Roger Ebert: The Balcony Is Closed - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Roger Ebert: The Balcony Is Closed

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roger Ebert: The Balcony Is Closed

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:34 pm

When I grew up, I was always a big Siskel & Ebert fan. Though I didn't always agree with Roger's opinions, I always respected him for his candor and sense of humor. Seems Ebert & Roeper is now taking a permanent leave of absence. :,-(

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008/07 ... losed.html
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roger Ebert: The Balcony Is Closed

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 pm

Sad to hear the show as we know it is coming to an end :-t

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:15 pm

The show as I know it ended when Gene Siskel died. That was a great show, and for the time (pre-cable for most people, including me), it was the ONLY outlet for movie trailers just about anywhere. I really, really liked At the Movies back in the day.

There are some great clips of their reviews from the 1980s on YouTube that are must-see. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:24 pm

I rarely watched them but knew that if it was 2 thumbs up that I wouldn't like it. I respected them just never liked what they did.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 am

knapplc wrote:The show as I know it ended when Gene Siskel died. That was a great show, and for the time (pre-cable for most people, including me), it was the ONLY outlet for movie trailers just about anywhere. I really, really liked At the Movies back in the day.

There are some great clips of their reviews from the 1980s on YouTube that are must-see. ;-D

I'm too lazy to look for it, but there's a great clip of them ripping Ferris Bueller's Day Off upon their first review of it. Classic stuff indeed. Imagine ripping the quintessential teen film of the decade only to look back on your review twenty years later and chuckle. :-b
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:38 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
knapplc wrote:The show as I know it ended when Gene Siskel died. That was a great show, and for the time (pre-cable for most people, including me), it was the ONLY outlet for movie trailers just about anywhere. I really, really liked At the Movies back in the day.

I'm too lazy to look for it, but there's a great clip of them ripping Ferris Bueller's Day Off upon their first review of it. Classic stuff indeed. Imagine ripping the quintessential teen film of the decade only to look back on your review twenty years later and chuckle. :-b

Here you go. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:23 pm

Metroid wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

Here you go. ;-D

i'm too lazy to click the link
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:01 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm too lazy to click the link

Thats cool I already clicked it and watched it for you. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Metroid wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

Here you go. ;-D

I looked that up yesterday too. I was too lazy to link to it. :-b
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:40 am

Metroid wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i'm too lazy to click the link

Thats cool I already clicked it and watched it for you. ;-D

can you post a synopsis for me, or better yet a full transcript?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk