Thoughts on Frank Gore - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Thoughts on Frank Gore

Moderator: Football Moderators

Thoughts on Frank Gore

Postby SniperShot » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:00 am

Is this guy really worth it this year?

I know 2006 was awesome, and he did have 1000+ yard season last year, but only 6 TD's. I have a feeling that best case he's going to match that or do worse in 2008. San Fransisco's offense still seems pretty crappy and I have a feeling teams will be able to shut him down. I didn't watch much of the 49ers last year but I did see great things from Gore in 2006, before anybody knew who the heck he was really...

Wasn't he slowed by some injury deals last year too?

Also the 49ers have "mad martz" now. I wonder if that will mean Marshall Faulk type numbers or non existent numbers due to so many other players getting the ball. Just another question that seems to have a foggy answer.

Somebody give me some good reasons as to why I should take this guy with my 8th or 9th selection. (Where he usually goes in redrafts) I just feel really shaky about him for some reason at the moment. I think I like him way, way, way more in PPR leagues.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Thoughts on Frank Gore

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:14 am

In a PPR league you shouldn't have a tough time taking him that late, but I just cannot ignore the fact that Martz consistently ignores the running game, and its only a matter of time before it becomes a habit in SF...Gore should get 50+ receptions if healthy which makes him valuable, but I'm really not that excited about him, they still need talent on the outside to free things up for him...So granted I'm not really that high I'd take him over LJ, but in a standard scoring redraft I would feel more comfortable with McGahee.

Then there were the grumblings about him losing goal line carries because of the fumbling problem, I just like more assurance in my 1st rd pick and he doesn't provide alot of security, I would be hoping that Lynch made it to you, he makes a much better pick if available.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Azrael » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:41 am

Here's a link to a thread where Martz's offensive philosphy was discussed. There is evidence to support that when Martz is able to run he does. Faulk got the ball 19-20 times a game when healthy and averaged 5ypc. In Detroit backs averaged 3.8ypc and got it about 15 times a game. Generally speaking the teams that run it the best, run it the most.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=388648&p=2726972&hilit=+Kevin+Smith#p2726972

One thing Martz does do is get his backs the ball and he knows how to get them to finish. Despite carrying the ball only 153 times last year KJ still scored 8 times. The year before that he scored 8 times as well and caught a ton of passes. Gore will rack up the yardage, catches, and score TDs under Martz. He may not have a ton of 100yd rushing games but I think you can expect alot of 80yd rushing games with another 40-50 receiving yards with a TD more often than not.

Don't worry about the fumble issue either. It is not uncommon for guys to fumble 3-4 times a year. Jackson and Peterson both fumbled about the same. Clinton Portis fumbles quite a bit. No one ever talks about these guys losing GL touches.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby onnestabe » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:20 pm

Good points, Az.

I think that Gore will have a better year than last year, although maybe not by much. The offense still figures to be mediocre just based on the talent level, but I do think that Martz will utilize the running game more than he has in recent memory because I think the defense will play well enough that he won't be playing catch-up for the last 3 quarters of every game like he was in Detroit. I think that Alex Smith will play much better under Martz's tutelage, but he may not be durable enough to last very long considering how many hits Martz QBs take. It's hard to analyze how all of this impacts Gore, but I think that Martz will make the overall offensive production rise, and Gore's production will rise with it.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby 011472 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:39 pm

From fanball:

07/28/08 04:28 PM
THE NEWS
As expected, Frank Gore will be used extensively in the passing game as well as the running attack according to Mike Martz. The Press Democrat reports Martz recently said "We'll use (Gore) everywhere we can in the running game, of course. And then in the passing game, we'll use him every way possible, as a deep threat, a short threat and a crossing threat. Watching him out there, he's really comfortable with himself. We have to be careful not to overload him and take away from what he's there for and what he really does well, which is run the football. But we'll create some scenarios for him, too."
Our View
Gore has been one of the better fantasy backs in the league over the past two years and owners are hoping that a pass-happy OC won't diminish his value. It would seem they will get their wish as Martz indicates his realization that Gore is the most valuable offensive player on his new team.

If this is to be believed, Martz sees that Gore's the best thing he's got going. I do like Gore in the passing game and I think his receptions, which are typically among the RB leaders will go up.

He fumbled 4 times last year, and 3 were lost. I don't know where that stands among the rest of the league, but I can't imagine him losing goal line carries. Who would they trust more? Foster?
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:38 pm

Frank Gore is going to be the centerpiece of the 49er offense in 2008.

And in 2008, that is RARE to find in a RB. Because few RBs will have both the talent to be that kind of player and also have the pedigree that lands themselves in a position to get those kind of touches.

Frank Gore led in NFC in rushing yards 2 seasons ago. On a team led by 2nd year QB Alex Smith. With no WRs to speak of. With no defense to speak of. With no OC to speak of. The guy put together nearly 2,200 yards from scrimmage.... Those are Marshall Faulk type numbers people.

Mike Martz is going to instantly make this offense respectable. Frank Gore can catch the football very well. Mike Martz knows how to utilize a RB like Gore very well. Honestly, this is a match made in heaven for Frank Gore and I think he will exceed what he did back in 2006 barring injury.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby stomperrob » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:32 pm

Interesting piece...

49ers' Gore expecting a better season
MARTZ'S OFFENSE MAKES A DIFFERENCE
By Daniel Brown Mercury News
Article Launched: 08/26/2008 07:57:07 PM PDT

...con't

Atop his list is new coordinator Mike Martz, who has the offense sing ing in 11-part harmony. The 49ers' 425 yards of total offense against the Chicago Bears last week marked their highest total in an exhibition game since 1996.

"We have a new leader, man, a new leader on the ship,'' Gore said of Martz. "When he stands up in the room, and you hear him talk, you know that he knows what he's talking about. Everything is going to change this year."

Gore said he likes this offense even better than the one Norv Turner ran — the one in which Gore set the 49ers' single-season record with 1,695 yards rushing.

If he prefers Martz's system to Turner's, you can imagine how much better he likes it than Jim Hostler's. Last season, the 49ers looked like they were trying to move a boulder uphill.

"It had to take the whole half to get across the 50-yard line,'' Gore recalled.

Hostler's schemes lacked imagination — but not common sense. At least Hostler was smart enough to get the ball to Gore as often as possible. Gore had 40.5 percent of the 49ers' net offensive yards, the highest percentage in the NFL, according to Stats LLC.

San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson was second at 38.6, and Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook was third at 36.7.

The problem for Gore was that his carries became too predictable. Defensive coordinators, as well as fans, reporters and beer vendors, knew when Gore was going to get the ball. Opponents lined up eight-man fronts and dared the 49ers to pass.

"They can't do that anymore,'' Gore said. "Even when we played Chicago, you saw other guys — guys you never heard of — getting open and making good plays. That's a big thing."

con't...

rest of article: http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_103 ... ck_check=1
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby LeBron James » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:03 pm

Kensat30 wrote:Frank Gore is going to be the centerpiece of the 49er offense in 2008.

And in 2008, that is RARE to find in a RB. Because few RBs will have both the talent to be that kind of player and also have the pedigree that lands themselves in a position to get those kind of touches.

Frank Gore led in NFC in rushing yards 2 seasons ago. On a team led by 2nd year QB Alex Smith. With no WRs to speak of. With no defense to speak of. With no OC to speak of. The guy put together nearly 2,200 yards from scrimmage.... Those are Marshall Faulk type numbers people.

Mike Martz is going to instantly make this offense respectable. Frank Gore can catch the football very well. Mike Martz knows how to utilize a RB like Gore very well. Honestly, this is a match made in heaven for Frank Gore and I think he will exceed what he did back in 2006 barring injury.

I agree. I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of people pissed that they passed up on Gore based on last year's stats, which is irrelevant this year.
LeBron James
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm

In an interview on the radio today he said he really likes Martz system. I think he could very well have a year like 2 years ago but only if the offense can function.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:33 pm

Gore finished 9th amongst RB's last year in an offense that ranked 32nd in most categories. He also missed a game. He has nowhere to go but up. He's already proven he's a reliable pass catcher, and who else does SF even have on offense? Vernon Davis? Hmmm.... I expect Gore to get a heavy, heavy workload even if a good chunk of that workload comes through the air. But as long as your league awards teh same amount of points for receiving yardage as it does rushing yardage, what's the difference?

As someone else stated, Marshall Faulk was fantasy king in Martz' offense. Of course the 49ers have nowhere near the weapons in the passing game that the Rams had in their hay day, but still, the 49ers were the worst offensive team in the league last year, so again, Gore has nowhere to go but up.

And if Gore has nowhere to go but up, and he finished 9th last year, and is being drafted between 7-10 this year, I think you're getting a heck of a steal to get him 7-10. The only RB's I'd draft over him are LT, ADP, S-Jax, Addai and Westy, and possibly Barber. BUt I think he'll do better than Portis, McGahee, Lynch, etc. I'd say a 7th place finish would be worst case scenario for Gore assuming he stays healthy for at least 14-15 games.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk