee you get and that you NEVER want to go through with this surgery again. If you reinjure yourself by pushing too hard at first, the success rate of further surgeries plummets exponentially. I completely understand the compulsion to get back on the horse asap, you have to trust your doctors and the advice around here - slow down and play it safe for the first 180 days - you have that knee for the next 50-80 years, and with arthritis a very real thing on the horizon already, don't add to the list...please? :-o ;-)

Hope this helps man ;-D

Michael

This did help a lot. It's great to hear from someone who has already gone through this successfully.

Jake
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Balanced Man » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:41 pm

I tore my ACL, MCL and my cartilage in 1994 (first game of my Freshman year of High school... ugh.

I really can't help you on timeframes and such, since medical technology has waaaaaay advanced. I hope everything turns out great for you though. ;-D
The Balanced Man
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:04 pm

So today, nearly 6 months after my operation disaster strikes.

Everything had been going well. For 6 months, I did exactly what I was told by my PT and surgeon. About 5 weeks ago I was put on a running program by my PT...as of yesterday I was doing 30 minute runs every other day. Everything was going great...

Today was supposed to be my last appointment and I was going to be allowed to return to full sports activities in about a month-and-a-half. However, today I was working with my PT doing a variety of exercises to check my rehabilitation progress. I was doing well until we made it to the vertical leap portion. (I assume most of you know what happened by now). I jumped off my right leg (non-injured) but lost my balance mid-air and started falling backwards. Instinctively, I attempted to regain my balance during my awkward landing. I landed on both feet and put just enough force on my left knee to tear the graft which was put in.

After finally regaining almost full mobility, I find myself back at square one. :~( Ten minutes after the incident I was told by my surgeon that I would need the same surgery AGAIN. Both my PT and surgeon just sat there in disbelief as they game me this crushing blow. In 20+ years of rehabilitation work, they said they had never heard of anything like this.

The timing could not have been worse. I go back to school tomorrow and surgery simply isn't an option for me right now. After my first tear, I elected to have surgery right away. I'm curious, to anyone who has had this surgery before, do you know how long it will be before I can simply walk fairly regularly again without surgery? If I remember correctly, I was able to walk a bit before I had surgery the first time. So any chance I'll be able to walk around campus in a couple of weeks??

I could use some good news right now.
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk