Torn ACL Recovery - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Torn ACL Recovery

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Torn ACL Recovery

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:35 am

jake_twothousandfive wrote:So today, nearly 6 months after my operation disaster strikes.

Everything had been going well. For 6 months, I did exactly what I was told by my PT and surgeon. About 5 weeks ago I was put on a running program by my PT...as of yesterday I was doing 30 minute runs every other day. Everything was going great...

Today was supposed to be my last appointment and I was going to be allowed to return to full sports activities in about a month-and-a-half. However, today I was working with my PT doing a variety of exercises to check my rehabilitation progress. I was doing well until we made it to the vertical leap portion. (I assume most of you know what happened by now). I jumped off my right leg (non-injured) but lost my balance mid-air and started falling backwards. Instinctively, I attempted to regain my balance during my awkward landing. I landed on both feet and put just enough force on my left knee to tear the graft which was put in.

After finally regaining almost full mobility, I find myself back at square one. :~( Ten minutes after the incident I was told by my surgeon that I would need the same surgery AGAIN. Both my PT and surgeon just sat there in disbelief as they game me this crushing blow. In 20+ years of rehabilitation work, they said they had never heard of anything like this.

The timing could not have been worse. I go back to school tomorrow and surgery simply isn't an option for me right now. After my first tear, I elected to have surgery right away. I'm curious, to anyone who has had this surgery before, do you know how long it will be before I can simply walk fairly regularly again without surgery? If I remember correctly, I was able to walk a bit before I had surgery the first time. So any chance I'll be able to walk around campus in a couple of weeks??

I could use some good news right now.

I'm REALLY sorry to hear this man, what a bummer :-/

I'm at work right now and can't really weigh in, but I'll certainly post again when I can - just wanted to comiserate and tell you how bad I feel to hear this. Things will turn around man, just keep workin your butt off and try to keep that thing as safe as possible in the mean time !+)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk