Bullies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Bullies

Postby VaderFin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Nobody calls me chicken!!
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 pm

Never really bullied, but this one kid in high school was a bit of an arse. He was one of those fat bully types, but oddly enough he was bullied by the typical jock types, and a couple years older than me. He was also kinda bad at picking targets, as he'd get his butt kicked about 50% of the time. I ran into him in the bathroom once, and although he had never bothered me before, that day he decided it'd be funny to splash me with water while I was washing my hands. I didn't really have a chance to react because he ran out after one handful. So that began the little random encounters where he'd throw things at me whenever he saw me. It stopped after a couple weeks when he decided to throw some smelly gym shorts at me after soccer practice. He missed me and ended up hitting the guy next to me. Found out then that he'd been targeting soccer players for a while because he got jumped by the entire soccer team right then. As you can guess, starting something against an entire team in the locker room alone wasn't very smart of him.

Anyways, I ran into him about 5-6 years after high school in Seoul, Korea, of all places. He was lost and couldn't speak much Korean, and he recognized me after spotting my Chicago Bears hat. Ended up drinking a bit at a bar, but once I found out he was the same, stupid moron, I made up some excuse and left to go meet up with some other people. He tried to latch onto me and tag along, but I ditched him successfully in the subway.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:41 pm

VaderFin wrote:Nobody calls me chicken!!

:-b

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Alright, I've shared this story, but I'll share it again as it applies here. When I was in the 2nd grade, I had to walk to a rather crowded bus stop to get to school. There was a kindergartner who was influenced by a 5th grader to pick on me. The 5th grader was a notorious trouble-maker in my neighborhood and was constantly egging the kindergartner on, making fun of me, calling me names, poking me, etc. I eventually walked another couple blocks to another bus stop in an attempt to avoid them, but they figured it out and followed me there so I switched back. Anyway, I overheard the 5th grader tell the little kid to punch me in the nose. And he did. I had had it by this time and punched that kid right in the upper lip. Not the kindergartner, the 5th grader. He fell down and everything. It was awesome. Both kids were at the other bus stop for the rest of the school year. A pretty significant building in that town where I grew up burned to the ground when I think I was in junior high. Turns out it was that 5th grader that did it. Doesn't surprise me.

Being a small, skinny kid you'd think I would have been bullied a lot, but I rarely was. A couple instances that I recall, but I didn't mind fighting and most bullies don't like picking on kids that fight back.

My kid stood up to a bully last school year when he pushed a girl to the ground. The kid immediately backed off (and my kid's small for his age) and hasn't bothered that girl again. Apparently the girl follows my boy around everywhere now. I think bullying is so much more about perception than it is about size and being a tough guy. Any parents out there I encourage them to get their kids into martial arts. Not wanting to engage a bully, but knowing you can if you had to is a powerful thing.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:02 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Any parents out there I encourage them to get their kids into martial arts. Not wanting to engage a bully, but knowing you can if you had to is a powerful thing.

True. Funny thing was, knowing martial arts actually got me into fights. It's not that I didn't learn discipline but because I knew a couple of styles of martial arts as a teenager, a lot of kids wanted to test me and they didn't go about it the right way. I got into a lot of fights, sometimes straight up brawls. It's bad enough I inherited a terrible temper which I actually handle well 90% of the time but if my fuse ran very short, well, adrenaline talks and reason's out the window. Thankfully, they decreased by the time I was in college but I got into my fair share of them at that age too.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:14 am

Madison wrote:The Devil whispered in my ear..... he made his message clear when he said...

Sweep the leg... Johnny... sweep the leg....

A really cool video actually for those who grew up with this. ;-D

Mad - you just made my day with this one - thanks bud. ;-D
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:00 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Any parents out there I encourage them to get their kids into martial arts. Not wanting to engage a bully, but knowing you can if you had to is a powerful thing.

True. Funny thing was, knowing martial arts actually got me into fights. It's not that I didn't learn discipline but because I knew a couple of styles of martial arts as a teenager, a lot of kids wanted to test me and they didn't go about it the right way. I got into a lot of fights, sometimes straight up brawls. It's bad enough I inherited a terrible temper which I actually handle well 90% of the time but if my fuse ran very short, well, adrenaline talks and reason's out the window. Thankfully, they decreased by the time I was in college but I got into my fair share of them at that age too.

I think this is one of the reasons why some schools stress that the student not share that they are in martial arts. So they don't get tested. Some schools strictly enforce this and I think it's a decent idea, however kind of difficult for a kid who needs the occasional reason (like pride) to keep going when it gets boring and monotonous.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:38 pm

bullies are a lot like dogs IMO. as long as you show them that you arent scared, and reflect confidence (even if it isnt the case), they generally back down. i used to do this back in high school when i was pretty small and it seemed to work pretty well. i did end up getting in one "fight" in a pickup game of football with a bully and he never messed with me again. he was an anomoly though..the dude just wouldnt give up picking on me and my friends and i finally got tired of it.

since high school i lifted a lot and put on some weight, and now no one starts anything with me.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:25 am

deluxe_247 wrote:since high school i lifted a lot and put on some weight, and now no one starts anything with me.

except on the internet, you punk.

i still haven't got around to setting up xbl. :-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:24 am

lmcjaho wrote:
Madison wrote:The Devil whispered in my ear..... he made his message clear when he said...

Sweep the leg... Johnny... sweep the leg....

A really cool video actually for those who grew up with this. ;-D

Mad - you just made my day with this one - thanks bud. ;-D

The thanks should really go to Swiper. He's the one who let me know about it. ;-D All I did was bookmark it. :-b (and listen to it once in awhile :-b ).

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk